HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:04 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Mr B....'s Avatar
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash340 View Post
Cody, Daryl or anybody,

Could you guys post some pics if possible on your antenna install? I just got a Pike ET with the 2.4 fuse and was wondering if I could mount the wiskers in the front part of the fuse inside or is it better to still run them outside of the fuse?

Thanks for your help!

Mark G



I have been working on this problem and this is what I have come up with! I have to make more tooling for mass production and will have some ready for the AMA show! They are small enough to fit on DLG's as well.

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr B....; Dec 31, 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
Practice Makes Precision
TDisaster's Avatar
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B.... View Post
I have been working on this problem and this is what I have come up with! I have to make more tooling for mass production and will have some ready for the AMA show! They are small enough to fit on DLG's as well.

Merrill
I'd love a set of those!

Much cleaner than my shrink wrap setup.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:27 PM
LSF - IV
Hostage-46's Avatar
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,096 Posts
Those do look nice, I'd buy a few sets. As an alternative, Spektrum has an antenna exit guide.
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 10:36 AM
Registered User
Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
20 Posts
Single servo spoiler/tow release setup

Need some help with new SD-10G. Nice radio. So, old res bird with single servo for spoilers and tow release. I've got it working but I suspect there is a better/easier way to do this. In a nutshell, servo moves with throt/flap stick up to open spoilers and when I throw a switch the servo moves the other way (when spoilers are closed) to pop the tow. I first got it to work in Aero mode by using the throttle cut, but I'm a glider guy so I found a way to make it work in the glid mode via camber settings but I'm still not completely sure there is an not an easy and simple way to do this. Trims maybe. I guess I'm looking for a way to basically set an endpoint on the flaps (or multiple end points) and still have control via the stick.

So how would you SD-10g experts do this..?? Any help greatly appreciated, as I'm just getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and these fancy new rigs will take some learning....

rp
r.p. is offline Find More Posts by r.p.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 11:44 AM
cody303's Avatar
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.p. View Post
Need some help with new SD-10G. Nice radio. So, old res bird with single servo for spoilers and tow release. I've got it working but I suspect there is a better/easier way to do this. In a nutshell, servo moves with throt/flap stick up to open spoilers and when I throw a switch the servo moves the other way (when spoilers are closed) to pop the tow. I first got it to work in Aero mode by using the throttle cut, but I'm a glider guy so I found a way to make it work in the glid mode via camber settings but I'm still not completely sure there is an not an easy and simple way to do this. Trims maybe. I guess I'm looking for a way to basically set an endpoint on the flaps (or multiple end points) and still have control via the stick.

So how would you SD-10g experts do this..?? Any help greatly appreciated, as I'm just getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and these fancy new rigs will take some learning....

rp
Camber seems like the best way to do this if you want to use it on a switch...

Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 01:53 PM
Registered User
Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody303 View Post
Camber seems like the best way to do this if you want to use it on a switch...

Cody
Thanks Cody. Maybe I am getting the hang of this beast afterall....

rp
r.p. is offline Find More Posts by r.p.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 02:10 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
onethermal's Avatar
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
887 Posts
I had my spoilers set up on my Stylus for the throttle/flap stick and I have the camber slider for small during flight elevator changes.
I hope to have the same set up, I have not started to program my SD 10 but it looks quite a bit easier than the Stylus.

I will start in a day or two..right now I am cycling the battery pack first.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 02:23 PM
Registered User
Rich Speroni's Avatar
Fairview, California
Joined Jun 2003
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.p. View Post
Need some help with new SD-10G. Nice radio. So, old res bird with single servo for spoilers and tow release. I've got it working but I suspect there is a better/easier way to do this. In a nutshell, servo moves with throt/flap stick up to open spoilers and when I throw a switch the servo moves the other way (when spoilers are closed) to pop the tow. I first got it to work in Aero mode by using the throttle cut, but I'm a glider guy so I found a way to make it work in the glid mode via camber settings but I'm still not completely sure there is an not an easy and simple way to do this. Trims maybe. I guess I'm looking for a way to basically set an endpoint on the flaps (or multiple end points) and still have control via the stick.

So how would you SD-10g experts do this..?? Any help greatly appreciated, as I'm just getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and these fancy new rigs will take some learning....

rp
Using Glider mode

Normally when I'm using spoilers with one servo. I use the camber slider on the left side. I set the slider all the way up for closed spoiler. Pull slider down for spoilers deploy. When the spoilers suddenly come out it causes the plane to drop quickly. To compensate for this sudden drop I use a added UP elevator mix
Go to F mode under MIXING, "Camber to Elevator" mix to control the decent by dialing in up elevator.

Now if I don't have enough spoiler throw using the camber slider, I use the the Flap Stick to control spoilers.

Having the flap stick all the way up would make the spoilers be closed. Pulling it down would make the spoilers deploy. Again go F mode MIXING "Flap to Elevator" mix to control the decent with up elevator.

Now for the tow release you can use the spring switch on the upper top left (21). Go into SW assignments scroll to Motor set it to 21. So every time you pull towards you, the tow release will activate. Releasing #21 will return the servo to its starting point.

Rich
Rich Speroni is offline Find More Posts by Rich Speroni
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:42 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Tim Wolff's Avatar
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethermal View Post
I had my spoilers set up on my Stylus for the throttle/flap stick and I have the camber slider for small during flight elevator changes.
I hope to have the same set up, I have not started to program my SD 10 but it looks quite a bit easier than the Stylus.

I will start in a day or two..right now I am cycling the battery pack first.

Clarence
Same here, but I've found I need more up elevator deflection in the middle of the spoiler deflection. At full spoiler the plane acts exactly as I want it, but at partial spoiler it needs more elevator.

Do you know how to do this on the Stylus with a Glider card? I don't know if I'll be setting up this plane with the SD-10G.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:37 AM
Skye Malcolm
skye8070's Avatar
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash340 View Post
Cody, Daryl or anybody,

Could you guys post some pics if possible on your antenna install? I just got a Pike ET with the 2.4 fuse and was wondering if I could mount the wiskers in the front part of the fuse inside or is it better to still run them outside of the fuse?

Thanks for your help!

Mark G
Been flying this setup since July with no failsafe mode activated. I'd try something that works in your plane and then bring it outside (with the wing attached) and place it in a small tree and walk away to do a real world range check with the transmitter set to low power. Make sure you try different orientations. This has two advantages over someone holding it: 1st, people are maybe a bit electrically conductive so who knows how the 2.4 bounces around. 2nd, it gives the sailplane and early scary introduction to trees. Especially if you tell it you'll never be back as you walk away. Sure fire way to keep it out of trees until it forgets the lesson. I've got a pear tree out near the sidewalk in front the house that's perfect for this. In that case there's a third advantage: Your neighbors will really begin to wonder about you if they catch you doing this and will be less likely to ask you to do responsible things like water their plants or feed their dog while they're away.
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2010, 03:49 PM
Mark Gauding
USA, MO, Wentzville
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
Thanks for the replies! This really helps out!

Mark Gauding
scootertrash340 is offline Find More Posts by scootertrash340
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2010, 01:38 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
winchdoc's Avatar
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,466 Posts
Antenna bracket

Here is an antenna bracket I made for the install on my XICA.
This fuse is all FG and Kevlar except for the CF servo tray.
This is my first 2.4 gigglehurts installation so I want it to be right.
What do you folks think?
I'll range test it later when it's not raining so much.


WinchDoc

Who (now) has very nice side sliders on his SD-10G...
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2010, 02:35 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Tim Wolff's Avatar
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc View Post
WinchDoc

Who (now) has very nice side sliders on his SD-10G...
Details? I'm accoustomed to the sliders on the Stylus and the ones on SD-10G feel flimsily by comparasion. I fear they will be easily bumped and the ratching action so light that it will be difficult to find neutral when flying....Alright, they feel cheap, ok?
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2010, 02:41 PM
Practice Makes Precision
TDisaster's Avatar
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Details? I'm accoustomed to the sliders on the Stylus and the ones on SD-10G feel flimsily by comparasion. I fear they will be easily bumped and the ratching action so light that it will be difficult to find neutral when flying....Alright, they feel cheap, ok?
I've set mine to beep when it gets back to neutral.

Works great so far.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2010, 02:46 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
winchdoc's Avatar
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,466 Posts
Skip Miller

I just wanted to give Skipper a well-deserved plug, here.

Recently, there have been a bunch of "black friday" sales on the SD-10G including free extra RXs and deep discounts.

Now, maybe it's because I'm important enough or something, but Skip told me they'd match any of the discount house deals. Whoo Hoo!
SO, I ordered one!

Skip was also kind enough to load a few sample programs on it just so I could see how the programming works.

The radio arrived toot sweet, and I was surprised how easy it was to set up.

Then I discovered there was a warranty issue with one of the many 3 position switches.

Skip apologised to me like it was somehow HIS fault, and offered to pay the shipping to Airtronics for the repair.

I got the radio back, good as new.


WinchDoc

Who STILL wants to know where the propellers are...
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Airtronics SD-10G 2.4 GHz System Tfour2 Radios 8 Dec 19, 2008 03:11 PM
Sold BRAND NEW FUTABA RADIO 7C 2.4 GHz FASST TX with "I" sticker rcfunhouse Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 5 Apr 10, 2008 10:48 PM
Question need rx for eflite 2.4 tx or new tx auctioneeral Radios 3 Feb 28, 2008 11:32 AM
Cool New Kyosho Minimum micro 2.4 GHz Cessna Solarsail Electric Plane Talk 2 Mar 12, 2007 10:50 AM
FS All New Airtronics RD6000 Sport w/dual TX carrying case Mike Hopkins Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Apr 06, 2005 10:46 PM