HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:59 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,754 Posts
I received mone in 3 days! I have it all sanded with a skim coating of Durhams water putty and light wieght spackle... 50/50. Spread it on and then sand it almost all off. Leaves a nice smooth finish and gets rid of all the mold holds and bumps. I will do the fiberglass reinforcing around the nose (hardened off with WBPU), and add the two carbon fiber rods into the nose. I will then air brush and finish off with a coat of WBPU.
Do people have to untape the plastic nose covering everytime you need to charge the batteries? Any better way to gain access to electronics?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2013, 09:19 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,287 Posts
X550AIOP FPV 808#16 Holden Field Tom's DLG (5 min 23 sec)

I actually caught a thermal on the last throw but the quad landed with the battery alarm going off.

I had a great day with this thing. It catches lift amazingly well. I caught 4 thermals with it yesterday. They were moving fast over the swamp so I didn't get too long of a duration. The cool thing was actually launching into a thermal. It was obvious as it would start rising almost immediately. First time I have done DLG and caught a thermal. Good times!
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old May 22, 2013, 01:00 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,454 Posts
Just got mine ! what a bargin !! Can any FASST user tell me if there is a micro RX ?
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old May 22, 2013, 05:23 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,754 Posts
If not, you may want to pry the plastic case off of the receiver to save space. That is what I did for my Spektrum AR4000. I then heat shrink wrapped it.
Old May 22, 2013, 05:26 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,754 Posts
BTW,
Here is a link to another Alula thread that is much more active...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...53973&page=133
Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Jun 2007
4 Posts
Thank you for all the great posts and video clips here featuring the Alula. Can anyone point me in the right direction re; the balance "dimples" on the Alula where I set up the c.o.g.? I managed to sand them out; stoopid me.
JulianB2 is offline Find More Posts by JulianB2
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:04 AM
Carmel, IN
Joined May 2003
14 Posts
Just finished building my ALULA. Great review, and great plane.

Question here. I'm using a small 7.4V LiPO battery as receiver battery. It's a lot lighter than the 1/3AA size NiMH battery pack. Therefore, the CG is way way WAY off. I have to add quite a bid of weight to balance the CG.

My idea was to make the plane light as possible... I am using really light servos, RX and battery... and if I have to add so much weight just to balance this, it defeats purpose.

Any cood ideas?
jasonsjwou is offline Find More Posts by jasonsjwou
Last edited by jasonsjwou; Aug 23, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:18 PM
Life is better, when you fly.
United States, CO, Conifer
Joined Oct 2006
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsjwou View Post
Just finished building my ALULA. Great review, and great plane.

My idea was to make the plane light as possible... I am using really light servos, RX and battery... and if I have to add so much weight just to balance this, it defeats purpose.

Any cood ideas?

Yup! One of the guys out here on the Colorado Front Range Swiss Cheesed his Alula. It fly's great! In fact a car even ran over it and it still flys awesome.
You can search that forum for SwAlula or Swiss, or Swissed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post25494933
Docta is offline Find More Posts by Docta