HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:55 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Thanks. Sorry to hear all your problems with the MCPX. I may be coming to the same conclusion about the small Blade helis. I have not decided whether or not I will replace the lost one.

Overall I think I've gotten off pretty easy considering the NCPX's have been my training machines (I did practice with the NQX first). Since purchasing the first one in March I've replaced one landing skid, three tail booms, three canopies, several motors, and had four board failures one of which Horizon replaced. I cringe now every time I make a mistake wondering is the board will still be okay. After Mega's Micros repairs them they seem to be much more durable.
Fwtb is offline Find More Posts by Fwtb
Last edited by Fwtb; Jul 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:42 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,531 Posts
I was all on board with Blade. Birds flew fine and held up pretty good. Then my Nano fried servo, replaced now fine. . Then Mcp-x's were dropping like crazy. My Walkera's have flown more with less issues. Plus all flying . I replaced one servo on Genius c/p. This was my very first c/p i learned to fly on. All my Walkera's are flying, not so with Blade. No board or RX has failed. Plus bird for bird fly smoother than jittery Blade helis. Pick one up you feel is buzzing. Linear servos suck. Rortary servos you can rebuild. I liked flying Mcp-x's and still do but who knows when they will go south. Yes boards can be fixed, servos replaced but is it worth it ? Heli is disc. Once very sought after, now not so much. Upgrades help but guess time to move on. .
My Nanos bl/ V120D02s and mini c/p bl are my go to helis for Max fun. Genius c/p's/ stock Mini c/p's and remaining Mcp-x's next. I was going to upgrade a couple Mcp-x's to bl. Not going to happen now. Most likely fix one of downed Mcp-x's and other two donars.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:28 AM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2013
146 Posts
I just had one of my nano's smoke on me. I was buzzing around and ended up on top of the roof. what I saw next was a WTH moment. Smoke was coming out of it. Not just a little but continuously. So Ran and got my ladder and got it off the roof. Yes it was still smoking. Disconnected the battery and pulled the canopy off ( which was fine but warm) and found my BL ESC with a big old burn hole in it.
Still not sure what caused this. the ESC had been installed for about four months now.
Now when I put the stock motor in it won't go full throttle anymore. Tells me I got 3-1 damage as well.

Gravy
Gravythe Clown is offline Find More Posts by Gravythe Clown
Old Jul 14, 2014, 02:26 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,531 Posts
Sounds like burnt bl esc damaged board also. Call HH and see if they can help ?
They will want reciets, pays to keep them. Ask nice I know if mad cool down a little. I know I would not be to happy about what happened.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:33 PM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2013
146 Posts
I'm not upset at all. I know I don't have the reciept so when it happened I just figured I need to buy a new BL ESC. I was just surprised to see it actually burn up like that.

Gravy
Gravythe Clown is offline Find More Posts by Gravythe Clown
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:20 PM
Portugal, Beja District, Alvito Municipality
Joined Aug 2013
4 Posts
You could always try the manufacturers in China .
dastardly2013 is offline Find More Posts by dastardly2013
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:29 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,531 Posts
The Nano CP-X is one of smallest c/p helis out there. dispite small size flys really very well.. FWIW the bl kit is a must have after you fly it awhile stock. Nothing wrong with stock bird but once you install bl kit heli is better and adds to fun factor.
#1 Nano is over a yera old/ bl upgrade. Replaced one servo as my throws were to high and over stressed elevator sevo. #2 was bought with bad board, fixed and also has bl kit. both fly excellent. Both have colored blades main/tail rest is stock Blade parts. I use E-flite 45 C battery as they work the best so far. Plus local H/S has them. Nano tech batteries have bogus ma and c ratings. Think they just guess what they wish. Tried a brand new N/T 160 ma 35 c in MSR-X to check. not even close to E-flite 25 c battery for power. Tried it in Nano and very poor result. Moral of story, don't use cheap batteries in good birds !!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:36 AM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,214 Posts
Nano-techs in all shapes and sizes suck. They may work for a while but have poor cycle life. Lectron 45C lipos work great for me w/BL kit. Also have some smaller 25C ones, same as stock that will work but for a minute or more less air time. Unlike the stock brushed motor, when the BL ESC reaches LVC, the motor just stops, no warning so either set your timer and expect it to quit suddenly if you disregard it - not a big deal since it's so light.
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old Jul 15, 2014, 01:40 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,531 Posts
I had a few nano techs work ok in a few birds. Some were junk from start. They puff easily. Other batteries same charger don't. They are cheap but you get what you pay for.
I use the e-flite as easy to get. I'm sure there are other good batteries and they have been covered. I just flew both my Nanos bl. Right after both V120D02s's.
Man great way to start the day. Geezzeee these little birds fly great.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM
United States, WI, Wauwatosa
Joined Mar 2002
232 Posts
Stupid question - I know people have spliced their battery plugs to shave weight off of the brushless upgrade - has anyone tried running the signal wire to the base of the FET? Mine is burnt out and y'know, I don't think the brushless ESC really needs the full current the FET allows, the signal current from the other side of the FET (like the Asteroid Designs brushless upgrade use) should be enough, right? Hrm.

(mind you, the factory brushless ESC, that is.)

Edit: Nope. That doesn't work. Although having poked at it and removed the damaged FET, I feel a lot more confident that I can put a new one on there. The flanking resistors are annoying, but not so close as to make it impossible.
pfriedel is offline Find More Posts by pfriedel
Last edited by pfriedel; Yesterday at 11:04 PM.
Old Today, 12:57 AM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,214 Posts
A while back I broke the boom and replaced it with a solid one from 2mm round stock I bought from RadicalRC. I couldn't quickly think of a way ti file a front and back flat spot so that both were in exactly the same degree of the boom diameter circle. As a result, the tail twists and it's annoying. I guess I can glue it a bit but I wondered if any one has an easy method of filing matching frame/tail flat spots when making new booms.
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old Today, 01:16 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,531 Posts
Emery boards used for nail files works easy. Sand flats on slowly till boom fits.
The more patient you are the better the fit. Small drop of ca. helps also. Carbon sands easy and just take a few minutes.
Old Today, 01:50 AM
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Mar 2007
491 Posts
I file one end and use that flat spot to swivel off of to match the other end with jewelers files. I have also just did the same thing to make the second end then dremeled the second end with equally good results.
Arthure is online now Find More Posts by Arthure
Old Today, 04:17 AM
Joined Jul 2013
21 Posts
If you tape two emery boards to the work surface, the distance apart of the flats you want, and then work the boom back-and-forth, it should put them at the same angle ?
Dawiev is online now Find More Posts by Dawiev
Last edited by Dawiev; Today at 04:24 AM.