HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Discussion
Best mods to make to a PZ UM T-28?

What mods can I make to this plane to make it a little more durable? Also what battery would be good, as I plan to do aerobatics that require a bit more power, but I don't want to burn the plane out TOO quickly. I was thinking of Hyperion 160mAh batteries? Thanks in advance
sparkyz is offline Find More Posts by sparkyz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:34 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Tape the Fuselage seams above the wing.

A more durable coating on the underside of the nose.

Tape or Tape with CF strips on LE on the wings.

CF strip attached to underside of wing to stiffen it.

Parkflyer Plastics canopy mod... No durability increase, but it makes it look so much better.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
The first time you need to open up the fuse, cut a strip of clear packing tape wider than a standard width of regular scotch tape. Lay the packing tape along the seam first, then slice the seam with a razor knife just as you would have anyways with the factory tape and decals. Then when you close it up, you use the scotch tape. Next time you need to get into the fuse, it is easy to just tear the scotch tape off.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Mar 2008
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyz View Post
What mods can I make to this plane to make it a little more durable? Also what battery would be good, as I plan to do aerobatics that require a bit more power, but I don't want to burn the plane out TOO quickly. I was thinking of Hyperion 160mAh batteries? Thanks in advance
The old Hyperion 160mAh is (history!!!!)

This is what the new (PLUG AND PLAY) UM micro guys use in the T-28..

Nothing on this planet can compare with with the (PLUG AND PLAY) MEGA DURATION of the Miniaviation 190mha Li-Po

The Plug and play Miniaviation 190mha 25c Platinum Edition Battery
http://www.miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html

So if you want to get the best (PLUG AND PLAY) Li-PO on this planet go for the Plug and play (MEGA DURATION) Miniaviation 190mha 25c Platinum Edition Battery.

And make sure you get a Celectra 4-port charger to charge your (MEGA DURATION) Plug and play Miniaviation 190mha 25c Li-po's sparkyz

Quote My MiniAviations gave me 11 mins. in my UM T-28 in wind, WOT when going upwind.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=187

I got 12 minutes on the UM P-51 and didn't hit LVC but I'm going to keep flights to 10 minutes for the motors sake.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=188

Got 1 flight at just over 20 mins today on my T-28 ! But that was all "Scale-flying".
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=154

Just tried the miniaviation 190 25c batts in my Sukhoi Su26 xp, way more power than the Intellect/Hyperion 160 and I am getting 13mins of flight
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=34

I've also tried the new 190 mAh in my Champ now: 25 minutes to LVC.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=10

So why not try some (MEGA DURATION) massive 25c PUNCH!! Plug and play Miniaviation 190mha 25c Li-Po's

richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Thanks for the tips! With the Miniavion Platinum Edition Lipos (190mAh), couldn't I use the charger that comes with the PZ UM T-28? It's the charger that comes with most PZ micros. I would normally buy a seperate charger, but I'm not planning on staying with micros for very long so it would be a bit of a waste for me to buy another charger. Thanks for all of the replies so far, much appreciated
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Tape the Fuselage seams above the wing.

A more durable coating on the underside of the nose.

Tape or Tape with CF strips on LE on the wings.

CF strip attached to underside of wing to stiffen it.

Parkflyer Plastics canopy mod... No durability increase, but it makes it look so much better.
Can you post pics of these things? Some of those abbreviations I am not familiar with.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:51 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyz View Post
Thanks for the tips! With the Miniavion Platinum Edition Lipos (190mAh), couldn't I use the charger that comes with the PZ UM T-28? It's the charger that comes with most PZ micros. I would normally buy a seperate charger, but I'm not planning on staying with micros for very long so it would be a bit of a waste for me to buy another charger. Thanks for all of the replies so far, much appreciated
The standard charger works just fine, the thing with the Celektra is that it will charge 4 batteries in one go, saves time.

BTW,Nice to see that Richos quoted my old post on the miniaviation cells., I am still happy with them, part from longer duration they also seem to give more power.

Tommy
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Thanks UNGN, that was really helpful!!
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:30 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
144 Posts
Where did you get the clear canopy from?
civichb98 is offline Find More Posts by civichb98
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by civichb98 View Post
Where did you get the clear canopy from?
I bought it that way, but the guy I bought the plane from got the canopy from Sparky @ Parklyer Plastics
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:51 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I bought it that way, but the guy I bought the plane from got the canopy from Sparky @ Parklyer Plastics
I google for it and found it about an hour ago and ordered it, thanks
civichb98 is offline Find More Posts by civichb98
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:35 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,510 Posts
Thank you very much UNGN! The timing of this couldn't be better for me

Edit: Does the carbon fiber rod pulling the wings down affect the performance of the plane? Out of the box the wings flare up really high, but after adding the wing strengther, it appears that they are far more close to level. I am hoping it doesn't interfere with the flight dynamics that I fell in love with with this plane.

Edit of edit: So I just got up to test the flight impact of the mods. Needless to say the pulling down of the wings significantly impacted the flight quality of my plane. Perhaps I missed a step, but when I pulled off the tape, the plane's flight quality went right back up to where it was before. The other mods had no adverse impact however and I can recommend them.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by GBLynden; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:42 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Carbon fiber strip doesn't "pull down the wings". The wings still have dihedral, they just don't bow up at 45degree angles during a loop.

It also allows the plane to roll without full rudder input and helps keep the wing from creasing.

Pulling down the wings with tape isn't the same thing.

If a stiffer wing is "Too Twitchy" for a new pilot, adding Expo to the ailerons will remove the twitch.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:53 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,510 Posts
I actually poked a hole through the fuse with the carbon fiber and instead of glueing it, I taped it to the wing so I could undo it if needed. For me, dealing with a weak wing is better than the result I got from that Mod. My Mustang and Pole Cat are easier to fly than the T-28 with the carbon fiber on the wing.
RCG Plus Member