Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:17 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,456 Posts
Cool
SUPER EASY great flying foamy

Here is a VERY easy to make , great flying foamy . Made from two sheets of Dollar Tree foam , some hot glue and tape . The basic airframe is only two cuts ( not including control surfaces and prop slot ) ! One sheet cut in half diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner - those two pieces will be the wings . From the second sheet cut a triangle the same length as the wing pieces but half as wide , that piece will be the fuselage . Glue the wing pieces together , then glue the fuselage to the wings , install control surfaces ( rudder/elevator to keep it simple ) and electronics and you're good to go ! Step by step instructions here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1702077 including additional instructions for an SE with Increased Wing Area ( IWA-SE ) - a slow , floaty flyer .

SUPER easy foam board RC paper airplane (1 min 46 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jan 15, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:22 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,388 Posts
try this

Very nice build. Try this out mount EDF on top
space 1 is online now Find More Posts by space 1
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:58 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
492 Posts
Balsa or Carbon

I found this when I searched. I see you put in major dimensions. I think I can get the slot and control surface sizes from the pictures, as well as the prop diameter, but it would be easier if you posted them. What is the power input and Kv of your motor? What sort of battery are you using? What is all up weight for flying?

I commented on your video on Trishit's thread.

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
492 Posts
Dimensions of Dollar tree foam?

P.S.
I have foam board from Hobby Lobby that's 20X30 inches. Is that the same size as the Dollar Tree stuff?

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
P.S.
I have foam board from Hobby Lobby that's 20X30 inches. Is that the same size as the Dollar Tree stuff?

Joe
Yes
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Balsa or Carbon

I found this when I searched. I see you put in major dimensions. I think I can get the slot and control surface sizes from the pictures, as well as the prop diameter, but it would be easier if you posted them. What is the power input and Kv of your motor? What sort of battery are you using? What is all up weight for flying?

I commented on your video on Trishit's thread.

Joe
Joe , The control surfaces are 2"x 6" , elevators located about 2" from center line , rudder about 1 1/2" from center line . The motor on the one in the video is the stock motor from a Hobby King SkyFun . It is 1800 kv , and I'm guessing about 150 watts ( they don't list the watts on their website ) . The prop for that one is 6 x 4 . I use a 1600 mah 40c 3 cell Sky Lipo from Hobbypartz . That set up works OK for just cruising around , and I even have some LED lights on it for night flying .
The one in the pictures has this motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...30a-combo.html with an 8 x 3.8 prop . Makes it a ROCKET !
I don't know the all up weight of the planes , I always build as light as possible , adding only what I feel is necessary for re-enforcement , etc.

Al
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
492 Posts
Al
Thanks for the info on your Super Easy Delta. I've just checked out a motor for my Push E Cat that seems similar to the Sky Fun one you mention. It's a KMS 31/21 from Hobby People. It has a current range up to 13 Amps and runs on about 140 watts with a 3S battery and an APC 7X5 E prop. A TowerPro 2408-21 has similar specs. Kv is 1750 rpm/V.

I've posted results of a short static thrust test on the KMS motor and get over 16 ounces easily with the 7 X 5.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1448

I looked at that other Hobby partz motor, and it looks way big for anything under 2 lbs all up. No wonder its a rocket with a 40 inch span delta.

Good flying

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,456 Posts
Super easy

Yesterday I made another SUPER EASY with more dihedral and it is even MORE stable than the first ones . I made this one with the $24.66 motor/ESC/servo combo from Hobby partz . Total cost of this plane ( not including receiver or battery ) less than $30 !
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:35 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Nice looks good! I wish I had more foam board...I used it all up in my failed attempts at other builds. How did you mount that motor on there?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Nice looks good! I wish I had more foam board...I used it all up in my failed attempts at other builds. How did you mount that motor on there?
When you get a couple of bucks together , get some foam from Dollar Tree and give this one a try ! It's really the easiest build and flies GREAT!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
When you get a couple of bucks together , get some foam from Dollar Tree and give this one a try ! It's really the easiest build and flies GREAT!
Yep thats my plan! I may hold off on the delta and build this instead. I will pick up some wax paper while im at it. How is it with the combo?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,456 Posts
Quote:
Yep thats my plan! I may hold off on the delta and build this instead. I will pick up some wax paper while im at it. How is it with the combo?
That combo works GREAT for this plane ! It's no rocket - that's not what it's meant to be , but it is VERY easy to fly ! I'll shoot another video of this new one so you can see.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
That combo works GREAT for this plane ! It's no rocket - that's not what it's meant to be , but it is VERY easy to fly ! I'll shoot another video of this new one so you can see.
Okay cool thanks! Also, with the hobbypartz combo, is it capable of slow flight? Any aerobatics that can be performed?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,456 Posts
Quote:
Okay cool thanks! Also, with the hobbypartz combo, is it capable of slow flight? Any aerobatics that can be performed?
I haven't tried it with the new one , but the other ones would do loops and barrel rolls .

I would say that it's a slow flyer , but slow flight with ANY plane is a matter of " light wing loading " ( the overall weight of the plane RELATIVE to the wing area ) , so build lighter and it will fly slower .
Here are two good examples of light wing loading :

F-3-P Expert Ланцов Алексей (2 min 17 sec)

RC - VECTOR KITE 19 * 19' Delta Kite * Vector Control * (5 min 16 sec)

P.S. You should also build the hovercraft , super easy and lots of fun !
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Ah okay thanks! Yeah i will probably build the hovercraft too! You used an air radio for that right? And then only one foam board, or second foam board for rudder on the hovercraft?
RCG Plus Member