HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Nov 2009
7 Posts
Discussion
JR receivers, why so expensive?

I am looking to switch to 2.4GHz and doing my homework.
Not that I don't like Futaba, I was planning on buying a JR 11X for more bells and whistles until I saw the price tags for extra receivers.
Why are JR receivers so much more money than Futaba? Also, I am not too familiar with remote antennas on JR, are they a must or optional?
Also for Futaba, I see park flyer models only have 1 antenna wire, is that due to the limited range?
Thanks in advance.
yucholian is offline Find More Posts by yucholian
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,168 Posts
Oh boy.....

You need to do some research on your own 'cause this type of question, Futaba vs. JR/Spektrum is always guaranteed to start a fight.

Your basic questions; JR radios in the USA running on DSM2/DSMX can use any Spektrum rx and those are a bit cheaper but only have one year warranties (same as Futaba) where JR stuff all has a three year warranty. Any JR/Spektrum rx with the capability of having a satellite rx requires that they be used. Smaller rx's designed for small electric powered models usually known as "Park Flyers" or such, usually have fewer antennas or no satellite rx as those are expected to be flown close to you. Then there are special rx's for carbon fiber fuselages like some gliders have.

In my experience, JR/Spektrum has a MUCH larger selection of rx's for various applications and they are less money than a similar Futaba rx.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:10 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,547 Posts
Look at the Spektrum and Spektrum compatable receivers. You will have DSM2 and DSMX in the radio and these are Spektrum based protocals.

There are many low cost compatable, not Spektrum clone, receivers from Hobby King and other sources called Orange receivers. They are very inexpensive $6 to 25 I think for 4 to 9 channel...
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2009
7 Posts
No brand bashing

Thanks for the feedback.
I am not really asking the JR vs. Futaba question as I have owned both in the past and I like them both. I am not really interested in "which technology is better" discussion either as I feel both are excellent at what we are using them for. I am mainly interested in the cost difference in additional receivers. I was not aware that Spektrum receivers can be used with JR 11X.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,657 Posts
You can use Spektrum DSM2/DSMX receivers with US-bought JR transmitters at least. In some parts of the world, JR transmitters use a different RF protocol called DMSS.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:59 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
You can use Spektrum DSM2/DSMX receivers with US-bought JR transmitters at least. In some parts of the world, JR transmitters use a different RF protocol called DMSS.
In the rest of the world the DMSS radios models are labelled with 'XG' so we have the XG7, XG8, XG11 etc.

DSM2 versions of JR radios continue to be sold as well, what is missing outside the markets controlled by HH is DSMX versions of JR radios.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:44 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,953 Posts
It would help if you put a location on your profile.

DaveH stated that some parts of the world JR use DMSS. JR's DSX9, DSX9II, DSX11 & DSX12 are DSM2 based systems. Some countries where Horizon is the distributor for JR have the DSMX option. Where Horizon isn't the main distributor, JR sets are not supplied with the DSMX protocol. However, some model shops are buying in JR sets from Horizon and can, therefore, be DSMX compliant.

Any JR set prefixed with the letters XG use JR's own DMSS protocol ( XG6, XG7, XG8, XG11 with more to follow [probably!])
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton56 View Post
It would help if you put a location on your profile.
Very good point, I am in Pittsburgh, PA.
Thanks.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,553 Posts
A couple of years ago when I got tired of the cost of Spektrum 7 channnel receivers I went this route.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207547

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:07 AM
Old and grumpy
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
just watch out for any rx bought from asia it could be a DSMJ (for Japan only)
SIRCOL is offline Find More Posts by SIRCOL