HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2014
8 Posts
Dynam Albatros

Hello all,

I will have a pilot sooner or later. I ordered one from Iron Aces but I'm in the process of trying to get an exchange. the pilots head is squished and he looks like a fish. Also I think the scale is wrong. Iron Aces suggested for a 50" wing span that I use a 1/7 pilot. It seems way too small. I'm going to get a 1/6 pilot. The quality is outstanding though.
Samhill is offline Find More Posts by Samhill
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
Joined Jul 2014
8 Posts
First Dynam Albatros flight

I'm new to flying so don't take my opinions as gospel. That being said, I'm using a 4s 2200 mAh battery pushed all the way forward. Watch out for the CG on the Dynam Alb. The manual says 60-65mm back from the upper wing leading edge. I had to add about 5 ounces (ounces not grams) to the nose in two big lead weights to get it to balance at 65 mm. It seems too heavy to me but that is where it balanced.

First flight was very scary. I got it off the ground and the plane went into Kamikaze mode-it was way too nose heavy. I had to use full trim and then 75% up elevator to keep it flying level. Thank goodness the motor is very strong.
Second flight I removed one of the weights, adjusted the elevator and it was so much smoother. It was actually nice to fly on the second flight.

Conclusion. I put the plane back on the balancer after the second flight and the CG is more like 75-80mm back from the leading edge with about 2.5 oz nose weight. I'll borrow an accurate scale and post the real numbers this week.
Samhill is offline Find More Posts by Samhill
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhill View Post
Hello all,

I will have a pilot sooner or later. I ordered one from Iron Aces but I'm in the process of trying to get an exchange. the pilots head is squished and he looks like a fish. Also I think the scale is wrong. Iron Aces suggested for a 50" wing span that I use a 1/7 pilot. It seems way too small. I'm going to get a 1/6 pilot. The quality is outstanding though.
I'm with you; too small.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38