HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2001, 10:13 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
CPU heatsink hassle

Hi

I've got a AMD Duron 800 Mhz CPU and motherboard which, when we bought the system, came with a Thermaltake "Chrome Orb" CPU heatsink/fan, that is self-monitored by the computer in the BIOS pages. I just replaced heatsink assembly 2 days ago with the same model 'cause the old one was vibrating badly.

The problem now is the new fan works smoothly, same RPM, but the CPU temp is up considerably. It was also a major hassle to replace, are they all this nasty? My old 486 pentium overdrive's heatsink/fan snapped on so sweetly, ran quieter too.. Anyway, it used to average 12 to 15 degrees above ambient, now when the inside case temp is, say 95, the CPU will be at 126~128 degrees. It still seems to cool but I'm concerned as what should be the proper spread on the case and CPU temps. This is in a relatively stable, temp. wise, part of the house that doesn't get above 80 during the day. Am I hurting the CPU to run it this hot? I'm going to get a better heatsink, as I think these are kinda cheezey fan assemblies.

Thanks in advance

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Oct 25, 2001, 10:54 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
You should be able to find info at AMDs site about proper running temps and tolerances. If needed you could probably slow down the processor in the BIOS.

If it doesn't auto shut down all the time, you're probably fine.

Disclaimer: This is only my opinion. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert in these matters.

Of course, AMD is the worst, they hire child labor, support satanism, eat way too much beef and never use deoderant.

Disclaimer: This was sarcasm. I apologize if you or your family do not find it funny or if you are an employee, shareholder or otherwise associated with AMD or their subsidiaries. These events are fictional and are not representations of actual peoples, corporations or other actual entities.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Oct 26, 2001, 02:15 AM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Did you use the conductive grease when you installed it? it needs that to transfer the heat from the chip to the heatsink.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2001, 06:34 AM
Okemos, Michigan
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
If Que's idea didn't work, or tried that...

How about a few fans in the case? You can do it two (there's probably more) ways. If you have an extra slot, you could put a fan in the slot. Or you could cool it off of some parts at radio shack using a blower and a available power cable for a drive. (I've never done this, but I've seen some instructions on the net.)

After saying that, it sounds like your problem is what Que suggested.. Your not getting a "thremal couple" with your heat sink. Also if your an over-clocker, your going to run hot! Don't get into you bios unless you understand what the implications are by cranking up the Hrz. Going outside the manufacturers specifications is not advised if your looking for CPU longevity. If you know you're going to get a computer in a year or two.. Well.... I guess you won't be worried about electron migration.

(Like Newbie said, these are just my opinions.. I have had a few classes under my belt, but I am far from an expert!)

- Sean
Crete1 is offline Find More Posts by Crete1
Old Oct 26, 2001, 10:29 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the response, I am using thermal grease, (ooops) thermal compound, (not tested on endangered newts, approved for proper disposal in government approved toxic waste dumps, no cattle were killed, maimed or abducted by trans-dimensionals during he making of this grease,{DANG} compound.) Newbie has it come to this?

I'm not overclocking, or a macrobiotic, My concern for those still with me is the size of the contact area on the chip itself, maybe a 1/2" square for all the excess waste heat, (which could be thermal piped over to third world countries so folks can cook their Couscous on it.{hey I am a bleedin lefty ya' know!}, which is conducted by a yellowish silicone transfer patch into the aluminium sink. I'm not sure how much heat these CPU's generate, certanly not any more than Cyrix's ( My sister works for a subcontractor of Intel, I've already been read the riot act for my computer choice.) Plenty of fans, 'cept here on the 'Zone.

Thanks

Looee ( who thinks his brain is the size of a planet, I have this pain running all the way down the left side of my computers schottky diode bank. Oh why is no-one ever glad to see me?)
Old Oct 26, 2001, 10:40 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
you guys probably need legal advice before you post again
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Oct 26, 2001, 10:58 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lymon
you guys probably need legal advice before you post again
OK,... what's your going rate?
Old Oct 26, 2001, 11:16 AM
Okemos, Michigan
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
Hey,

Just trying to help you out. If you don't want to hear our opinions, why post?

Crete1 is offline Find More Posts by Crete1
Old Oct 26, 2001, 11:49 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Crete

I'm sorry if I offended, I'm trying to lighten up this discussion with some humor as some other threads have all seem to taken a rather personally touchy swing. I'm not making fun of your post at all, just... (Sometimes my humor is lost on everyone but myself. I was attepting to parody myself...)

I'm not sure what the problem is as the clamp didn't seem to fit the CPU/socket, ( Socket A or 462 ) although I know this is the correct heatsink, it seems poorly made. I had to stretch it a little to get the clip over the tab, this with the Computer on it's side on the desk with half my body weight pressing down on the m'board through the socket. I don't need to mention what that does to the circuit traces. (They don't cover warranties when you play UUHG! the caveman computer repairer.) The store owner said it was easy to install.

Looee
Old Oct 26, 2001, 06:39 PM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
The first thing you need to do is get rid of that tharmal pad, they are incredibly inefficient. Clean the heatsink and the processor with rubbing alcohol. Put a <u>very</u> thin layer of thermal paste on the processor core. If you are worried about the pressure on the core you can buy a copper shim that sits on the chip and takes some of the strain, but the four pads on ther corners of the chip should protect it. The temperatures you are seeing are a little high but it's nothing to worry about. I've seen overclocked Athlons running at over 160 degrees. In fact, right now my Athlon 1.0 clocked at 1.24 is running at 145 degrees. The chips are supposed to be safe to 180-185 but I've never seen one pushed that far.
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Oct 26, 2001, 08:23 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Thanks Brad

That makes sense about the patch being part of the problem. On the other heatsink the patch was squished to nearly nothing.
I'll see if it removes easily, but I've stretched out the clip a bit, so best I should get a fresh sink. I can always use the fan for something else. I love this computer, I bought it on a recommendation from one of Sherri's class mates, the VIA chipset has a lot of tweaking functions I'll probably never use. I've been cautioned about overclocking even this tweakable motherboard, so it stays stock.

Thank you all for the assistance,.. despite my lousy attempt at self depreciation.

Looee (Not anywhere near as funny as Marvin the paranoid android)