HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined May 2010
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
The F-18 definitely pulls harder...I think it is also heavier than the F-35. Definately get one...they are beautiful in the air with the missiles and bombs.

If i choose to do it over again I will use a 1800mah sky lipo 3s so that I dont need to cut the foam as much. The fan and the 1800mah pushed back as far as you can...will balance out. Dont worry and try it..shell float
I understand about moving batteries back,but you say u move fan back?
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:49 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
I understand about moving batteries back,but you say u move fan back?
I should have been more clear. the moded fan stays in place of the stock fan. he 1800mah 3s should be secured to the back wall with the wires rats nest. Your CG will be on target...you will need some aileron trim but no pitch trim required
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2010
1,732 Posts
thx
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:51 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Hey guys, have had this plane for a few months and man it is a slow flyer. It barely has enough speed to make a loop. My question is, what are some decent power set ups for this? I dont mind keeping it 3s or going 4s, just want some maneuverability without stalling.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:58 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot83 View Post
Hey guys, have had this plane for a few months and man it is a slow flyer. It barely has enough speed to make a loop. My question is, what are some decent power set ups for this? I dont mind keeping it 3s or going 4s, just want some maneuverability without stalling.

Coot
my F-18 I use a different setup on 3s with this fan and motor combo from nitroplanes

http://www.nitroplanes.com/88e-adf64-300xl-kv5250.html

very quiet like jet sound and is plenty fast...like 4s use a 45amp esc for his one...

regards

tengarang
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:47 PM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Teng can this fan handle 4s? If not, how much speedier does it make it?

Coot
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:52 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Teng can this fan handle 4s? If not, how much speedier does it make it?

Coot
"Negative ghost rider...the pattern is full" hehe got that from top gun...nice..

no it cannot..and I would not recommend 4s

Using a 4s I would not go over 4800KV on a 64mm fan...which is already in violation of most motors known to me.... unless throttle management is carefully .... carefully practiced. If you MUST go 4s like I wanted to with my F-15 Eagle 64mm FMS...I went to nitroplanes website, bought the exceed 4800KV motor and used the stock airfield fan.....Im using a 70amp esc with external ubec with its own 400mah 2s source. That thing screams MUCH faster than my F-18 FMS on the 3s high KV setup.... but be careful...you will loser her out of sight FAST if you blink

I dont know how fast my F-18 is because I never clocked it...but it is Somewhat faster than the stock motor fan on 4s..... noticeably and attractively faster
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:55 PM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Appreciate the info Teng, I am trying to get my plane fast enough to be able to handle loops with out stalling...can this fan solve the problem?

Coot
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:01 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Appreciate the info Teng, I am trying to get my plane fast enough to be able to handle loops with out stalling...can this fan solve the problem?

Coot
LOL... you will have NO problems doing that. As a point of reference.

If you are familiar with the fun fighters on 3s...hobbyking has them.. bannana has them....you will be around that speed if not a tad bit faster in full velocity...note you have more drag on the F-18 since its a bigger plane and with more surfaces like missiles and bombs what not landing gear...much heavier.

those things on 4s is quite a different story.

Back to the main subject...you will have no problems looping...it is no where close to what you have experienced with 3s with stock motor...not even close.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:10 PM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Thanks for all the info...is there a certain 3s batt you recommend? I normally use 3s 2200 40c.

Coot
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:17 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the info...is there a certain 3s batt you recommend? I normally use 3s 2200 40c.

Coot

I normally use Turnigy Nanotechs. Sky lipos are also great...for the money they pack a nice punch, balances well and runs decent. They are by no means Polyquests .... but they pull their weight.

40C would be fine....

FYI

If you want to find a good discharge C....first determine how much current your setup will pull....

For example my F-15 I remember and too lazy to look at my post is perhaps drasing 65 amps......hence the 70 esc. You will need a lipo 4s 2200mah 'XC'

Determine X = minimum 65amps WOT = X* 2200mah = X * 2.2A = 29.545

hence X is around 30C....so your 40C would work fine....but may be warm since it is going to operate at peak operation I would probably go with a turnigy nano tech that ranges 45C to 90C...which is the supply ability range which makes sense to try and keep the battery cool...and believe its not cool but rather warm.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:27 PM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Thanks for the break down Teng, gonna order that bad boy.

Coot
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:31 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the break down Teng, gonna order that bad boy.

Coot
If you have further questions feel free to ask...
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:45 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
451 Posts
Quote:

Coot
Here is mine on a 4s 2200mah batt. Stock motor and fan (static balanced at home), 60 amp ESC (overkill). Anyway, much faster than stock.

F18 (EDF) on 4s lipo (3 min 53 sec)
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:08 PM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Im shocked that the motor can handle 4s stock. I could def drop in a 50 amp esc and see how that goes. Im assuming 4 min flights?

Coot