HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:38 PM
Joined Dec 2014
45 Posts
Discussion
DX6/DX6i or ?????

I am a returning glider guider after a brief 30 year lapse. OlyII's, 99 and 120's, Sagitta's, etc. I am trying to size up a re-entry point. Since my previous experience was all RES I thought I might start with a Radian or Radian Pro, then a Mystique or OLY SX and then who knows what, all electrified. Since I need a radio/receiver, one "cost effective" solution is the Spectrum DX6 or DX6i. I fly for fun, no contests, pure enjoyment. Is there any real reason to spend the incremental $80 on a 6i? It appears the major benefit of the 6i is telemetry. I will only fly gliders so heli stuff (etc.) doesn't matter. I will only fly mode 2 so that works both ways and both have the same apparent range and packaged 610 receiver. Am I missing something?

Thank you !!
kurtataltos is offline Find More Posts by kurtataltos
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2015, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,701 Posts
kurt:

For both neophytes and returnees (like yourself) I highly recommend the Radian (Not, repeat NOT the Radian Pro). The Ready-to-Fly version contains all you need for flight all in a single box. The additional up-side is that the included transmitter will also do well for a variety of follow-on sailplanes.

I know a lot of Radian Pros are sold, but in my experience, the additional servos increase weight and drag, but do nothing for either the learning curve or flight performance. The regular Radian is incredibly suitable for learning (or relearning) the soaring game, and provides a nice tutorial on current radio and motor technology.

In any case, I also advise looking around for other local folks who can lend you a hand. Glider guiders are typically a friendly bunch who do not like to see others fail.

In any case, best of luck to you.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:56 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,239 Posts
Buy the most radio you can, buy cheap, buy twice?

Dx6i is a much more capable radio, but if you are headed for full-house electric self-launching sailplanes, you probably want at least a 7 channel radio ...
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:40 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
2,013 Posts
Hi Kurt,
The new DX6 Gen 2 radio can and will fly a full house plane using two aileron servos, two flap servos and single elevator and rudder servos. It will allow aileron to rudder mix, launch, thermal, cruise, reflex and landing modes of flight, plus more. Coming out right now is the new DX7 Gen 2 transmitter that can also do the job. I have a video showing how to program and set up a 6 servo sailplane at the spektrumRc.com website. Check it out to see.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:09 AM
United States, ID, Kuna
Joined Feb 2008
110 Posts
the dx6i is the older design the new black dx6 is the latest and has telemetry and much much more......including ball bearing gimbals..multi chemistry battery usage ..wireless buddy box...I own the dx6 the dx9 and the jr9303, along with two rds8000 airtronics...
lfinney54 is offline Find More Posts by lfinney54
Old Feb 12, 2015, 02:58 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtataltos View Post
I am a returning glider guider after a brief 30 year lapse. OlyII's, 99 and 120's, Sagitta's, etc. I am trying to size up a re-entry point. Since my previous experience was all RES I thought I might start with a Radian or Radian Pro, then a Mystique or OLY SX and then who knows what, all electrified. Since I need a radio/receiver, one "cost effective" solution is the Spectrum DX6 or DX6i. I fly for fun, no contests, pure enjoyment. Is there any real reason to spend the incremental $80 on a 6i? It appears the major benefit of the 6i is telemetry. I will only fly gliders so heli stuff (etc.) doesn't matter. I will only fly mode 2 so that works both ways and both have the same apparent range and packaged 610 receiver. Am I missing something?

Thank you !!
Welcome back!

First I can fully endorse the Radian as a first e-glider. I have a fleet of high end contest gliders and a pair of sailplane radios, but my Radian RTF gets plenty of air time. I think every sailplane pilot should have one and I think the RTF is a great value package.

Your idea of progression from a Radian to a pro, Oly and/or Mystique is an excellent progression. Whether you say with R/E, RES or go full house is up to you. I fly them all and love them all.

Between the DX6 and the DX6i, the DX6 purchased new, is the one to get. The 6i is the older model and has no sailplane programming. It will soon be phased out as it is replaced by the DX6

Be VERY careful if you try to buy a used DX6 as there was a VERY OLD radio called the DX6 and you don't want it. Revolutionary in its day it is not a radio you would want today. Get a NEW DX6 if you go this route.

I don't know what your budget is for a radio but if you want to stay in the Spektrum line you might also consider the DX8 which is on sale right now for $249. Good programming capability, sailplane programming, and 2 extra channels which comes in handy in an e-glider since. While you can fly a full house e-glider on 5 channels, optimally you would like every servo on its own channel and then throttle. That is 7 channels.

While Spektrum is probably the most popular radio brand there are other excellent radios out there from Hitec, Futaba, Airtronics, JR and FrSky if you are interested. You might find this article helpful.

How to select your first radio
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post23710682
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 12, 2015, 08:36 PM
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
I couldn't sell my DX6i fast enough - it is very limited all round. I can highly recommend the Taranis - an extremely flexible transmitter at a cheap price, and the opentx community is very supportive.
made_in_nz is offline Find More Posts by made_in_nz
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
The only difference i see in the new dx6 an dx7 is the 7th channel, you have independent servo's for your flaps in a full house sailplane when using the dx7. I use a dx6i (gray model) for my mpx cularis with a wye harness on the flaps. I had to reverse a flap servo internally, the old way. The reason for this is because the foam servo cavity in the wings are opposite each other. I also think the new dx6 has 2 or 3 3 position switches. If your building balsa kit full house sailplanes you have no issue with a new dx6 radio, just wye the flap servos
ewright4365 is offline Find More Posts by ewright4365
Last edited by ewright4365; Mar 19, 2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:15 AM
Little Red Plane
United States, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 2012
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by made_in_nz View Post
i can highly recommend the taranis - an extremely flexible transmitter at a cheap price, and the opentx community is very supportive.
++++1
GarryOgilvie is offline Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie