HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2014, 05:53 PM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
Build Log
The ultimate multirotor for aerial video

The best for making video?
Well.
This should be the one that can produce 100% jello free no vibrations high quality video. The safe one. And stabile. It should fly long time, wind resistance. Be small as possible, foldable for transport. And other nice things.

First the camera. Camera decides everything. The best camera for multirotor? It should have enough bitrate for post production. Should be jello free. Crisp and sharp. Should handle cloudy day - low light conditions. And of course enough fps for fast movement.
Than the gimbal. The gimbal is almost more important than the camera. And 3 axis is mandatory.
Last. The craft. Nice to fly and portable. Quad, hexa or X. With the least possible vibration. Long flight time.

Ok. Let's make one.
Or. Find one.
igor88 is offline Find More Posts by igor88
Last edited by igor88; Jan 05, 2015 at 05:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2014, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2014
175 Posts
The camera has nothing to do with being "jello free". That is decided by how stable the platform is that is carrying it which is ultimately decided by the multirotor and the gimbal. You can have the best camera and fancy pants gimbal on the market, if they are not balanced correctly, you are going to get jello.

Crispness and sharpness is also determined by the lenses that are being used. If I by a Red Epic Dragon Carbon, put it on a Movi 10 with my super 12 blade multirotor, if you have crappy lenses, the footage is going to be garbage.

What is your definition of long flight times? An hour, 30 minutes, 10 minutes? That number will need to be taken into account on whatever this multirotor is determined to be.

I can get jello free, high quality video that is enough bitrate for post-production with my Gopro 4 shooting in Pro-Tune and color corrected in Resolve No problem on a cloudy day or even sunset type of light. I can get 19 minutes of flight time in up to 20mph winds while doing a chase scene. It is portable, I can pack it into an overhead bin on an airplane with no issues.

This is with my Phantom 2, H3-3D with GP4.

My point is, every answer that you get will be different. Find out what is most important to your business if that is what it is, and make the investment. What is good for someone else might not be good for you.

Nick
nickr1977 is offline Find More Posts by nickr1977
Old Nov 07, 2014, 06:26 AM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
The best video camera for multi?
There are, in general, 3 camera classes (in no professional AV world). Gopro class, Nex and GH4 class. Iam going to use GP4 flat lens, Panasonic GM1 and Canon D60 for this comparison as a representative for each class. Although GM1 is not suitable for aerial video he has a good sensor and in this case he will play Sony RX100III or similar (better).
I will judge raw video and post production video. But. Iam still waiting for D60 to come.
So. Meanwhile. I found this video on YT.
Panasonic GH4 vs GOPRO3+ Black Edition - HeliPal.com (3 min 49 sec)
Last edited by igor88; Nov 13, 2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
Nothing is simple.
As I finally received Canon D60 I have to give away GP4 flat lens. So I'm using GP3 flat lens at the moment. Until new lens arrive.
Nevermind.
Let's see how's GP3 doing.

All set on "auto".
1080 24p
Bit rate / gopro3 30 Mb / panasonic 20Mb /
Gopro3 5.4 flat lens vs Panasonic GM1 (1 min 31 sec)

And low light - with missed focus on canon
All set on "auto".
1080 24p
Bit rate / canon60 45Mb / gopro3 30 Mb / panasonic 20Mb /
Canon D60 vs Gopro3 5.4 flat lens vs Panasonic GM1 (0 min 16 sec)
Last edited by igor88; Nov 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:24 AM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
What can be achieved with post.
Still using GP3 for comparison. I reckon that ever GP3 will do - GP4 is going to be notably better.
remark:
canon d60 is not suitable for aerial video. it is actually not suitable for any kind of video. it is a video disaster.
feel sorry for anyone who has purchased canon d60 for video capturing

raw file
All set on "auto"
1080 24p
Bit rate / canon d60 60Mb / gopro3 30 Mb / panasonic 20Mb /
Canon D60 vs Gopro3 5.4 flat lens vs Panasonic GM1 - test 2/2 (0 min 18 sec)

file post treated
p.p. - panasonic GM1 micro 3/4 vs gopro 3 flat lens (0 min 21 sec)

conclusion:
Gopro 3 cannot match neither micro 3/4 sensor, not to speak about full sensor. Although it is maybe not visible on Y.T. there is no sharpness, no contrast and not enough light on GP3.
Gopro 3 flat lens - clear loser.
Have to stop now. And wait for GP4 lens to arrive.
On the other hand - the difference between 3/4 and full sensor is definitely tolerable.
If I have to choose now - I would not go with full sensor camera. Gain in quality is not worth the loss in weight.
But let's wait for GP4. Let's give him a chance.
Last edited by igor88; Nov 13, 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
raw file
All set on "auto"
1080 24p
Bit rate / panasonic micro3/4 20Mb / gopro3 30 Mb / gopro4 45Mb /
micro 3/4 vs gopro3 vs gopro4 (1 min 1 sec)

Gopro 4 is much much better than gp3.
Gopro 4 vs Panasonic.:
There is a compression on Y.T. so it is not so visible, but gp4 is sharper, is cleaner, crispier and has same vibrant colors as panasonic. Even not bad in low light. It is not so good in shadows but that's it. I would say - totally comparable. Not better. But the difference is overall not big enough and not worth the losses due to bigger weight on panasonic.
So.
Gopro4 flat lens vs Nex class camera - Gopro wins.
Last edited by igor88; Nov 21, 2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:23 PM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
Camera decision:
There is a choice between GH4 or GP4. Pocket size "nex" class camera is out.
With GH4 you'll get better video. GP4 gives better fly characteristic opportunity.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:56 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
882 Posts
You should use two GoPros and a sync cable and make 3D videos so you can watch then with your Oculus Rift DK2.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 05:34 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,488 Posts
There is so much mis info in this thread I don't know where to start.
First off: jello is a cmos sensor artifact. Period.

From that bad choice, you begin an endless pursuit spending countless dollars trying to eradicate evil vibration. If you start with a camera that uses a global shutter you will be able to shoot clean video with ease.
cyberbillp is offline Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Nov 27, 2014, 06:18 PM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
Actually. I'm a little stuck here.
Cannot make a decision between panasonic GH4 and Gopro 4, because:
I did put flat 5.4mm lens on gp4 (don't want gopro distortion in video). But the picture that I am getting from modified gopro is simple - bad. All damaged and wash out.
5.4mm flat lens on gopro 3 and gopro 4 (1 min 12 sec)

Seams like gopro has changed IR filter on 4 line, or something, because those flat lenes were incredible good on gopro 3 line.
Now. Panasonic GH4 would be better than Gopro4 with no fisheye lens. Ok. But how much. Whether are shades or realy a big difference?
Cannot say before I get GP4 with flat lens to work properly and make comparison.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 06:29 AM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
Camera decision

Can get GP4 to work, so I get GP3+ with flat lens. Used surveilzone 5.4mm lens.
3+ won 3/4 micro GM1 (equivalent to rx100) by far. More sharp. More definition. Not so good in shadows, but. GM1 get better behavior in shadows on account of overexposure of other parts of image.
GP 3+ clear winner.
And I will use it in my vision of The ultimate multirotor for aerial video.
1 Produce 24P 10MB promjena teksta WMV (0 min 36 sec)
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:40 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, SorÝ
Joined May 2010
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor88 View Post
Actually. I'm a little stuck here.
Cannot make a decision between panasonic GH4 and Gopro 4, because:
I did put flat 5.4mm lens on gp4 (don't want gopro distortion in video). But the picture that I am getting from modified gopro is simple - bad. All damaged and wash out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR65...ature=youtu.be
Seams like gopro has changed IR filter on 4 line, or something, because those flat lenes were incredible good on gopro 3 line.
Now. Panasonic GH4 would be better than Gopro4 with no fisheye lens. Ok. But how much. Whether are shades or realy a big difference?
Cannot say before I get GP4 with flat lens to work properly and make comparison.
Looks like you're running protune on the gp4 and not-PT on the gp3? At least, the lens didn't do this
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:50 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, SorÝ
Joined May 2010
1,326 Posts
If you have to do a comparison, you at least have to setup the cameras equal. The 60D (the Canon D60 is an ooooold camera) will fare at least as good as the GM1.

Also, you have to use flat colors and contrast. Judging a camera for aerial video by its out-of-the-box colors and sharpness is like buying a car because it had a nice color.... ?

Quote:
Nothing is simple.
As I finally received Canon D60 I have to give away GP4 flat lens. So I'm using GP3 flat lens at the moment. Until new lens arrive.
Nevermind.
Let's see how's GP3 doing.

All set on "auto".
1080 24p
Bit rate / gopro3 30 Mb / panasonic 20Mb /
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEs...ature=youtu.be
And low light - with missed focus on canon
All set on "auto".
1080 24p
Bit rate / canon60 45Mb / gopro3 30 Mb / panasonic 20Mb /
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhr...ature=youtu.be
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old Dec 11, 2014, 06:22 PM
Joined Nov 2013
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod View Post
Looks like you're running protune on the gp4 and not-PT on the gp3? At least, the lens didn't do this
At the moment - there is no compatibile flat lens for GP4. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=706

And as I don't have GH4 I boroved big canon hoping it can show the possibilities of a big sensor camera. I was wrong. The D60 Canon (regarding video) prove to be less than some middle range smart phone.
So I didnt manage to make any comparison with GH4 range camera.
And.
GM1 (as rx100) dont have raw, flat color, flat contrast, flat anything options. So for comparisong I used no protune mode on gopro. And GM1 lost.
Means - protune options is just another + for gopro. Which is already better.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:43 AM
Joined Sep 2013
506 Posts
Quote:
Can get GP4 to work, so I get GP3+ with flat lens. Used surveilzone 5.4mm lens.
3+ won 3/4 micro GM1 (equivalent to rx100) by far. More sharp. More definition. Not so good in shadows, but. GM1 get better behavior in shadows on account of overexposure of other parts of image.
GP 3+ clear winner.
And I will use it in my vision of The ultimate multirotor for aerial video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUm-...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for sharing the video. The 5.4mm lens is CL1184

Some customers said this 5.4mm lens can be used at GP4, you can refer to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...375480&page=49
SurveilZone is offline Find More Posts by SurveilZone