SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:54 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,960 Posts
Neat!

Your skills are real, FP2; the finish on the Cutlass looks excellent. Good to know that the foam doesn't blow up under the application - I don't have much experience trying to do this (yet), but the times I have tried it with EconoKote came out looking much like a plane-shaped golf ball.

At those times, the Bacardi helped much.

Get someone to do a vid on your Cutlass maiden. And VERY best of luck with it!
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:14 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,735 Posts
Pike,
looks like your having a gain in vigor being a "retiree" and it shows up here!
Keep us post on whatever you'll find to spruce up your bipe.
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:42 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,960 Posts
Hiya, RodAir!

Long time no talk! I did see (today!) your post above, looking for those upper wing screws - and hope you found some. If not, maybe some long servo screws would do it as they're about the same size and thread.

And yes, my friend; the fact that every day now is a Saturday tremendously colors my outlook on things .

Never did go to 2 ail servos on the old sttiP - just had too many other things going on. I did hope that mod would kill the aileron flutter, which was horrendous with the 4s setup. I will be back up north in a couple months and may just do it then, as the old girl could use some new warpaint and Beanz' work looks too good to let pass by! In the meantime, I am really looking forward to tomorrow and maidening Lil' sttiP #2.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Feb 21, 2015, 07:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
183 Posts
Thanks guys.

Personally I don't think the added weight would be more than an ounce or two as this stuff is extremely thin and lightweight.

What I also should have mentioned is that it only took a total of 4 rolls of Contact to do this job- and there's still loads left for another plane. At less than $2 (au) a roll it was far cheaper than paint.

It's a great idea about going over the covering with a warm iron. I'll do as suggested and try on a scrap piece later on.

I also used this same covering for my FT Spit about two years ago and although there are a few areas where the covering has come free a bit, it's been in the middle of the covering rather than at a problem area like the leading edge or something. Just by smoothing your hand over the area that's come loose, it simply sticks back down again. This is with a lot of flights plus the Spit sitting around for a couple of hours in 30 plus degrees C of Queensland summers while I flew other planes so I'm happy with it.

What I feel, made a so-so job look even better was the application of a thin band of Contact in a different colour. This just required me to grab a ruler and cut a strip about 3 to 4mm wide that I would then lay on top of a join of two other colours. I'm not sure if you can see that in the pics but once I'd done it, the covering job looked a lot more professional.

I also used clear parcel tape on the leading edge of the Pitts to ensure the covering never comes loose in flight. Plus I did the same around the curves of the wing tip areas. Although from up close it's possible to spot the parcel tape but from a distance of a metre or two, it just blends in.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Last edited by Beanz; Feb 21, 2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 02:04 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,696 Posts
Beanz.....that covering is amazing....you nailed the Pitts logo and I really like the wave on the fuselage and tail section......WOW!!!

Stunning to me

TwisteGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Mar 17, 2015, 06:33 PM
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Hey guys, my dad has this plane and I "borrowed" it for so long he got me one for xmas… Finally got to fly the new one yesterday among my other projects wrapping up… Smooth flier with balanced prop.

2 things I notice, out of the box the tail isn't straight, I will have to remove and set back up. And as everyone has said here, the landing gear sucks!! I have seen a few of the main gear mods on here, has anyone done anything to mod the tail wheel? Way too flimsy… anyone have any good advice?

Also does anyone have any pics with canopy off or of how to access tail servos? Might want to try and build a more standard access panel where the canopy comes off…
rhardcastle is offline Find More Posts by rhardcastle
Old Mar 19, 2015, 08:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
183 Posts
Hi rhardcastle

I carefully removed the canopy by gently sliding a blunt knife (you know, the type you eat with but which has no real cutting edge) between the canopy and the fuse.

It came off far easier than I expected as it was only held on by thin double sided tape.

From memory I think there's a thin 'seat' - which is only a bit of printed card. That's easy to pull out (but I somehow misplaced mine a couple of years ago) so put it aside carefully.

You can then easily see (and get at) the elevator and rudder servos which are about 40mm forwards of the rear part of the canopy.

I did this as I discovered some Muppet who built my Pitts in the factory hadn't properly screwed down the servo arm screws so the servo arm was gradually jumping off and so after a flight, had moved maybe a milimetre or so off centre. So have a check of yours too.

When I followed advice on this forum and switched to a 10 X 7 prop it turned what (for me) was quite an under powered plane that always seemed to be struggling, into a completely different bird. My Pitts now flies beautifully and can move surprsingly fast with knife edge manouvres the way the full size Pitts do.

I've had no problems with the tail wheel. Yes it IS pretty flimsy but it's caused me no problems. Maybe other people have had problems but I've never really noticed any bad tendancies under taxiing or landing conditions.

What I WOULD recommend, without a doubt, is to strengthen the 'nose cone' area of the fuse. I reinforced mine with some 24 hour Araldite and some really thin fibreglass cloth. I had a couple of hard nose overs last week and she stood up really well, which wouldn't have been the case if I'd not done the reinforcing.

Good luck.
Last edited by Beanz; Mar 19, 2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:49 AM
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about the servo access... That stinks you had to find that out the hard way. I will probably remove tail and make perfectly square before I do anything else... Fun plane for short sessions...
rhardcastle is offline Find More Posts by rhardcastle
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:50 PM
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Jul 2011
230 Posts
I found with the stock motor a regular 10x7 prop did not have a significant change in performance. I had to use the 10x7SF (slow fly prop), that brought it to life!
sixfins is online now Find More Posts by sixfins
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
183 Posts
I just flew my Pitts so while I had it handy I double checked. It's only marked a 10 X 7.

To be honest, all I did was follow the advice much earlier on this brilliant thread.

So unless my prop is a slow fly but isn't marked as such I have no idea why it's worked for me but not for you sixfins.

I changed it a couple of months ago and can't remember what it said on the packet.

The thing is, I often find that something that works for one pilot may not always work for another.

I changed the motor on my AXN (Clouds Fly) for a MUCH more powerful one (again following advice on an RCGroups thread) and the thing flew like a rocket. The speed and flight characteristics were unbelievable! I flew it about 40 times with breathtaking results but unfortunately in the end I chanced my luck once too often and did the plane a bit of damage. Rather than re-build that AXN I put exactly the same motor with exactly the same positioning into a brand new AXN -But it flew like a pig. So much so that after two or three flights I lost interest and it was relegated to the 'naughty corner' of my model room.

So, how can we explain this sort of thing?

But sixfins, if the SF worked for you then fantastic. All I know is my Pitts flies so well it's an absolute joy to get into the air.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 05:03 AM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
452 Posts
I use the PKZ1005 Parkzone prop. It is a 10x8. Great performance. This prop was discussed and implemented by many a lot earlier in this thread. For some of you newcomers, you might want to skim thru this thread. A lot of tips, tricks and mods. This plane has been one of my most fun planes.
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader