SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: What style of Turnigy 1/16 vehicle do you prefer?
Rally Extreme 47 38.84%
Mini Trooper 44 36.36%
Racing Buggy 30 24.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:22 PM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Modena
Joined Nov 2013
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
I've stripped all 3 of those spurs, even the metal one I just get the cheapest ones now, run them to the ground and replace
OK then, cheap one for the victory.
Should I order a smaller pinion in order to try a 3s low-RATE setup?
May I ask for a recommendation for one to choose from https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0&currentPage= (that is if 12T is the adequate ratio).

Thanks again gentlemen.

BTW: I was considering buying a new car just to get a full set of spares (OK I happen to like new toys...) and it seems like the buggy and the moster beatle have a different main frame, maybe made of plastic instead of fiberglass? It's not flat as the one on my Trooper, or the Mini Rally. How about that?
eaman is online now Find More Posts by eaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:10 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
929 Posts
I think the 3s setup really depends on your intended application.

I do 90% of my running on an indoor track. Not necessarily racing, just running around for 10 minutes at a time, then taking a break, and doing it again. If that is your intended application, then 3s will work.

However, if you're going to be running a whole battery continuously in your yard for 20-30 minutes, 3s isn't going to work for you. Even with a 12T pinion and turning the end points down, my 3s buggy is STILL hot after 10 minutes. Not hot enough to melt, but too hot to comfortably touch.

A 10 or 11 tooth pinion would help, but they are too small and won't mesh with the stock spur. Even with the 12t, I used a dremel to widen the motor mount holes slightly (probably not necessary though).

A 3s setup works for me because I'm in a controlled environment and I keep a pretty close eye on my temperatures. But if you just want to go out and bash in your yard, 2s is a much better solution I think.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2013
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
A 3s setup works for me because I'm in a controlled environment and I keep a pretty close eye on my temperatures. But if you just want to go out and bash in your yard, 2s is a much better solution I think.
Got it thanks, my idea was to save some money recycling some of my 3s batteries but as you have clearly said that would be for bashing in my backyard, so to much heat for the motor.

I'll bite the bullet and get me a 2200mAh 2S, actually I'll look at my old 3s and as one of those is showing some distress in one cell I'll turn it in a 2s, if I can manage to fit it in the battery holder.

Changing the subject: I see that a lot of people is adapting for using 1/10 scale wheels: it that just for the look (like turning it into a sort of Moster buggy) and improve the ground clearance for running on grass?
I guess that my Trooper chassis won't allow that
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:43 PM
Australia, QLD, Whyanbeel
Joined Jan 2015
109 Posts
1/10 wheels are not necessarily much larger, depends on which tyres you run, 1/10 tyres come in 65mm, 68mm, and 72mm OD. I think it's mostly for the looks, but also for the variety of tyres available. My stock Buggy tyres are 70mm OD. If wanting to run 3S, you could go for a Lower KV larger diameter motor?
Rockracer is offline Find More Posts by Rockracer
Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM
Joined Nov 2013
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockracer View Post
1/10 wheels are not necessarily much larger, depends on which tyres you run, 1/10 tyres come in 65mm, 68mm, and 72mm OD. I think it's mostly for the looks, but also for the variety of tyres available.
Thanks, I guess that most of the people also have a 1/10 and some wheels around.
Me I'm just looking for decent price/performance ratio, I suppose that the buggy wheels are softer with maybe more traction while mine are more "all around" and dumb, dumb may be easier on the spur, also as it's the same size front and retro it's easier to stock

Quote:
If wanting to run 3S, you could go for a Lower KV larger diameter motor?
That could do, also it may be less heating and some more torque: win win.
But I opted to get one 2200 2s, you know it's a fresh battery and probably cost the same of getting a new motor and being short of gliders batteries when I go out with those.

Also I'm thinking of getting into 1/10 later and use two of them in parallel if I like the one incoming.

Yet it's a intriguing tinkering project.