HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:50 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
Discussion
help finding 10x8 - 3 blade prop for electric????

i have been looking for EVER to locate a affordable 3 blade 10x8 prop to use on a twin electrics setup. so far i have found a durafly that works great but all others seem to be 7 pitch. if anyone knows of a good 10x8 3 -blade prop setup please let me know. standard rotation or counter rotate. testing both on a twin electric. thanks a lot. Walt.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:09 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,504 Posts
Then it probably doesn't exist. Use the Durafly.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 11, 2014, 01:32 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,795 Posts
How much difference do you think the 7" pitch will make over the 8" ?

The slightly lower pitch could give better acceleration, and less amps draw. I doubt you would lose much on top end speed.

Also counter rotating isn't really necessary on a twin, unless it for looks.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:42 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,876 Posts
Espirit Models carries the only 10 x8 x3 blade I could find, a Zoar electric prop at $43 each.
I checked out SDS Hobbies for the EMP series 3 bladers, their 10" is a 7 pitch at $4.78, these are very efficient propellers in any size I've use and a very good deal.
You might check out Fiala in Europe. fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:45 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
i have been warned about non counter props as far as flight issues but i think im about to give up and just run standard. i have one decent set of counter rotate but they are around 110watts/lb. my standard are 160/lb. i would prefer to have more power for a 10lb. plane seeing as its my biggest plane i own and would imagine that a underpowered situation would be kinda stressful on maiden. ill take your advise and just stick with standard. if i can fly her with a lower pitch at some point for increased flight times ill do it if she still fly's well enough. i don't need full on pattern plane power just good sport speed for basic maneuvers. thanks, Walt
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:52 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
thanks Doug. i got a set of the emp 10x7 3 blades and balanced them up and tested. there giving my 116watts/lb. wot static. they would provide better flight times over my power set that pull 160watts/lb. i agree they seem very quiet and efficient as well. the zoar look sweet but out of my price range really. kind high compared to what im used to. always a option. i did see those during my search. thanks for pointing them out. ill end up flying her with both counter and non and if its not a big difference i wont bother dealing with the counter rotate. seems easier to just keep one type of prop on hand for breakages etc. thanks to everyone who has helped me. Walt.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:52 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,795 Posts
I have a 93" span B-25 that has been flown on counter rotating props and with both the same rotation, there was no difference to how it flew or to the trims.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:57 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,876 Posts
Master makes their 10/7/3 CR but they are very heavy and inefficient on electric. CR are not required at to make a plane fly properly. As long as both props pull evenly ( indentical setting on your Esc's is paramount) the plane wil fly fine. Its really only an issue on takeoff ,where a taildragger will require some right rudder, a tricycled unit usually very little. Doug B
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:06 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,252 Posts
xxx
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Last edited by 10x8; Dec 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: ungrateful wretch
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:33 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
thanks for the vote of confidence on standard rotation!!!! im going standard! i have emp standard and durafly standards.

emp - 116 watts/lb at 35 amps wot static.
durafly - 160 watts/lb at 55 amps wot static.
my motors is only rated for around 42 amp continuous so i will have to watch my throttle on the durafly a bit. my escs are 75 amp so no worries there. thanks everyone. Walt

doug - my escs are stock default from the box and i have never messed with them so im assuming there the same settings from the factory.... ok to assume that? opinions on what i should set my timer for as far as flight times? 3600 mah 4s batts. 1 per motor. 5-6 minutes?
Last edited by walter3rd; Dec 11, 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 08:38 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,876 Posts
Don't assume anything! When I'm setting up a twin, I set each ESC independently, starting with throttle calibration, then check the power levels as received. If they need to be changed I do that. Then I set up the second esc exactly as the first. This assure that both esc's start on equal levels. Make sure all perimeters that are adjustable are set the same on both units.
With 2 3600/4s batteries, you should easily get 8 minute flights, but I'd start at 6, then recharge to see the use. Figures on using 75% of the battery capacity to extend their life. After flight, wait 2-3 minutes, check that the battery has approx. 3.8 volts at rest. Doug B
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:45 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
sounds good. i will run the escs through set up and make sure there on the same page. i treat my batteries pretty well so i run them as you have stated. thanks, Walt
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:03 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,937 Posts
2, 3, 4, 5 blade adjustable props, CW & CCW, adjustable folders too, 5,1" to 31,3" prop diameter:
www.varioprop.de/home_e/varioprop_e/varioprop_e.html
Also available e.g. from www.aircraft-world.com

VarioPROP 1.m4v (4 min 54 sec)

Introduction to the varioPROP (2 min 23 sec)

Prettig weekend Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Dec 12, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 03:36 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
those look awesome! thanks! that's about as good as it gets! amazing! i will keep that page book marked for the future as well. appreciate the insight. Walt
Last edited by walter3rd; Dec 12, 2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:46 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,876 Posts
Vario props are excellent and offer many blade types, BUT, you knew there was going to be a but, they are not easy on the pocket book. I purchased 2 each 5 blade hubs with 7" props and spinners, a few extra blades, cost was $150 from Romaser in Europe. fwiw Doug B