HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:50 AM
PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
227 Posts
Discussion
Ship completed plane by Greyhound ?

I have shipped completed 61 size pattern planes by UPS in the past, and very expensive. When the custom package you make, has the stab sticking out on both ends, that becomes the whole package size, increasing the girth almost 3 times from what the fuselage packed part of the box is. Ship a fuse, completed with engine, etc., usual price, $220.00, average. The wing in a separate box, add another $130.00. Have any of you shipped by Greyhound ? They only insure max, $300.00, which we know won't cover much for damage. To ship a fuselage 1000 miles, approx. $85.00, and it gets there in 36 hours. Wing, $67.00. Now I am thinking, it could be worth it. I can pack this to withstand any rough treatment, except being run over by the bus. Any comments appreciated.
Crank

Hide Signatures
PhoenixFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PhoenixFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:23 AM
PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
227 Posts
Ship with this Shipper

Go to: www.forwardair.com They will ship the completetd fuselage and completed wing in separate boxes, from Miami to Dayton, OH, for $141.00. It is a 2 day process, changes planes at one city.
UPS and FedEx, must be using the same scales, they hit within 77 cents of each other, $347.92. With Forward Air, it is not door to door, I have to drive to Miami, which is 200 miles, RT. I will spend $35.00 for fuel.
Crank
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
That's so classic you.
United States, NC, Stokesdale
Joined Jul 2006
363 Posts
I've shipped a few planes by Greyhound without incident.
Generic Member is offline Find More Posts by Generic Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:08 PM
United States, NY, Apalachin
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
I've had excellent service over the years from Forward Air when shipping full scale aircraft componenents, I would trust them with a model.
Lowrider1960 is offline Find More Posts by Lowrider1960
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
498 Posts
I received the Mystery Plane in this box, via Greyhound from Nashville, no damage. And shipped an EFlite Deuces Wild in the same box via Greyhound to Florida, no damage.

A few recommendations:
- Pack well; they treat your box like orphaned luggage… because it is. You’re not there watching them bounce it out to the bus and stuff it in the hold with their foot.
- Prepare to worry; it will make its way across country visiting every God forsaken hole not on a map. (Ever seen a bus stop in a nice neighborhood?) I think somebody slept on it at one point and it smelt like Indian fry bread.
- Be patient; your box is space available. If granny gets on the bus in Gila Bend and packed too many Marlborough’s your box gets the boot and Granny gets to introduce her new grand’baby to second hand smoke.
- Be prepared to drive to your closest bus stop; they don’t deliver and if your nearest bus stop is anything like mine, bring a weapon.
- Keep calling them; they didn’t call me. I finally drove down to the depot and found it for them. It was in their break room holding up the coffee pot.

But… It worked for me, twice.
Eric
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:17 AM
PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
227 Posts
Thanks for Info

Lowrider, thanks for the info, I have heard good news from the other site also, EDH, good looking planes, nice box.
Crank
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,094 Posts
I have shipped and received planes via Greyhound. It is very slow unless your destination is a larger city. Pack very well, they do tend to drag, slide, flip, toss and otherwise manhandle the box. The terminal workers generally could care less about yuor package, although there was one here that was as nice a could be. I only got him once though.
FOrward Air, great folks to deal with. The only hang up about the local terminal is they require a money order unless you have an account. I shipped a 50% Fiberglass Pitts kit for $75 from Norfolk VA to MO or KS somewhere. Very polite and never had any damage shipping or receiving.
jhaywood is online now Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:32 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,408 Posts
A lot of C/L Stunt guys send their models across country on Greyhound being 1 piece models the boxes are pretty big, and I've never heard of one damaged but they've had to chase a few around town.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr