SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:33 PM
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
Question
Is this a good offer

Hi, just saw this and was not sure if it was a good buy or not.

http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/p-10...elicopter.aspx
HelloNello is online now Find More Posts by HelloNello
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNello View Post
Hi, just saw this and was not sure if it was a good buy or not.

http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/p-10...elicopter.aspx
No, its not. For under US $200 you can get a name-brand 450 size heli with a simple transmitter like the E-Sky Belt CP-X.

If you want to try your hand at a CP heli, go for an ultra-micro. Even if you crash it, it is more crash resistant and will suffer little, if any, damage compared to a larger heli. It is less dangerous, cheaper to buy, with cheap replacement parts.

Have a look at the Skyartec Wasp Nano CP. US $110, and it has a beginner mode set on the heli, unlike the others. Post a 3 min flying video on YouTube, and you can get free batteries and spares from the manufacturer using an ongoing promotion.
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:52 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
No I would say not... it's pretty expensive for a clone of an old design. I also don't recommend these type of kits for beginners because they often have problems which the beginner doesn't know how to fix and that leads to crashes and an endless cycle of repairs and more crashes and you never learn to fly, and never experience what it's like to fly a helicopter that works right. And, in spite of being 2.4GHz, the radios typically suck, and you can't adjust things to set it up for a beginner.

So, you have two choices - buy a more expensive RTF with better quality, or build yourself a kit and choose the price and quality level you want. Here's some options...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...3d-rtf-BLH1600 ($470)- Blade 450 3D RTF. This starts you off with a good quality radio, which is a huge plus in this hobby, and the helicopter can be flown as a trainer with the assistance of a local expert and lots of simulator practice.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-x-rtf-BLH3300 ($190)-Blade Nano CPX RTF. This is a more appropriate trainer helicopter, but the radio won't be useful for larger helicopters.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_Compat_.html ($60)- HK 450 Pro GT Kit. Clone helicopter kit - you will need about $100 to $200 worth of electronics depending on quality level you want, and you'll need a radio, battery charger, batteries...

Here's some of my review videos...

The Blade Nano
Blade Nano CPX Consumer Review and Flight Test (12 min 33 sec)

The HK-450 Pro
HK-450 Pro GT Demo (4 min 22 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:52 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,489 Posts
A 450v2 flybarred frame + basic radio retailing for $750.00???
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:14 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
A 450v2 flybarred frame + basic radio retailing for $750.00???
No it's $247, but that's still a little steep for a cheapo radio and a clone of the old style Trex. I paid around $750 for my genuine Trex 450SA with top of the line electronics back in 2008, so yeah the ad is a little dishonest, that stuff isn't worth $750 so it's good they aren't charging that

Not to mention, does our OP even have the skills to fly one of these aerobatic beasts?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:36 AM
Joined Oct 2012
888 Posts
For $110, Skyartec Wasp Nano CP RTF (with fully programmable 100 mW transmitter, that can fly 400 size Ninja 400 helis, gliders and planes), for $64, Wasp Nano CP BNF.

So for $174, you can get two helicopters plus 1 transmitter, and still save money over the RTF Nano CPX.

Blade helis are excellent, no doubt, but overpriced, and there are lots of other choices available.
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:39 AM
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
Thanks for the info
Too scared to buy or fly a cp heli at this time just trying to understand what is good and not.
HelloNello is online now Find More Posts by HelloNello
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:09 AM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
If I were to do it all over again, I'd go with Lentar's suggestion.

2 practically indestructible Skyartec Wasp Nano CP helis and 1 NASA701 transmitter for $174 is a great deal for a great starter kit.

As it stands, I got two Skyartec Wasp X3V RTFs. Spent 15 hours on the FMS simulator before gathering the courage for first RC heli flight. Very slow learning curve. 43 flights and can only hover tail in, but happy to get the training ping pong gear off after 30 batteries.

Learning to fly helis is much tougher than learning to fly fixed wingers. My brain is working 100% every flight. Have to admit this brain learning to fly helis is 45 years older than when it learned to fly fixed wing

I did crash one on flight #31 resulting in minor damage and a part I don't have needs to be ordered. Got away from me on my first outdoor flight due to very, very mild breeze and hit a chain link fence.

Correction, at this point, I'd still order the 2 Wasp Nano CPs and transmitter, hoping for a faster learning curve. The X3Vs will have a rest when the Nano CPs arrive. No complaints on the X3Vs. They are every bit as the manufacturer said....a total heli noob can fly it. They just don't have the crash survivability of the Nanos.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:43 AM.