HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:00 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
One quirky thing with this setup that I noticed is that there is a setting for FLAP deflection within the BUTTERFLY setup. So, unless I'm looking at this the wrong way, you can actually reverse BUTTERFLY the more into the BUTTERFLY deflection you go if you have the FLAP BUTTERFLY setting too low. Kind of funny. You'll have to play around with it a little to get it dialed in because of that, I think.

It might be better to just do an offset flap to aileron mix.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Apr 27, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:10 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
quick question ...
anyway i can control servo speed on the gear ??
my retracts looks toy-ish with the wheels flipping out at full speed
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
United States, MI, Durand
Joined Feb 2004
67 Posts
Wrend - Thanks for your reply on the Alternated On/Off switch option. Indeed, I tried it tonight and it works as you said. I can see this being usefull on the momentary switch (SH) but I can't see a real good use for it on a 2 or 3 position switch, unless you always wanted your switch to be physically in the same position whether it's on or off. But that would require you to switch it twice whereas the momentary switch will return on it's own. Hmmmm, interesting though. Like I said, this radio has some really clever functionality even if you never need it.

Bill
jones04 is offline Find More Posts by jones04
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:33 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
Wrend wrote
[quote]It might be better to just do an offset flap to aileron mix. [quote]

I did think about that idea.
Only problem with that idea is, you might end up (with flap to aileron mix,) with one aileron moving up, and one down as you increase flap???
At least I figured out how to do a flap to elevator mix, in Prog Mix to avoid pitch up with flap selection. Nice you can chose where to have mix start, ie non-linear mix point.
reminded me of building pitch curves for Heli, norm, idle 1, idle 2 with my Dx-7
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:58 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiW View Post
quick question ...
You could use one of the dials or sliders, use the throttle delay setting and reassign controls, or maybe setup the plane as a glider on the Tx.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:04 AM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiW View Post
quick question ...
No, if you're using mechanical retracts with a retract servo. The servo controls the speed, and its movement is fixed at the factory.

If you're using pneumatic landing gear, then you have to slow the rate that the air passes through the lines. There are restrictors for that. Check with the maker of your model's landing gear.
Bax is offline Find More Posts by Bax
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:09 AM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
274 Posts
The easiest way to set up butterfly is to ignore the butterfly mixer. Go into the Linkage Menu and then the Function section. Dial down to V1. By default, it should be set to "Camber". If not, set it to camber and then put it on the slider/stick/knob/switch you desire to use. Now, go into the Model Menu and then the Camber Mix. Turn it on and now you have a place to adjust the amount and direction of flaps, ailerons, and elevators when you move the desired control. Because you can adjust the direction of movement for each of the different channels you use, you can set up flaps, aileron droop, full butterfly (or "crow"), all with elevator compensation.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:59 AM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
You could use one of the dials or sliders, use the throttle delay setting and reassign controls, or maybe setup the plane as a glider on the Tx.
thanks for the tip ... the throttle delay and reassigning controls was a great idea
will try it out later
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
No, if you're using mechanical retracts with a retract servo. The servo controls the speed, and its movement is fixed at the factory.

If you're using pneumatic landing gear, then you have to slow the rate that the air passes through the lines. There are restrictors for that. Check with the maker of your model's landing gear.
yes .. i know the servo speeds are set at factory
some digital servos even allow u to set the speed according to your liking via some PC intereface
and of coz .. the easiest way is to do it via the radio .. the 12FG/Z and 14MZ has the speed control feature that was not incorporated into the 8FG
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:37 PM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
274 Posts
Controlling servo speed only works for proportional servos. A "retract" servo is not proportional, but only goes from one end of its travel to the other when it's given a "go" signal. It's basically a two-position servo.

With the 14MZ, 12Z, and 12FG, you can set a speed, but that will set only how fast the transmitter modulates the signal from one extreme to the other. Once a retract servo gets its instruction to move, it will move with only its one speed.

If you are using a proportional servo for gear, then, yes, you can set the speed that it moves in those transmitters.

You will always find features in higher-end systems that are not included in the lower-cost systems.
Last edited by Bax; Apr 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:51 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
You will always find features in higher-end systems that are not included in the lower-cost systems.
I thought the 8FG had some settings for servo speed. Ailerons, flaps and elevator. Suspect if it is actually possible, then using the "flaps" channel control and connect to the retract gear on a proportional servo may work. Anyone played with this on the 8FG?
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:40 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
you can change the speed of the servos when switching between flight conditions. Sadly, flight conditions are only available in glider mode. From what I gather it is possible to set up a gas or electric plane as a glider and use the flight conditions, and I played with it briefly, but I haven't done it "in real life" yet.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:59 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
you can change the speed of the servos when switching between flight conditions. Sadly, flight conditions are only available in glider mode. From what I gather it is possible to set up a gas or electric plane as a glider and use the flight conditions, and I played with it briefly, but I haven't done it "in real life" yet.
Hello,

As I said in an earlier post, I'm setting up gliders only using conditions and trying to adjust servo speeds and I see no speed defference in the servos, I'm thinking maybe this only works with digital servos?

See ya, Rockitglider
Rockitglider is offline Find More Posts by Rockitglider
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockitglider View Post
Hello,

As I said in an earlier post, I'm setting up gliders only using conditions and trying to adjust servo speeds and I see no speed defference in the servos, I'm thinking maybe this only works with digital servos?

See ya, Rockitglider
Sorry I wasn't following your post from earlier. I had trouble understanding this on the 8FG too. It turns out that the time delay is when switching between flight conditions, not the actual speed of the servos. Effectively it is the same thing, but it is an important concept to understand when you are trying to program the radio. So you set the servo positions for the different conditions, then you use the delay to control how fast the servos switch between conditions. Someone can probably give you a better step-by-step but this is the gist of how it works, so you can probably figure it out from there. Hope this helps...
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:27 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Pompano Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2008
298 Posts
Hello Rod.d,

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to have the Butterfly initiate slowly so the plane doesn't pitch up or anything like that, I already have the elevator programmed to apply down elevator but it would be cool to have it activate slowly, I guess I could try it on channel 3 Throttle so I can control the activation speed manually. I'll try that this weekend while flying and I'll report back here so others can know how this turns out, Thanks for your help.

Rockitglider
Rockitglider is offline Find More Posts by Rockitglider