SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2009, 06:57 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Help!
Need help with Styrene

I must build some metal brackets to insert pound boads for my Hellen. I have photo's below to show what must be done. The styrene column is easy for a two sided bracket. The problem comes in when I need a three sided or four sided bracket to create the pound board enclosures or if I need the slots for boards to be at 90 degree angle. I have selected the sizes of styrene products that work for scale of boat to build the brackets.

I have NEVER worked with this product. I have questions.

What glue? Good ole Testors?

What is best tool to cut it with? Razor blade? Exacto #11? Saw?

Will it bond with wood? They must be attached to the deck. How would I do that?

I will cut bass wood to fit in tracks for pound boards.

Does anyone else have an alternate method of construction for the brackets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Roach
roach101761 is offline Find More Posts by roach101761
Last edited by roach101761; Jan 13, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2009, 07:11 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,766 Posts
looks like you need some of this stuff from the Raboesch catalog:
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:09 PM
Darren
Bowmanville, Ontario
Joined Oct 2007
48 Posts
Styrene is what all (or almost all) plastic model kits are made out of.

What glue? Good ole Testors?
Any liquid glue made for plastic model kits, Testors(not the tube stuff), Gunze, MBS, MEK, Methylene Chloride, Tenex 7R, Ambroid Pro Weld will all weld it to itself. Any Instant/Crazy/Cyano glue will bond it itself and almost anything else.

What is best tool to cut it with? Razor blade? Exacto #11? Saw?
Saw will work, but not too fast, it will melt, #11 blade, score it then snap apart(this works best if the part is thin), side cutters will cut it quickly, then use a #11 to trim it square.

Will it bond with wood? They must be attached to the deck. How would I do that?
I suggest drilling holes into the bottom of the piece and into the deck then use a small piece of brass or steel rod as a pin, this will keep it in place. Crazy glue will keep it there. If you can't drill into the piece (too thin) Glue a flat square piece of styrene to the bottom for the crazy glue to have something decent to grab onto when you glue it the deck. Thin edges don't bond well with crazy glue(easy to knock over) but it will work.

HTH's, Darren
Admhawk is offline Find More Posts by Admhawk
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:25 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
Phil,
I like a product called Tenax-7r for joining styrene to styrene. It actually "welds" the pieces together and creates a really strong bond. For attaching styrene to wood, CA will work just fine. The pins Darren suggested could work too, CA will keep it stuck to the deck. Styrene also takes to paint pretty well, I've used testors, tamiya and even krylon, they all stick well.
Good luck,
Tom
metomwhou is offline Find More Posts by metomwhou
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:59 AM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
726 Posts
While on the styrene subject, is it necessary to sand it before gluing? Should it be sanded before painting? I'm obviously new to this stuff, too.

I did an experimental glue-up of 2 pieces of 1/32" styrene glued together in a T. Elmer's plastic cement and CA gave a very strong joint. Plain MEK out of the quart can made a weak joint the first time, but a strong joint after I re-did it with more MEK on the edge piece.
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Jan 14, 2009, 07:56 AM
Darren
Bowmanville, Ontario
Joined Oct 2007
48 Posts
Light sanding will always help paint adhesion, but isn't usually required for styrene. It won't do anything for CA or Liquid glue joints, but will help if using epoxy type glues.
Admhawk is offline Find More Posts by Admhawk
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:09 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Thanks for all the information. Patmat's suggestion on material looks like it will make the job easier. How do I access the suggested catalog.

Phil
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,766 Posts
http://www.raboesch.com/ Catalog 1
Sorry to tease, it's a European supplier. Midwest was distributing them here, but it no longer shows on their website... there's a hobby shop close to me though clearing out their Midwest /Raboesch rack, I think they have some of this... which size is good? They're sized for 1, 1.5, and 2mm thick boards.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:55 PM
Joined Feb 2005
181 Posts
Just remember before you paint any styrene clean it !
I use dish washing liquid ,wash and let air dry over night.
Removes all of the release agents from the molding process.
Paint sticks a lot better.
Paul
http://www.homeportmodels.com/
EMSPAUL is offline Find More Posts by EMSPAUL
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:35 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Painting Styrene

I have made the brackets, cut the boards, painted the boards but now I have to paint the styrene. I tried model shipways acrylic but did not cover well and looks like I will have to paint three times.

What should I paint it with if I brush it on?

Should I use primer first? Do I have too?

What should I use if I spray it on with can?

I have 16 little brackets. 7/8 inch tall to hold the pound boards. See my Hellen thread to see them.

They will be a flat black or Iron black.

Any help will be greatly appreciatied.

Phil Roach
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:25 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,766 Posts
Primer is recommended, but on small parts without traffic/flexing etc., maye get away w/o. Airbrush is very recommended for even coverage.