HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joined Nov 2009
288 Posts
Discussion
How should I test a 1s (UM) battery?

Hey folks.

I've got a pile of single cell batteries I've accumulated over the last five years for my ultra micros, ranging from 70mAh to 150mAh. I've been charging them with a ThunderPower four-port charger, which works fine. However: some of them are certainly nearing end of life, and don't hold a charge very well. Obviously the little ThunderPower charger has no informational output, so there's no way I can tell anything from that.

I do have a GT Power 606-D, and I suppose I could build/buy a cable for that if it would be useful. I'd like to mostly stick with the ThunderPower, since it's smaller and more easily portable.

Is there a simple way to test these, or should I just throw them out when they seem to not be very good anymore?

Thanks!
amckenzie4 is offline Find More Posts by amckenzie4
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:21 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,119 Posts
The only way to tell if any good really - is in load test discharge. To see what voltage they sustain at a given amp rate of discharge and how many mA they give out before reaching rec'd minimum voltage level.

As they are 1S, I would suggest that timing the useful output in the model is about easiest and best way. You don't actually need to fly it and risk failure. You should be able to run up on ground and see if motor sags shortly after start-up etc.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:27 AM
Joined Nov 2009
288 Posts
Thanks... I've mostly been flying the Vapor recently, and indoors, so a sudden failure isn't much of a risk. It's mostly either too cold or too windy to fly outside right now anyway. I'll time some flights and see what I'm getting. My guess is that most of the 70mAh batts are gone, but I'd hate to toss them if they're not.
amckenzie4 is offline Find More Posts by amckenzie4