HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:28 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,184 Posts
Discussion
Power upgrades for Freewing 80 and 90mm

As with everything once you fly things for a while they seem to get slower. It's not the plane it's our reactions get used to the speed. That said I have a few Freewing EDF jets I'd like to give more power too. In 90mm I have the Stinger 90 and F-18 V2 and in 80mm the new Mirage.

Motion has a red and blue 90mm inrunner setup on their site that is still 6S and they have a 6s 80mm inrunner set up for the Mirage and other 80mm planes.

The Stinger and F-18 I would like to keep 6S if possible, really I'd like to keep all three 6S but the Mirage has extra room for larger batterys so I'm open to 8S on it.

Not including ESCs the 90mm motor and fan is $160 and the 80mm motor and fan is $105. This is pretty cheap really but is this what will keep me happy for more than a couple flights? I'd rather not go too crazy money wise and as I said I'd rather keep them on 6S.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:46 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,713 Posts
It's not until you actually have a Jetfan/Wemo Evo until you appreciate their worth....the Freewing/Changesun/Taft/Dr Max rotors give a lot of thrust but not a lot of speed using a lot of amps in the process...not very efficient... I've had them all. I was sceptical about the Jetfan/Wemo Evo because of the cost for a long time & tried all the other cheaper alternatives but I succumbed to buying a Jetfan 80 initially for my F-86 because I was not happy with it's performance & what a difference a rotor makes!!! Speed plus thrust while getting reasonable flight times is what you get depending on motor selected. I have started upgrading all my jets to Jetfan / Wemo Evos.....My own opinion is that they are worth their salt in performance....if that's what you're after....even if you want to stay 6s....8s....even better.
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:52 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Not including ESCs the 90mm motor and fan is $160 and the 80mm motor and fan is $105. This is pretty cheap really but is this what will keep me happy for more than a couple flights? I'd rather not go too crazy money wise and as I said I'd rather keep them on 6S.
I'm sure you'll see a bump in performance going to the inrunner fan setups, but I doubt it will be that much as the KV on those motors is the same as the outrunners they would be replacing.

Honestly, if you want more speed you are going to have to spend a little $$$. Best bang for the buck in my opinion is to go with a Jetfan 90 with a HET 700 series motor for the Stinger and F-18 and a Jetfan 80 with a HET 700 series motor for the Mirage. You will definately need a bigger ESC as a hot 6s setup will pull some amps.

The Stinger can definitely handle up to a 10s setup comfortably and I'd say the F-18 is fine on an 8 setup and if more speed is what you are after you should be shooting for those setups. I just put a 10s HET 700-68-1400 setup in my Taft Cobra and it moves like crazy! On a smaller airframe like the Stinger....whoa! My favorite 8s Jetfan 80 setup is the HET 700-68-1680, you can also fly it on 9s for some extra punch!

See the charts below in helping select a good motor to pair with what you're comfortable with.

Good luck!
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,713 Posts
I like the Jetfan 90/Het 1500kv ....gives best of both worlds...good performance on 8s & outstanding on 10s...while still reasonable amp draw...batteries come down barely warm...have it on my Taft Viper....soon the F-16... On my Stinger Wemo Evo/ Cyclone 1350kv motor on 10s....draws only 72 amps gives out 2400W....great performer as well.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:06 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,184 Posts
Thanks for the info, now to start looking for good deals.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:10 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,713 Posts
There's no turning back once you start......
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:32 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info, now to start looking for good deals.
I don't know that you'll find any " DEALS " on a Jetfan/Het motor combos, just everyday good prices. Check with Gary at http://www.effluxrc.com/ .
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:56 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,184 Posts
That's where I'm looking, thanks. Looks like there is a Jetfan 90 and a Jetfan Eco. Everone is saying V2, I assume the Jetfan 90 is the V2 not the Eco. Is the Eco any good?

Either way looks like $251 for the 90 set up and $244 for the 80 both on 8S.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:08 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,422 Posts
Quote:
That's where I'm looking, thanks. Looks like there is a Jetfan 90 and a Jetfan Eco. Everone is saying V2, I assume the Jetfan 90 is the V2 not the Eco. Is the Eco any good?

Either way looks like $251 for the 90 set up and $244 for the 80 both on 8S.
The difference is that the ECO is the HET 39mm plastic shroud. It has a slightly smaller inner diameter than the standard Carbon Fiber Jetfan shroud and Rainer from Jetfan has made the fan fit from the factory. The standard carbon fiber shroud can handle up to a 40mm motor, where as the eco is really for a 39mm motor like the HET 700 series. I have never personally used the Eco but I'm sure it's fine. If you decide to go with a 36mm motor it will fit in both but a good option would be to be the regular HET 9503 shroud for 36mm motors and then just a rotor from effluxrc. Lots of options, all of them good.

As for V1 vs V2, Rainier did a change to the way the fan was mounted to the shaft and at the same time did some upgrades to the fan blades. The only way you'll find a V1 anymore is used.

Another option for the fan is Mike at performance-edf.biz
. He is great to work with and is an airline pilot who is based out of Denver. He might have stock when Gary does not and it might be worth checking as his prices can be better. BUT having said that, Gary at Effluxrc is great to work with and you won't be disappointed in purchasing from him.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:15 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
When I got my JF, I got it from Mike, Gary had not yet started to carry them.
But Mike doesn't have motors.
As swps said, there both great guys to deal with, and quick shipping.

After the fact-- as I had not yet installed or ran it , Mike swapped out my older style rotor for the newer collect style one. Once you get your hands on the V2 , you'll see why everyone suggests it.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Oct 22, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:02 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,184 Posts
Are these fans/ motors the same weight as the stock fans and motors? I did some battery checks and I do have batteries that will fit in all three but it would help if the new set up was either the same or a little heavier.

Umm, these don't appear to have mounting ears??

Thanks
Last edited by Evan D; Oct 22, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:34 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
Using the JF90V2 and any Het 700 series motor, weight is shy of 17 oz. .

As for the mounting ears, they are provided , you just glue them on per the directions (directions in package) Those Het 700 series motors are about 330g . I CA'd mine in place, then a Hysol fillet around it.
The CF shroud is a work of art!
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Oct 22, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:27 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,713 Posts
The Eco Jetfan 90 is fine...that's what I am using...it's light & has the mounting tabs...fits perfectly into Freewing 90mm bay...I just use fibreglass tape to tape up gap exposed when installing without inlet lip. The Het shroud can take a 36mm or 39mm motor...your option...just a cheaper way of housing the Jetfan or Wemo Evo...I run the Wemo Evo as well & it is a good rotor as well.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
For the nuts of it I Just weighed the JF90 CF shroud with mounting ears all glued on--
67g