SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:43 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
533 Posts
Thank you.

I'm trying to learn the side slip on the simulator. I'll also try the knife edge and harrier approach. Once I feel comfortable on the simulator, I'll try it with the Splendor.

Thanks,
Tom
tmulligan is online now Find More Posts by tmulligan
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Sep 2012
334 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone.
carbow is online now Find More Posts by carbow
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Sep 2014
19 Posts
I know I'm coming in late, but I'm on my second Splendor and thought I might save you a bit of grief. In my opinion 200-250 feet is way to short a runway (with a lake at the end!) for a Splendor. I'd guess that is barely the flare + rollout distance with a modest headwind, and will leave you no margin for error.

Regarding forward slips, I love to slip to a landing, but not so much with the Splendor. At 20 ounces per square foot, it's a high wing-loading plane compared to trainers or most 3D planes. As such you really don't want to be flying steep, slow approaches. An abrupt flare could result in a very sensational half snap-roll three feet above the runway!

There are four Splendors currently flying in my club, and most of the pilots follow the Instruction Manual suggestion to carry a little power on final into the flare. Of course this makes for an even longer, flatter approach.

Hate to sound like a grinch, but since you didn't say that you are an expert pilot routinely flying perfect approaches and landings, I'd say your airplane and flying site are incompatible.

Have you checked other modelers and the AMA list of clubs for a suitable site? Have you inquired of local farmers and other property owners for possible use of a 500 foot strip of cut grass or pavement?

Oh, in case you're curious, I plowed my first Splendor into the ground practicing spins to low altitude, something I had gotten quite good at on my simulator .....

Wish you success in finding another flying site.
Jerry Gerber is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Gerber
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Joined Mar 2013
533 Posts
Jerry:

Thank you for your very clear guidance. Unfortunately, I have thus far been unsuccessful at finding better sites or mentor pilots. It sounds like I should only fly the Splendor when the winds enable me to use the landing strip with the longer approach and runway. Simultaneously, I'll keep practicing on the simulator.

Thank you for your insights.

Tom
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,209 Posts
Do you have a plane you hack around with to practice with,Tom. Might save some grief till you get a handle on it with the Splendor. Just to see the results of your handling of the controls.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
Jerry:

Thank you for your very clear guidance. Unfortunately, I have thus far been unsuccessful at finding better sites or mentor pilots. It sounds like I should only fly the Splendor when the winds enable me to use the landing strip with the longer approach and runway. Simultaneously, I'll keep practicing on the simulator.

Thank you for your insights.

Tom
Have you tried using AMA's Clubs listing to find local sites nearby?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
Airframe Stress Analist
United States, NY, Selden
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
Just unpacked my splendor, it looks like the elevator rod is like an inch short. Am I missing something?
lawn mower is offline Find More Posts by lawn mower
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn mower View Post
Just unpacked my splendor, it looks like the elevator rod is like an inch short. Am I missing something?
Pictures?
DanBo3D is online now Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Joined Mar 2013
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Do you have a plane you hack around with to practice with,Tom. Might save some grief till you get a handle on it with the Splendor. Just to see the results of your handling of the controls.

Gord.
Yes, I have an old beat up PZ T-28 and a slightly less beat up PZ Corsair.

Once I get the hang of it on the sim, I'll try it first with my T-28.

If you saw my T-28, you'd see that I have nothing to lose with that plane; no cowl and LOT'S of glue.
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Joined Mar 2013
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Have you tried using AMA's Clubs listing to find local sites nearby?
Yes, I've used the site, put up a sign in the LHS, and asked around. There is an old vacant club field that is smaller than the field behind my house, but to get there you have to go through a gate that says "no trespassing". So, I've been flying solo for about two years in an old pasture behind my house.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,209 Posts
Tom: your planes sound like the same condition of most of my funplanes.
The guys in the club call me the Hotglue King. But then, they're the first to come over and borrow it.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,732 Posts
Tommy, I looked at several of the AMA listed sites in your district.....there's 2 or 3 within about an hour's drive of Jonesboro. Sometimes these clubs can be a ways out of their town; you might find one on your side of your town which ought to close that gap somewhat. You also might study Google Earth for your area, find some land to ask permission to fly from. Good luck!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Joined Mar 2013
533 Posts
Thank you, StarHopper.
Old Today, 01:48 AM
Joined Mar 2005
5 Posts
Lawn mower,
The plane I received also had the incorrect short elevator pushrod (it's actually the same length as the rudder pushrod already installed). My LHS had 2mm rod in stock and I just made my own using the existing keeper and ball joint rather than wait for a new one from HH.

This thing is extremely durable ( thanks to my faulty new DX-6) and a blast to fly!
Rcurl is offline Find More Posts by Rcurl