HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:27 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Question
I'm thinking of starting a hobbyshop

Hey I'm a 25 year old, serving the Oregon National Guard. I'm thinking of going in with my father on a small business. I live in a "vacation" town that sees tons of business in the Summer. There isn't a local hobby store within 80 miles of here. I think this is a good place to open a small hobby shop. I'm interested in a all around hobby store with a place to fly indoors as well. I've been thinking about it for some time, and now that my father is retired I think we would have a good means of doing so. Although I don't have much business experience. There are grants available to me for my military service AND living in a rural area. I'm wondering if there are any others that have successfully done it themselves that could offer some insight to us.

I'm also eligible for Tuition Assistance as long as my Montgomery G.I. Bill (post 9/11) So I'm thinking of making this a 3-5 year plan, maybe get some schooling under my belt to help on the business aspect of things. There are plenty of R/Cers around here along with a ton of retired ladies who do crafts. Although there are some craft / fabric stores around here (Jo-Anne) they seem to be geared more towards the sewing and such. My mother has owned a few florist shops, and she is into crafts as well.

At this location 75% (guessing) of the sales would be in the spring and summer months due to the high volume of tourists. I'm also a graphic arts / web-designer, and have done successful webpages for a couple businesses. So an online store would also help me in the "off" months.

I live at the beach so wind is certainly a factor in the winter, so a small indoor flying area, or partnership with the local gymnasium would help out in the off months. I have access to a small gym at the National Guard armory as well..

This is all still in the "idea" stage.

Hoping that some of you owners could give me some ideas / insight into this.
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:49 PM
cocoa, Fla
Joined Jul 2009
265 Posts
i am closing my hobby shop after 20 years, i got out of the marines and this is what i have done, my advise business wise would be to say no, i started at 24 and with a family even when things where good i do not know how we made it work so long, if it was your dad and he is retired kids grown and the house paid for and this is just what he wants to do with his time. thats fine, but you at 25 it will not be a good move, dealer prices are no better then you can get on line, and hobby guys simply will not pay for your info or help, they will take it, just wont pay for it.i will be surprised if you do not see some of the big distributors fold in the next few years, once there is no longer a need for a local hobby shop, there will also be no need for distributors, everybody on line already buys low and sells high on line so there is no need that your business will be filling, and thats the very basics of business, and you will not pay the rent in a rural area on glue and paint
Expresscraft is offline Find More Posts by Expresscraft
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
I appreciated with such wonderful idea.
Your hobby store should well decorated. If you design a cool experience zone, it must attract many people. wow. You can put the cool RC toys here and customer can view and try it.
If you open a online store, please let me know.
JacobGreen is offline Find More Posts by JacobGreen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Listen to Expresscraft. The LHS is a dying venture. Much easier and cheaper to buy online and from China from the comfort of your home.

I've owned my own business for the past 10 years(not hobby industry), and it gets tough even in a recession proof business. Hobby shops don't last long around here. Usually the only guys who can make it are the guys who work out of their house. Low overhead, no lease to deal with if you go bankrupt. And diversify. We have a hobby shop in our town which does OK. They also store boats and jet ski's and service them as well in the off season. His shop is off the back of his house.

As a young man and graphic artis don't throw your life away. Get a job and make some money!

Also, alot of time when your business is also your hobby, you get burnt out. You may get sick of aeromodeling and want to find a different hobby. Don't spoil what you have!
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:42 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perschek View Post
Hey I'm a 25 year old, serving the Oregon National Guard. I'm thinking of going in with my father on a small business. I live in a "vacation" town that sees tons of business in the Summer. There isn't a local hobby store within 80 miles of here. I think this is a good place to open a small hobby shop. I'm interested in a all around hobby store with a place to fly indoors as well. I've been thinking about it for some time, and now that my father is retired I think we would have a good means of doing so. Although I don't have much business experience. There are grants available to me for my military service AND living in a rural area. I'm wondering if there are any others that have successfully done it themselves that could offer some insight to us.

I'm also eligible for Tuition Assistance as long as my Montgomery G.I. Bill (post 9/11) So I'm thinking of making this a 3-5 year plan, maybe get some schooling under my belt to help on the business aspect of things. There are plenty of R/Cers around here along with a ton of retired ladies who do crafts. Although there are some craft / fabric stores around here (Jo-Anne) they seem to be geared more towards the sewing and such. My mother has owned a few florist shops, and she is into crafts as well.

At this location 75% (guessing) of the sales would be in the spring and summer months due to the high volume of tourists. I'm also a graphic arts / web-designer, and have done successful webpages for a couple businesses. So an online store would also help me in the "off" months.

I live at the beach so wind is certainly a factor in the winter, so a small indoor flying area, or partnership with the local gymnasium would help out in the off months. I have access to a small gym at the National Guard armory as well..

This is all still in the "idea" stage.

Hoping that some of you owners could give me some ideas / insight into this.
I own a online hobby shop and business is okay for the economy being so low. The issue with importing is you have to have the capitol they don't take credit in china, buying from great planes or horizon is good but they have monthly minimums you have to stay with in to keep the account open, if you have clientele and you can move the product you might do okay. E-commerce is where I started but the competition is fierce. If you want to make it don't open a full blown store, start with just a few products or find a nitch product in the hobby and run with it something you don't have to compete with HK or Nitro models or any one else you set your own mark up. Do the trade shows, local events, get involved with the clubs and push your product line, you tube video is one of the fastest ways to get your product known. Don't waist you time in the forums to many haters to try to knock you down.
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:36 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
Listen to expresscraft and seefest. Get your education and find a good job that pays well. Provide for your self and your family first. I can remember back in the 70's when I was part owner of a hobby shop. We specialized in RC and CL planes. No cars, boats or helis. Pattern and Formula 1 was big. No cheap ARFs from China. We made good money, but not enough for the two of us to provide for our families. We both had full time jobs that supported our families. The hobby shop supported our hobby and what was left over we donated to local clubs for their contest. We also advertised in RCM and had a good mail order business going.

But today, you can't compete with China and the likes of HK, BH, NP and some others.. Customers will put up with their poor service, low quality products, long shipping delays and total lack of customer service, just to get a cheap price. (which in the long run costs them more even if they don't just down right lose their money dealing with them.)

You mentioned crafts, you will spread yourself too thin. You must have enough customers to pay for all the floor space you will need to carry enough products for such an idea. With the floor space comes overhead, utilities, insurance, rent, taxes, (both state and federal), governmental regulations, (both city and state).

Get your education and support your family, then start a hobby shop in your back yard or garage.

I hate to rain on your parade, but these are just the facts.

Frank
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Dec 2004
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCforithobbies View Post
Don't waist you time in the forums to many haters to try to knock you down.
That is probably the best advice you can get! If you do start a business in RC, scan the forums every once in a while but DO NOT EVER reply to a topic about you or the products you are selling. No matter what you do, you will always end up looking bad!
Skyshark01 is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark01
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
I think rc product market is big,it worth to try
sunshine88 is offline Find More Posts by sunshine88
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Import duty

How much is the legal US import duty or customs fee for rc electronic toys and battery?
And do US citizen need a special licence as commercial one to import eg. a 5,000usd goods per month or so?or just import it, pay the taxes and no comercial licence at all?
ishady is offline Find More Posts by ishady