HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:54 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Discussion
New Nirvana ll

A few months back I decided it was time to look into getting another Nirvana ll sailboat. I have owned two Nirvana's in my early sailing days. Sold those two and moved on to bigger boats.

As time went by I realized that I missed sailing the Nirvana. I looked around and found a very nice boat that a fellow forum member had purchased new, sadley he never got around to using it - the price was attractive - so I opted to get it - At that point, it occurred to me my wife might like to go sailing with me. Being the good husband that I am, I contacted my buddy Steve Lang at Sailrc.com to order one more Nivana. I ordered this one without electronics - as I had some extra servos and I have the radio and transmitter needed, so the investment was minimal.

Like many of you, I like to add my own touches to each boat - I made some changes to graphics on the first boat, similar to what I had done to my previous Nirvana's. Got the boat all tuned up and ready to sail, but when I tried to get the wife out there with me, she preferred playing golf with her buddies. Worked for me!

I decided I'd put that boat up for sale and concentrate on the other boat. Out of the blue a friend from the Nirvana forum asked me if I'd sell it to him. He had purchased one of my other Nirvana's - and he told me he wanted another boat to have on hand for "buddy sailing". Jim now has two very nice Nirvana's a red one and a blue one. He is my best customer!! Thanks Jim.

I got busy on my remaining boat. Since I purchased this boat without electronics, my first step was to install them - I keep a few servos on hand for back-ups so I installed a Hitec HS 645 MG sail servo and an HS 311 MS rudder servo. Next I removed the factory shrouds and backstay replacing them with Surflon 30 lb. test 1 x 7 strand nylon coated SS leader and Sailsetc #030-030 SS rigging screws.

I decided to modify the way the sheets attached to the booms - the factory set up works, but I prefer something that provides a greater degree of control for setting the sail trim. To do this I installed two eyelets on each boom so I could incorporate bowsies to make sail trim adjustments instead of sliding the O-rings the factory provided. I replaced the "string" like sheet lines with a high quality Spectra type fishing line and removing any burrs and sharp edges on all the blocks and guides the line comes in contact with. I relocated the exit hole in the electronics bay to a better position that reduces the drag on the sheets as the pass in and out of the boat.

I use an Airtronics RDS 8000 transmitter on my boats and planes so I installed an Airtronics receiver and batteries - next was testing the electronics, making any needed adjustments. Next was to begin setting up the sail trim. Having done this on several of these boats in the past, this didn't take much time.

Next was to address the boats appearance. The manufacturer of this boat is decal happy - so my first step was to remove most of the factory decals. The Nirvana has nice looking hull, and with the addition of a few simple trim stripes, the boat appears longer and leaner. I am happy with the changes I've made - but you can judge for your self if you like them.

The guys on the Nirvana forum have decided the that factory keel has excessive flex, and some have reinforced their boat's keel. I plan on making that modification in the near future and at some point, adding a set of custom sails..

The factory sails are durable and the boats sails well, but I feel the factory sails limit the boat from achieving it's real potential. For now the boat looks good, and sails nicely. Once I tackle the last two modifications, I will post and update to report how much of an improvement was made.

Thanks for your interest
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 19, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:55 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
517 Posts
Boomer,

New to RC Sailing and have been searching sights for rigging information. Thanks for this post. I recently purchased a Nirvana II. Your set up provided me a ton of ideas. What are your thoughts on replacing the boom vang or leave it stock? Also, you mentioned down the road adding a set of custom sails. Would you also add a longer boom crane allowing for more sail area for your custom sails? Wow, you have my gears turning now! Thanks for all the info and keep it coming. DW
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:54 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson View Post
Boomer,

New to RC Sailing and have been searching sights for rigging information. Thanks for this post. I recently purchased a Nirvana II. Your set up provided me a ton of ideas. What are your thoughts on replacing the boom vang or leave it stock? Also, you mentioned down the road adding a set of custom sails. Would you also add a longer boom crane allowing for more sail area for your custom sails? Wow, you have my gears turning now! Thanks for all the info and keep it coming. DW
If you haven't visited the "Official Nirvana" thread I am sure you would find it informative. Just about everything anyone would want to know about these boats can be found there.

To address your questions I'd stay that a set of custom sails would permit the boat to see it's true potential. The stock sails are fine but don't produce the kind of power a set of well made sails can. The material used on the stock sails is quite thick compared to the materials a sailmaker would use.
You can read a lot about some of the Nirvana's respond to this upgrade on the other thread.

As far as upgrading the boom vang, again the factory unit works fine, but can be improved. I posted some photos for you that show on way of upgrading the stock boom vang.

On the Nirvana thread there is a special project on creating a high tech Nirvana - has all kinds of tips on the modification possible to improve the Nirvana. More information is provided on the rigging changes you see below.
Dennis D at Walrus Sails made these upgrades, the sails and the keel modifications for this project. Steve Lang donated the boat and Dennis the sails and upgrades. Lots of good stuff.
Check it out.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 02, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:50 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
517 Posts
Thank you so much for the information and photos. I will check out the thread. DW
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson