HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:52 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Discussion
Astro-hog

I used to go to RCUniverse, but got tired of being kicked off the air while there. Seemed it was OK or No-K there. Never knew one minute to the next. With a few exceptions, seems to be same group here.

What I need, and got left off hanging, was the wingspan to some 1960's era or 1970's era SIG or earlier Astro-Hog. NOT as per box, but need an actual measurement to 1/16th" +/- off the completed A/C or the plan. Any other places would be OK too, for need wing chord, dihedral angle and overall length.

Box measurements are notoriously wrong.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,605 Posts
I am curious as to why? or what for?
I remember a number of us leaving panels off to get a shorter wingspan for more performance before. In the two I had built previously, it was easy to wind up sanding and shaping a little too much off the wing tips or having the ribs a little closer together causing the wing span to be shorter. 1/16 if a inch falls in the range of someone sanding and shaping the wingtips differently. I can see lots of planes being as much as 1/2 an inch off from each other, even from the same builder. I think the one time five of us had out Astro Hogs together at the flying field on the same day, they were all a little different from each other, and we all had different wing tips.

the plans could vary over the years, it depends on how SIG copied the plans. If a third party scanned and copied the plans, the overall size can be off a little too. SIG did change the design and plans over the years from the earliest models.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
There's a long thread on this in the Fuel Planes threa.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Howell:

Saw your mention, but after searching, came up with nothing.

You got a good URL for the place?

Wm.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:42 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Dec 2003
5 Posts
I just measured mine. 5 feet 10 and 5/8 inches. The tape was tight tip to tip.
Plane was built by Bob Yohanas now deceased.
flyersailor is offline Find More Posts by flyersailor
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
I see. That is about the smallest W/S yet. You happen to measure the chord also?

Wm.
Old May 05, 2011, 06:34 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I have a Sig Hog and an Original 1959 Dmeco models Astro Hog, they are about the same width but the older Hog has more dihedral.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old May 05, 2011, 09:52 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeenut View Post
I have a Sig Hog and an Original 1959 Dmeco models Astro Hog, they are about the same width but the older Hog has more dihedral.
Dmeco, Debolt Model Engineering Co. NEVER produced an Astro Hog. This model was made by Bill Effinger's Berkeley Models. Anyway, the original model had 72" wingspan plus or minus 1/16". I have the plans from Aeromodeller plans service.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old May 05, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
As mentioned,

you had better check the label on that box one more time, for the A-H came out in fall of 1956 and showed up circa 1957 across the Los Angeles basin. Is mentioned in the noted article text where it went then.

I got out back someplace the full bundle of originals for plans by Hal DeBolt, and articles as to what actally was produced, and the name Astro- flat does not come up.

If you use the 1/2 widths for wings as per plan, add in dihedral angle, you will not come anywhere near to 72 inches as stated upon original plan.

Wm.
Old May 05, 2011, 10:04 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeenut View Post

The older Hog did not have the same radio gear inside, it was a high wing put out by Veco later on. Thus the need for high dihedral angle.

Wm.
Old May 07, 2011, 12:11 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Coosbaylumber, sorry to be so late with this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...astro+hog+bipe
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old May 31, 2011, 11:50 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Dmeco, Debolt Model Engineering Co. NEVER produced an Astro Hog. This model was made by Bill Effinger's Berkeley Models. Anyway, the original model had 72" wingspan plus or minus 1/16". I have the plans from Aeromodeller plans service.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovDcg6TxZs This has been verified by many old flyers as a geenie Dmeco Models Hog.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
What was posted here by our Cherokee friend went over my head.

Wm.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:44 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,157 Posts
Cherokeenut, Your dad probably added that decal to get people to ask questions or he might have thought it looked nice on that plane, but that's from DeBolt not Berkeley.

I'm sorry, but Berkeley did the first Astro Hog and then Sig updated the old design and kitted their own version.

By the way, your dad did a nice job on that Hog. It's been around a long while. I had forgotten about the orange wheels, I think they were by Bonner.

Paul
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Last edited by pd1; Jun 01, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:25 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Debolt Model Engineering Co. NEVER produced an Astro Hog
Have to agree with Edubarca- I've never seen any documentary evidence of a deBolt Astro Hog kit.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ