bps
Find More Posts by bps
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
962 Posts
Discussion
Freewing 64mm Mig 15

Just finished up a new 64mm Freewing Mig 15 from Value Hobby. Graeat supplier to do business with, I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with them, good prices, fair shipping and fast!

I found a number of areas on this Mig I wanted to change. Here is the list;
1) I used all Dubro control horns and EZ Connectors. Replaced connector screws with Allen set screws for clearance under canopy and between elevator control horns and fuse side.
2) The above required a new elevator servo. I could not find a new servo arm for the kit supplied servo.
3) Removed the rear foam canopy mounting tab and installed magnets. The tab interfered with the elevator control rods.
4) Moved the ESC to the underside of the battery tray. Space is limited on the battery tray and this placed the ESC directly in cool air and added very little in terms of fan air obstruction.
5) decided not to Y aileron servos and instead used a separate channel for each allowing many programming options.
6) Removed battery Velcro strap supplied and glued non skid shelf liner in place under battery. Installed new computer Velcro straps. This provides plenty of space for battery size options and CG adjustments.

That's it, maiden soon as the weather warms and I can get to the field!
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
623 Posts
It's a great flying plane. Be sure to watch this video before you hand launch

Hobby Lobby EPO Mig-15 Launch Video (2 min 6 sec)
thrashmaster71 is online now Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Apr 01, 2013, 11:26 AM
bps
Find More Posts by bps
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
962 Posts
Yes thanks for the link. I have watched that before. I also have a Sabre, Panther and Stinger. All 64mm and they launch about the same.

Thanks again.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old May 01, 2013, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by radfordc
United States, KS, Lansing
Joined Jan 2002
1,467 Posts
I've been launching my Mig with a bungee system, but tried a hand launch today. Oops, pitch up, stall, straight down into the dirt. With the bungee you step back a few paces and just let the plane go. It flys away straight and fast.
radfordc is offline Find More Posts by radfordc
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by pmoubed
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
CG of this model

Hi thrashmaster71,

Would you please post the CG position; I have the CG according to the manual but it seems tail heavy and I could not do a maiden flight yet. I tried twice and she pitched up and crashed. Please also post a picture of the CG.

what battery are you using 2200? or smaller?

Thanks.
pmoubed is offline Find More Posts by pmoubed
Old Mar 04, 2014, 12:22 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
623 Posts
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I had the cg in the same spot as the manual, but I can check when I get home. I had to retire the airframe, but I still have it, and I marked where the CG was. It is extremely critical that you not throw it at any upward angle. It must be perfectly straight out, otherwise it will just go straight up and stall.

I was using 3s 1800s.

-Dan
Old Mar 04, 2014, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by pmoubed
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
I was able to maiden her today! it was my throwing with some trim issue. now she is flying!
pmoubed is offline Find More Posts by pmoubed
Last edited by pmoubed; Mar 05, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:04 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
623 Posts
Congrats on your successful maiden! I'm sorry I forgot to check where I had my CG, but it sounds like you are in good shape. This plane is very sensitive about the way you throw it!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by cwolfe
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,556 Posts
I have one of these on the way. I also have a Wattage M-15 airframe for back up. It's about 2" larger wingspan.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Fly-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat
Joined Jan 2011
252 Posts
I've had one of these Mig 15s sitting new in the box for the last two years in my basement; finally got around to putting it together. Looks like a great little plane, very solid too. Anybody know how fast these go?
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Old Apr 03, 2015, 06:24 AM
Find More Posts by relaxr
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,865 Posts
I dopplered my Mig in Original setup on 40C Lipos and a slightly narrowed tail cone with around 140 km/h. Should be 87 mph. Not bad for a jet like this . I love this Mig !
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr