HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,307 Posts
Whoops!
Prop Rotation North America vs Europe

I hate to be a noob, but I guess you can't argue with the evidence. I have trays full of propellers. I never purchased a particular prop with a specific rotation in mind. I always purchased both directions and ordered a couple of each when buying online. I always figured there might be the chance I want to do a counter-rotation setup.

Most props are not marked for rotation. I pretty much stick to Left Hand rotation for all my applications. Unless you're using a lock nut, you can lose your prop if it's turning in a right hand rotation when going forward. I use some pretty powerful brushless motors and mostly all shafts are Right Handed Threads. The torque will usually keep the props on tight under load.

I was setting up my Dumas Osprey for a run and wanted to try a Raboesch high thrust prop. The Raboesch props are marked for rotation. I grabbed the one marked LT and secured it to the shaft. The boat want to go in full reverse! I figured there mast have been a mistake when hooking up the motor, so I quickly reversed the polarity. I gave it full throttle in the pool and the prop flew off to the deep end.

WTH??? I jumped and retrieved the prop. It was a clearly a right hand prop.

I went back to Cornwall Model boats to check serial numbers and then noticed a little blurb at the top of the page.

Please note that when handing a Graupner prop the rotations are as follows:
Right Hand = Anti-clockwise rotation looking from the rear of the boat
Left Hand = Clockwise rotation looking from the rear of the boat

Oh my! I never knew this!! All this time, Europe looks from the front of boat and Americans look from the rear.

You think they would have come to a common world standard, but I guess not.

Many of you may know this fact, but I just realized this after 10 years or so.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2013, 02:06 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,611 Posts
You are far from the first to get flummoxed by that ridiculous situation. I just look at the prop and determine which way it has to turn to go forward.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Sep 08, 2013, 03:24 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytime View Post
I went back to Cornwall Model boats to check serial numbers and then noticed a little blurb at the top of the page.

Please note that when handing a Graupner prop the rotations are as follows:
Right Hand = Anti-clockwise rotation looking from the rear of the boat
Left Hand = Clockwise rotation looking from the rear of the boat

Oh my! I never knew this!! All this time, Europe looks from the front of boat and Americans look from the rear.

You think they would have come to a common world standard, but I guess not.

Many of you may know this fact, but I just realized this after 10 years or so.
That still sounds backwards, as this is how most of is in North America sort out
propeller rotation. Starboard propeller clockwise, looking from the stern.
Port propeller anti-clockwise, looking from the stern.

However, that may be reversed if looking at some "Tow" boats, or tugs.
So it all comes down to proper research for the boat that is being modeled.

It has also been noted that the description from European companies can be
confusing. But if propellers are purchased in pairs, it can be sorted out.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Sep 08, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
You are far from the first to get flummoxed by that ridiculous situation. I just look at the prop and determine which way it has to turn to go forward.
I can tell when I pay attention, but ordering a prop with a standard picture can be a problem. That is when I order from Europe.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 09:45 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,156 Posts
Umi

Nice diagram on the CC's prop set up. But it doesn't apply to all boats, as a lot of the Harbor and River Tugs, use inboard turning wheels. The boat's "walk" better, especially with a barge.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Sep 09, 2013, 02:42 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
Nice diagram on the CC's prop set up. But it doesn't apply to all boats, as a lot of the Harbor and River Tugs, use inboard turning wheels. The boat's "walk" better, especially with a barge.

Which is why I mentioned it...
Old Sep 09, 2013, 03:37 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
The ridiculous situation is with the US, the rest of the world standardises while the US sticks with outdated and nonsensical standards
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Sep 09, 2013, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,156 Posts
Umi

I missed it, as usual, you did a fine job. Also, I just wish, the "world wide" model boat industry, would just use the same descriptions, terminology, etc., as are used on the Real Boats, that would solve a lot of these issues.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Sep 09, 2013, 09:02 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
348 Posts
Nick

What outdated and nonsensical standards are you referring to. Out board and in board turning propellers have been in use for lots of years It all depends on how you want the vessel to handle.
As far as I know propeller rotation has always been as viewed from the stern of the vessel looking forward in the US. It is the same as a right hand thread on a bolt. turn it clockwise and it will advance into the nut. Same with a right hand propeller turn it clockwise and it will advance in the water.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:30 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,721 Posts
Was a ref to the US sticking to imperial measurements and being a sparky (and wiring a few US boats) the us wiring colour standards.
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
348 Posts
I don't see the US converting to full metric in my lifetime. To expensive, would cost millions to change all the highway speed limits to metric.
I was in the UK in 2010 and noted that there speed limits are still in MPH not KPH.

I work in both depending on what the machining job asks for. I do like the ease of working with metric.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:21 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman2005 View Post
I don't see the US converting to full metric in my lifetime. To expensive, would cost millions to change all the highway speed limits to metric.
I was in the UK in 2010 and noted that there speed limits are still in MPH not KPH.

I work in both depending on what the machining job asks for. I do like the ease of working with metric.

Dave
They said that forty years ago....

Working in Metric is so easy once someone actually gets used to it.
My only hiccup is remembering "decimeters" comes between Meters and centimenters.

Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:41 PM
Just north of Tampa, Fl.
Joined Jan 2009
246 Posts
Here are some examples of US Naval ships.

For Spruance anad Kidd class DD's and DDG's and Ticonderoga class CG's.

For Burke class DDG's

For California class CGN's

For Charles F adams DDG's

For Belknap class CG's

Duane
Navy2000 is offline Find More Posts by Navy2000
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
The ridiculous situation is with the US, the rest of the world standardises while the US sticks with outdated and nonsensical standards
Look who's talking? You're driving on the wrong side of the road! You say Australian's use the English language, but nobody can understand you!!

Aussie English (2 min 54 sec)
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:04 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
To tell the truth. I just messed around and decided which way made my boat work best.
So far ,I have found that looking from the rear, the left prop clockwise and the right prop C-Clockwise offers the best forward performance..
This is offset by a lot cavitation when going astern..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!