SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:27 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,669 Posts
Discussion
The things you find in late model cars....

Try this...

The wiring we use in American made cars is about the bottom of the barrel...

It is not oil nor heat resistant.

This is the engine subharness on a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country minivan...

Engine Code: P0205 Injector Circuit.

Normally you would find a bad plug and or injector from water intrusion in to the sealed portion of the injectors electrical connection... I took it off and liiked at it and thought then and there "This ain't it." so I took out the subharness to check it with a meter.... In the process of removing the subharness from the car the problem was easy to see... This part of the harness is on the back side of the engine, you will only see this puppy when you pull the top off of the intake and remove the subharness..

This affects all 3 American car makers. Considering that these cars have more electronics than ever one would think they would opt for teflon coated wiring.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:31 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Well, it IS a Chrysler product.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
The WORST examples by far was the plugs leading to the idle speed motor on 80's Ford Tempos, They were disproportionate on the number of them that the insulation was missing on all 4 wires of the plug for over an inch...

The worst copper in all of the cars I have seen was in a 2005 Chevy truck in 2009... 4 of the positive lines running from the computer to the injuctors were broken inside the insulation and would make contact when every they were good and ready and it would continually change... A fun find, This truck was a former electric company truck (4WD) that did a lot of off road in this rural area. All 4 breaks were in the area between the motor and the body on the main engine harness.

Note: All of the injectors have 12 Volts at all times, firiing of the injector is done by pulsing them with ground. This is common among all manufactures, I have never seen one done otherwise, I am not saying there is not an oddball out there somewhere.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:44 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Quote:
^^ This ^^ My mom and stepdad bought a new 300M shortly after they came out, that piece of excrement hasn't ever run right.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
^^ This ^^ My mom and stepdad bought a new 300M shortly after they came out, that piece of excrement hasn't ever run right.
Send it down... I take in the hard cases.

That van in the first post has seen 3 techs and Powertain Control Modules... (Price one ) It came to me on the hook(Tow Truck, First thing I did was put in the original PCM which restored the cars electrical accessories... after that it was find the problem... Less than 30 minutes.

The one thing I have noticed is that during these hard times everyone thinks they can fix this stuff, I hate it when I looked through the job apps at work. 99% are unqualified to open the hood.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:39 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
I'll never own a Chrysler or GM

Unfortunately my tax dollars has to pay for them anyways
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:43 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
I'll never own a Chrysler or GM

Unfortunately my tax dollars has to pay for them anyways
LOL Yes you do, and some of the people who build them drink and smoke pot on their lunch break. Frankly one would think the designers are the ones on drugs.
However I LOVE my 05 Tahoe so they are not all bad.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:47 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
315 Posts
Quote:
LOL Yes you do, and some of the people who build them drink and smoke pot on their lunch break. Frankly one would think the designers are the ones on drugs.
What they're on is a budget: anywhere they can save a penny, they do. Same reason they don't use teflon coated wires...usually only see that in aviation.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:48 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
Send it down... I take in the hard cases.

That van in the first post has seen 3 techs and Powertain Control Modules... (Price one ) It came to me on the hook(Tow Truck, First thing I did was put in the original PCM which restored the cars electrical accessories... after that it was find the problem... Less than 30 minutes.

The one thing I have noticed is that during these hard times everyone thinks they can fix this stuff, I hate it when I looked through the job apps at work. 99% are unqualified to open the hood.
I saw the same thing fixing locks. For some reason, the last person asked about locks is a locksmith. example-8 out of 10 door closers I see are installed wrong, and it's only 6 to 8 holes, and they come with templates and instructions! Not exactly rocket science.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Who says they are not on drugs also?

As for your Tahoe... I'd liken it to me flying a Blade helicopter. Still a piece of junk, but better than the Walkera crap.

And is it still a Blade after I changed out the crap ESC, the crap servo's the crap motor, etc... Etc...

Not really and I would have been better off buying an Align clone.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:39 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by be77 pilot View Post
well, it is a chrysler product.
+10
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:46 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Good and bad models from every mfg. my Chrysler Jeep was by far the best car I've ever owned. My Nissans were complete and total garbage.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
2002 gm 250k+ miles. The only problems I have had are wiring related. I think I have issues with a harness on top of the tranny/bell housing, but it runs fine and gets normal mileage, so it can stay until I replace the tranny.

I have read on line of people who have replaced their t-case and the 4wd problem remains, and I bet a new t-case that is nothing more than the axle disconnect wiring connector.

Funny thing is I had to remount my airbox and removed the mass airflow sensor plug. Then I forgot to hook it back up, and the truck ran fine with only a couple miles in lost gas mileage. I would have never guessed it would still run without it.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,669 Posts
Another thing on the 90 and later Chrysler products(Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth and Jeep), they are prone to internal breaks on the wires in the drivers door jam... Those wires for the door switches, power windows etc...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCWorks; Jan 06, 2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2004
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
Another thing on the 90 and later Chrysler products(Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth and Jeep), they are prone to internal breaks on the wires in the drivers door jam... Those wirs for the door switches, power windows etc...
Most car lines suffer this problem.

BTW 90 Jeeps used B+ for injector driver control.
Wrench is offline Find More Posts by Wrench