HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:30 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,064 Posts
Evolution10cc Gasoline Engine Start ,First Run (4 min 27 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798085
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:21 PM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,165 Posts
Fly, you are running it way too rich!

Read page 10 in the manual!

Being stubborn and continuing it as your clip shows, doesn't get the job done...
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Last edited by DarZeelon; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2011
126 Posts
How is the power out put compared to a glow engine? Would it be like a os 40 or os 55

thanks
dbar101219 is offline Find More Posts by dbar101219
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:56 PM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,165 Posts
Dbar,

The heat energy of gasoline per charge, compared to that of methanol (both in stoichiometric ratios), dictates horsepower output is about 24% higher for a methanol-fuel engine of equal displacement, running 0-5% nitro.
This would suggest a .60 cid gas engine makes the same power, as does a .48 glow engine on 0-5% nitro.

Because glow engines are run a bit richer for safety and reliability, you can compare this gas engine's power to that of a .50-.52 glow engine of identical design.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:14 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,331 Posts
Dbar, the Evo 10cc engine is equivalent to running a .45 to .46, maybe a .48 or so size glow engine. But it has four stroke engine characteristics in that it can turn larger props too. A benefit of the spark ignition system versus glow.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
+1 until now it's just vaporware I wish a video from earlwb because he's not spektrum fanboy.
I'll see what I can do about that. It depends on our Texas weather down here. If one doesn't like the weather, just wait a while, as it will change.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,856 Posts
Geezus, this thread is really bringing out all the weirdo's!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,856 Posts
The engine has a real nice sound to it.

Is that some of the infamous 'black goo' we have heard about, coming out the front of the muffler at the screw head?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:59 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,331 Posts
That black goo is simply the unburnt oil residue left over after it passes through the engine. No big deal, nothing to worry about. These pics are after doing five flights for the day with this engine and airplane. Some guys tend to clean their planes after every flight, so they would have less mess to cleanup afterwards. Now maybe if I used a little less oil there would be less passing through the engine. or maybe if I used a exhaust diverter tube as well, it would reduce it too. Aerobatics tends to have the oil residue get all over the plane more as well.

There is a chemical reaction going on during combustion that turns the unburnt oil black too. This is a gasoline engine and not a glow engine. But even some glow fuels have the oil turn black too.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: forgot to add a final comment
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:16 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,856 Posts
Yeah Earl, I ain't worried about it. I was just wonderin', ya know?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:37 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
+1 until now it's just vaporware I wish a video from earlwb because he's not spektrum fanboy.

I'll definitely drink to that!

I must add that the alleged R/C system brand-name is better known here as 'Sp-rektum'...
Some of their lesser models are considered to be of doubtful quality, by some unhappy modelers here. Futaba is preferred here.

I have no doubts at all about the quality of this engine, however.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:37 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Yeah Earl, I ain't worried about it. I was just wonderin', ya know?
Nice! Hahahaha!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:56 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,165 Posts
...And I was thinking the goo was one of the leading reasons for preferring gas engines to glow engines.

This is one yucky airplane!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarZeelon View Post
Fly, you are running it way too rich!

Read page 10 in the manual!

Being a stubborn 'rectal orifice' and continuing it as your clip shows, doesn't get the job done...

Wow !
Last edited by flyinwalenda; Dec 31, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
That black goo is simply the unburnt oil residue left over after it passes through the engine. No big deal, nothing to worry about. These pics are after doing five flights for the day with this engine and airplane. Some guys tend to clean their planes after every flight, so they would have less mess to cleanup afterwards. Now maybe if I used a little less oil there would be less passing through the engine. or maybe if I used a exhaust diverter tube as well, it would reduce it too. Aerobatics tends to have the oil residue get all over the plane more as well.

There is a chemical reaction going on during combustion that turns the unburnt oil black too. This is a gasoline engine and not a glow engine. But even some glow fuels have the oil turn black too.

I also think this will diminish in time as most ABC engines take a long time to break-in, but the 20:1 mix is rather stout so there will probably always be some oil pumping out.

I too am not really worried about it.
Last edited by flyinwalenda; Dec 31, 2012 at 04:23 AM.