HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,377 Posts
I finally got in my Hyperion 550s today. My Mossy has been a total hanger queen - I've probably flown in six times since I got it, and I got the first one my LHS received. I'm hoping these new batteries will change that.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,376 Posts
Maiden

I just got the same (550) batteries, and my replacement Mossie, and all I can say is TAIL HEAVY!! After dialing full down trim (which wasn't enough) I landed and tried the 550 -- that was much better -- just about right. I'll be flying with 550's from here on.

I converted my other micros to brushless, but I like the twin gearbox sound on this one; looks like it will stay this way for a while. Good looking plane.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Hi,

Can anybody tell me what is involved with fitting GWS 5030 props to the mossie prop shafts?

Thanks in advance
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Sep 05, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Hi,

Can anybody tell me what is involved with fitting GWS 5030 props to the mossie prop shafts?

Thanks in advance
Yes i can

I use GWS Plantraco Propeller Adapters. Not the cheapest but the best.

Pop one off the sprue and push fit into the GWS 4mm hole and screw onto the shaft (thats it no messing around) in my opinion the best i have ever come across.

Plantraco Prop Adapter Set. Google it valiantGLX

These prop adapters enable you to fit GWS and other props with 4mm bore to 1mm, 1.2mm (0.047") and 1.5mm shafts. The set includes 2 of each type.

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/prop_adapter.html

Happy to help valiantGLX
richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:47 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,376 Posts
Because they are made for a thicker shaft with a prop saver or prop adapter. They work quite well with ap05 brushless motors, but not with the gearbox. The 5030 will also have to be cut down to 4.5" to clear the fuselage. (there is a three-blade 5030, by the way)

Edit: I see -- you can do it after all. Now you just have to cut down the props. The stock ones are still more slender and scale looking.
Last edited by jdwolters; Sep 05, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:51 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,376 Posts
Does anyone know how long I can fly this on a 550? How about a 320? (my 1S charger doesn't tell me how much energy it puts back into the battery so unless I run it to LVC I just don't know.)
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Does anyone know how long I can fly this on a 550? How about a 320? (my 1S charger doesn't tell me how much energy it puts back into the battery so unless I run it to LVC I just don't know.)
On 500 I fly until I get tired! not sure but probably more than 10 minutes.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:31 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richos View Post

Yes i can

I use GWS Plantraco Propeller Adapters. Not the cheapest but the best.

Pop one off the sprue and push fit into the GWS 4mm hole and screw onto the shaft (thats it no messing around) in my opinion the best i have ever come across.

Plantraco Prop Adapter Set. Google it valiantGLX

These prop adapters enable you to fit GWS and other props with 4mm bore to 1mm, 1.2mm (0.047") and 1.5mm shafts. The set includes 2 of each type.

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/prop_adapter.html

Happy to help valiantGLX
Thanks heaps for the nudge in the right direction

I am equipping the mosquito electrics in a scratch built carbon cub, so scale looks and limited prop space is not an issue. Now bearing this in mind what propeller combo will produce the most amount of thrust without overworking the motors too much?

You guys pointed me to the gws 5030s in the past, but what would be the difference between the 2 blade and 3 blade versions?
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:34 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,658 Posts
One third
Sorry, couldn't help myself there
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
The 5030 will also have to be cut down to 4.5" to clear the fuselage. (there is a three-blade 5030, by the way)
Do you balance the prop? If so, how? Or do just measure and cut carefully and not worry about it.
alset is offline Find More Posts by alset
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:43 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,376 Posts
First measure carefully and try spinning with a drill and touch to sandpaper - pretty close. You can get a bit more thrust because the blades are quite a bit wider, but it doesn't look as nice. (reminds me of a turboprop)
Last edited by jdwolters; Sep 08, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:51 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,376 Posts
Battery time to LVC

I tried the two new batteries and ran one of each to LVC. They went for quite a long at basic cruise speed with no aerobatics. I got 10:20 from the 320mAh and 16:50 from the 530mAh. That is proportionally the same so the extra weight was no bother at all. With aerobatics my times are about half that. The Hyperion 530 (made for the blade 120) seems quite ideal. Both were quite warm at LVC. If I stop before LVC the 320 is warm but the 530 is cool to the touch.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:25 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,658 Posts
LVC will kill your batteries!!!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:28 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,376 Posts
I know! I just had no idea what to set the timer to; now I do. (I'll half each time.)
Last edited by jdwolters; Sep 09, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
I just bought one of these...I've been wanting a Mossy for a while and finally got a deal on one...Is it very acrobatic???...I expect my planes to easily loop from level flight...I plan on weathering my Mossy as well...Can't wait!!!...All I need is the UMX AS3X Spitty for a competent WWII RAF fighter group............

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene