HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:07 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
lol i always do ...... im always finding things when im out and about to use in the rc hobby wood, old furniture,lamps ud be amazed what parts you can use off of old everyday items im a roadside trash thief no doubt
I am a dumpster diver from way back. It irritates the heck out of me when I go in to the LHS and ask for a generic part like a 4x8x3mm bearing. I usually get the blank stare or "What is the part number?" or "What model does it go too?" Absolutely no imagination. Try to explain what you are trying to do and you get, "I dunno". I think, if I owned a hobby shop, I would, measure and catalog sizes and descriptions along with manufacturers part number. Put that stuff in the POS database so I could look for items by keywords. I find parts all the time on websites that look like I could use them but I have no idea what size they are...

...Sorry, you must have hit a nerve.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:47 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,860 Posts
Have you ever pulled apart an old PC? There are so many goodies inside them for RC like connectors, leds, wires, screws, ferrites, etc and theres a thread somewhere here that shows how to modify the power supply unit so you can use it with a battery charger.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:08 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,297 Posts
My grandad used to say there was money in s..t !!
I'm with you boys. I'm a hoarder from way back. The guys at my work change out switch mode supplies that range from
48 - 25 -12v at 14amps etc just because they are connected to a device that doesnt function. They bin them.
I have quite a collection now !!

SD things are getting warm over there again. Trust you are out of harms way
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:56 AM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
Have you ever pulled apart an old PC? There are so many goodies inside them for RC like connectors, leds, wires, screws, ferrites, etc and theres a thread somewhere here that shows how to modify the power supply unit so you can use it with a battery charger.
yep im on the lookout for a junked pc need a power supply lol
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:56 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
The PC power supplies are great for running a battery charger.

I also used 2 of them to power hot wires for cutting foam.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:58 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
the mini tri

heres a quick vid

mini tricopter video of it then onboard scratchbuilt (3 min 50 sec)
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:49 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
He he " quick " being the operative word. No wonder that guy got out the way in the beginning lol.
From the video that thing flies real good. Not sure if you were flying it or vice versa ha ha.
Excellent. You must be getting mad flight times from it ?
Thanks for the vid
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:01 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
He he " quick " being the operative word. No wonder that guy got out the way in the beginning lol.
From the video that thing flies real good. Not sure if you were flying it or vice versa ha ha.
Excellent. You must be getting mad flight times from it ?
Thanks for the vid
on a 2000mah 45c lipo around 12-15 minutes if i fly hard maybe 10 2200 or 2650 i have easy 15 min.honestly thats being conservative only have 100ft or so in any direction then have to dodge a wire tree house car hoop mailbox something but its a lot of fun
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:06 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,530 Posts
I was watching the video and holding on to my desk so I wouldn't fall from my chair..
Nice ride
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:37 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
I was watching the video and holding on to my desk so I wouldn't fall from my chair..
Nice ride
lol thanks
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:55 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
The PC power supplies are great for running a battery charger.

I also used 2 of them to power hot wires for cutting foam.
I tried that, followed all the directions, and the display blew out on my lipo charger. Could have been a coincidence. didnt want to risk it again.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:20 AM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
I tried that, followed all the directions, and the display blew out on my lipo charger. Could have been a coincidence. didnt want to risk it again.
I'm using one for my bench power and to power my battery charger. Works great. I think it is even worth getting a new one and not waiting on a dead PC. They are only about $15 and up online.

Mine did not have a power switch so I added one, but you can find them with a switch already on it. I have the OLD AT style that has -12v -5v GND 5V 12V and I installed banana sockets for each. And yes I get 24v across the -12v to the +12v. Newer ATX don't include the -5v and the current is very limited on the -12v.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:47 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,860 Posts
I dont understand why people spend big bucks on 12v power supplys for chargers when you can use a PC PSU. Its not that much work to convert them over and most people here would be pretty good with a soldering iron. I wire up 12v into 2 separate XT60 connectors, it can run both my chargers at the same time no problems.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
838 Posts
Hi guys just posting a video on Bluetooth if you are interested. Defintely worth the $9 that I paid from GoodLuckBuy
Connecting to MultiWii Flight Controller with a Crius Bluetooth Adapter (9 min 35 sec)
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:49 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Hi guys just posting a video on Bluetooth if you are interested. Defintely worth the $9 that I paid from GoodLuckBuy
http://youtu.be/SpudeoTwy4w
very cool addition.almost makes me want to learn wii boards instead of kk. well almost