HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Question
Compass Heading, Elevation etc

I have been a long time reader, but I have never really posted on the forum much. I am getting into drones and had a question for you all, hopefully you could help.

I currently have a Phantom Vision + and looking into getting the inspire 1. My budget is $10,000, and here is what I am wanting the drone to do, other than what the Phantom is capable of doing today.

Video and photo Readout of:
Compass heading
Elevation
GPS location

This video here shows what I need, any idea how this is accomplished:
Two Drone Cell Phone Tower Inspection with GPS and Heading Values (4 min 12 sec)

Mount Equipment to:
measure angles and size of objects
lasers for line of sight readings

Any help on suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
platinumpizza is online now Find More Posts by platinumpizza
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
666 Posts
An OSD is the common device for compass, GPS, etc. readout for quads.

However, I'm not sure how well this would work with DJI firmware (Or even if there's space for it on the board.)

Most of the stuff you'll find here isn't discussing DJI products or how you use them- not a lot of discussion of wifi video links, or how to use extra components with the DJI app. (Or whatever it is that connects your phone to the camera system.) You'd probably be better off asking for advice about this on a dedicated DJI forum.

I can't say I've ever heard of people mounting equipment on quads to measure the size of objects and other stuff- it sounds like you're trying to make your quad a fully functional surveying platform.

That's a very thorough inspection on the cell phone tower- did the company ask you to check out the array for them?
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
An OSD is the common device for compass, GPS, etc. readout for quads.

However, I'm not sure how well this would work with DJI firmware (Or even if there's space for it on the board.)

Most of the stuff you'll find here isn't discussing DJI products or how you use them- not a lot of discussion of wifi video links, or how to use extra components with the DJI app. (Or whatever it is that connects your phone to the camera system.) You'd probably be better off asking for advice about this on a dedicated DJI forum.

I can't say I've ever heard of people mounting equipment on quads to measure the size of objects and other stuff- it sounds like you're trying to make your quad a fully functional surveying platform.

That's a very thorough inspection on the cell phone tower- did the company ask you to check out the array for them?
I am tasked with researching what is out there. We are not married to DJI by any means. We are, or can look at other solutions--even building our own.

The OSD recommendation is a great piece of advice and helps us start out.

Thank you!
platinumpizza is online now Find More Posts by platinumpizza
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,785 Posts
I'm not familiar with what's inside the Phantom. But you may want to look into iOSD and see if there's a socket for it on the Phantom, it normally connects to the NAZA to display the hud.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 04:33 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,730 Posts
when you say elevation you mean altitude or tangent of altitude/distance ? Both numbers somewhat easy to output on MinimOSD

less crashes and more detail w/ zoom camera
HV power pole inspection using 1kg AUW quadcopter (5 min 38 sec)
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit