HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2014, 08:33 AM
Panama, Colon, Gamboa
Joined Nov 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Which Rx for the Telamon w/ carbon fuse?

Hello RC Group.
I am new here as of this post and appreciate what you all have built here.
I'm a retired Operating Engineer from Washington State, USA and a diehard RC glider builder / flyer, (mostly slope soaring) . I am now living in Panama, in front of the Panama Canal and like it here very much but there are no slopes here to speak of and I need to fly. Have decided that I must give in and start flying a powered glider although it goes" against my grain" and have just purchased a Telamon Electric Sailplane from Hobby King.
Just ordered it last night so haven't seen it yet but it looks to be a pretty good quality sailplane for the money. However, in the ad they state that you need to use a RX with a long antenna which needs to be mounted outside the fuse.
I understand that the antenna has to be outside of carbon fibre fuse but I have never seen a ( long ) 2.4 Ghz antenna. I have 72 Ghz gear as well and of course they have long antennae but would prefer to use 2.4 Ghz for obvious reasons.
Can someone with a Telamon please tell me what they suggest here ?
Thanks in advance
Fuzzy Fernandez is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzy Fernandez
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2014, 09:31 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,271 Posts
The antenna only needs to be a few inches long to get outside any fuselage.

You don't say what make radio you are using, but if you have never seen a long 2.4GHz antenna I am guessing Spektrum because many of their recievers only have the short 30mm antenna.
Most makes do longer antenna and even Spektrum does as well - see here:-
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR9310

Dick
dickw is online now Find More Posts by dickw
Old Nov 08, 2014, 01:05 PM
Panama, Colon, Gamboa
Joined Nov 2014
6 Posts
Thanks. I haven't received my 2.4Ghz radio gear yet, so can't say how long the antenna will be but I purchased a Walkera Devo 8.
How much of the antenna needs to be outside of the fuse ?
Old Nov 08, 2014, 04:06 PM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,271 Posts
With most systems only the last 31mm needs to be outside the carbon fuselage. That is the active tip of the antenna, the rest of it is just effectively a co-axial extension lead.

Dick
dickw is online now Find More Posts by dickw
Old Nov 08, 2014, 04:26 PM
Panama, Colon, Gamboa
Joined Nov 2014
6 Posts
That's exactly what I need to know. Thank you very much. Have a good day
Old Mar 14, 2015, 05:20 AM
Germany, BW, Eislingen
Joined Jun 2014
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Fernandez View Post
That's exactly what I need to know. Thank you very much. Have a good day
So this was a question I had as well just now as I found the Telamon on the HK homepage.

Before I go to order it, can one of you tell me how it flies and may show a video?
There is not one video on the youtube channel ???

Which battery are you using and how powerful is this warmliner?

Cheers
Wolfgang
ipscwolle is offline Find More Posts by ipscwolle