Doug ''Doctordug'' Steele
Joined Jun 2011
247 Posts
Discussion
Cooperlake Flying Club ''CFC''

33.852027,-84.535332.
4202 N. COOPER LAKE RD.
COOPER LAKE PARK.

Found it to be a really nice place to fly planes and obviously Heli's But it's not enough room for something real big. I met a few peeps out there today and even talked to a Smyrna Ranger.And said it was no problem flying there. Just got to remember it is a park and there are people that will unknowingly park in the landing area/parking lot. There is alot af grassy area for landing and looks to be smooth. It's not my discovery,But someone mentioned we should start a CFC club to group up meetings there. Rowdog had a pretty big nitro he was flying.And not to bad. And if you get hungry there is a community garden.j/k...
Its a great place to go to on my home from work so I may spend more time there than DFC untill sat/sunday. I'm sure you'll still find me there as much as possible.
I wonder if we can dedicate a grass landing area with the park attendant.Maybe to keep the grass shorter in a strip.May have to bribe someone for that.
Doctordug is offline Find More Posts by Doctordug
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:55 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
609 Posts
@Doctordug, just haul your mower over there in your truck next time - I doubt anyone would even notice. After all, it is a 'rogue' field.

Nice meeting you guys out there last night.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
247 Posts
No mower.I lived in apartments forever. Good meeting you too Jeff.I got a bunch of side work going,so It may be a minute before I can get back out.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:27 PM
United States, GA, Austell
Joined Oct 2006
145 Posts
Doug I just wanted to post this here. I posted this same thing in the other forum

I will be out today with my caliber 30 around 6:30,
rowdog_14 is offline Find More Posts by rowdog_14
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
247 Posts
no fly today. will fri
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
609 Posts
@Rowdog_14 had another interested pilot show up after you left last night. When can we start charging dues?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined Oct 2006
145 Posts
you are silly...was he already flying or just coming out to check out things?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
609 Posts
He was scoping out the place, didn't have any aircraft with him yet but he said he'd be back. He was concerned that flying was not allowed there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
247 Posts
Anyone going over the weekend.Im wondering what kind of crowd the park draws in. Im definetly going to explore grass landins out there.My ''32 planes don't like the grass but my PZ corsair does and I want to see if my P51 likes grass.It may be too big for that area.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
247 Posts
What do you think about having a designated landing area on the pavement and in grass? That way someone wouldnt accidently park in a landing area.Especially once your in the air. I get that at DFC.Almost every eve before it gets dark there's a really old lady that has a roller/walker and she paces up and down the street.And sometimes crosses the road right in front of me while I'm getting low on battery.She's allways smilling and watching it.But i can't ask her to move.I just pray the battery holds up till she's clear.I had to drop it right beside her one day.A real test to your ability. One laidy jumped out with her 2 kids 2 weeks ago.so they could watch.She parks in the middle of the road and gets out to watch too.I missed her by about a foot to spare when i landedMy wing clipped her tire.I just want to say something.But I figure if their stupid enough to let their kids out and stand there,she wouldn't understand anything I tell her.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:56 AM
Joined Aug 2011
609 Posts
I get what you're saying but I don't feel we have the right to ask anyone to do anything. Well have a better chance at maintaining our right to fly there if we find ways to adapt.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
Joined Oct 2006
145 Posts
Yeah that is not an actual flying area, so anyone could tell us to leave(park sercurity, the people at the gardens, or people that live close by) If it was an official AMA field we would have the right to do anything but, visitors have priority over us because it is a public park.

As far as the weekends I really do not think it will be that busy. Other than the garden area might.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
247 Posts
I get what your saying.I am going to go for some grass landings.Its does great on soccer field grass .but the grass there is a bit differnet.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
609 Posts
I noticed that on the far side down the hill the grass is in much better shape. You could try landing there perhaps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2006
145 Posts
Yeah the grass there has a lot of rocks in it. I tried landing my trainer there and it landed fine but about 25 feet after landing it hit a rock and tiped over.