HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:18 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Feb 2014
13 Posts
Ran the 11x8 prop on my last set up-stock motor and a 40amp esc. New setup=stock motor and 30 amp esc. Both set ups have an aluminum spinner. Should I use a 10x8 graupner or do you think the 11x8 graupner will be ok with the 30 amp esc. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I do not have a watt meter. Thanks in advance. Ps. I am running 2200mah 30C batteries.
Skydriver60 is offline Find More Posts by Skydriver60
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:34 PM
Flys Like A Brick
Washington, MI
Joined Nov 2010
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydriver60 View Post
Ran the 11x8 prop on my last set up-stock motor and a 40amp esc. New setup=stock motor and 30 amp esc. Both set ups have an aluminum spinner. Should I use a 10x8 graupner or do you think the 11x8 graupner will be ok with the 30 amp esc. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I do not have a watt meter. Thanks in advance. Ps. I am running 2200mah 30C batteries.
First thing, plan on getting a watt meter. HK has them and they can be inexpensive. Can save you the cost many times over.

From what I have read you may be over the limit for the 30 amp with the 11x8. Stick with the 10x8 for now, then Check it with your new watt meter.
Bob_B is online now Find More Posts by Bob_B
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:44 PM
Joined Feb 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
First thing, plan on getting a watt meter. HK has them and they can be inexpensive. Can save you the cost many times over.

From what I have read you may be over the limit for the 30 amp with the 11x8. Stick with the 10x8 for now, then Check it with your new watt meter.
Thanks for the quick reply Bob, I am just getting ready to go soar and put the 10x8 on. Will order a watt meter when I get home.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 04:24 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,952 Posts
Quote:
I draw between 17 and 18 amps with the stock prop, and also the 10x8 and 11x6. I would have thought the larger props would draw more than the stock one. They seem to have more thrust so maybe that means they are more efficient. I don't have an 11x8.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:12 PM
Rookie plane pilot
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
395 Posts
Just ordered a watt meter. I have some 11 x 8 props and a couple 10 x 8 props along with a new spinner.

What do you do, just hook up watt meter in-line with battery and run it up to full throttle while holding model to check how many watts it is running? Seems like it would run less in the air at full throttle as it is moving and not fighting against your hand.
BWX_ is online now Find More Posts by BWX_
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:19 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,361 Posts
You're correct that the static power consumption is likely to be greater than the dynamic (in flight) power. That of course makes it a pretty safe way to test your prop choice.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:26 PM
Rookie plane pilot
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
You're correct that the static power consumption is likely to be greater than the dynamic (in flight) power. That of course makes it a pretty safe way to test your prop choice.
Oh yeah because you'd never go over that in real flight (unless you're full throttle in a bush or tree, LOL)
BWX_ is online now Find More Posts by BWX_
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:34 PM
United States, NJ, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Funny you should mention that particular ESC. I just inherited one this morning. My buddy totaled his Stearman PT17 and gave the debris to me, and it has that exact same ESC. It's a heavy mo at 52 grams. Were you using the stock ESC and prop? I don't understand how putting a 40 amp ESC in this plane could help the performance unless there was something wrong with the other one.
I dont know how but there is a noticeable difference in climb speed. I am using the stock prop and a aluminum spinner from headsuphobby.
mactek is offline Find More Posts by mactek
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:47 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
589 Posts
Typically, oversizing the ESC should not make more than 1% difference in output power.
FabFlight is online now Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:50 PM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
594 Posts
Timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFlight View Post
Typically, oversizing the ESC should not make more than 1% difference in output power.
Unless there is a significant timing difference between the two ESCs.

Fly safe, Glover
glover is online now Find More Posts by glover
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
55 Posts
Hello everyone.

I have the full size radian as well as the micro radian. I love both. The big radian is almost too big for my flying space and the micro leaves me wanting one size bigger.

Can anyone recommend a 3 channel glider that is as forgiving as the radian?

(that falls in between the micro and full size radian?

I've only found the Cox sky cruiser so far.

Thanks!
deathcharge is offline Find More Posts by deathcharge
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
223 Posts
Quote:
This will help. The basic program is free but for a few bucks he has many motors, esc's, props etc listed.
http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php?ecalc&lang=en
Willyspu is online now Find More Posts by Willyspu
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2013
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcharge View Post
Hello everyone.

I have the full size radian as well as the micro radian. I love both. The big radian is almost too big for my flying space and the micro leaves me wanting one size bigger.

Thanks!
AXN Floater (aka Clouds Fly) would more or less fit that description. It's 1100mm. Actually a 4-channel but will fly 3-channel (the ailerons are pretty ineffective and the rudder alone will give it enough roll for a turn). Very forgiving. There's also the Bixler - 1500mm (the Bix 2 at least, don't know the others), 4-channel but easy to fly. Or if you wanted a challenge you could go to the Mini Spirit (800mm 4-channel sports glider - not a floater) or Super Kinetic (cheaper version of the Mini Spirit but prone to falling apart).
CelloGuy is online now Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Joined Feb 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyspu View Post
This will help. The basic program is free but for a few bucks he has many motors, esc's, props etc listed.
http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php?ecalc&lang=en
Thanks Willyspu, checked out e-calc and the results seemed to be in the ballpark. Thanks for the link. I had played with an older version of e-calc, this one is much more detailed.
I do not as yet compete in ALES, so I guess I really have no need to run the 11x8 prop. I started flying the Radian about a year ago and my LHS set me up with 11x8 and 40 amp esc. It's all I've ever flown with on the Radian. I used the 10x8 for two days now and it is plenty fast and easier on the battery with 3 more climbs to 150 to 250 meters per battery, eleven to 12 climbs per 2200 mah 30c battery. Think I will stick with it, plane is easier to control on climb also.
Old Today, 08:52 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcharge View Post
Hello everyone.

Thanks!
The size of the glider should not be that critical.

Tell us about your flying space. How much open area? How wide and how long.

If the wind is in the right direction I can easily fly a Radian in the space of a football field. I can, but perhaps not you.

I could fly it in the space of a single baseball field if the wind is in the right direction.

But if you want something in between I would suggest something like the Easy Star.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBVCR&P=ML
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Today at 09:09 AM.