HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
The Bahamas, City of Freeport, Freeport
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Hey Folks,
Just been browsing the site and joined, looks like the place to be, hello to all.
This weekend a friend of mine gave me two Axe CPv3 with tons of spare parts. He said he going back to his planes....needless to say I was very happy, except that the Heli doesn't fly..believe it is a problem with the 3n1 board.

The unit is fully charged / all four batteries / lucky me !
All servos function and move well, the gyro goes through it stabilization bit and then green has a green light, but main motor doesn't turn. Tried the spare 5 channel controller and the main motor off of the other Heli.....same thing, motor will act like it is going to move and does so sporadically...like a bad connection (which I have checked) or bad ESC...

So here is what I would like your expert advice on.
1. what ESC / Gyro combination should I put in Heli-Max CPv3 that will still work with the stock 5 channel receiver and not increase MAUW to drastically.

2. do I have to change out the servos, I have like 3 spare of each one.....

3. can I cost consciously add the required components now so it will fly, while keeping in mind the BLDC motors / LiPo batteries in the future.

4. any recommendations or links appreciated, ebay has the stock E board CP for $84.99 so thats my budget range.

Thanks, looking forward to becoming a Heli flyer
Bahamas Michael
Bahamas Michael is offline Find More Posts by Bahamas Michael
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
Sold my two. Still have some parts left i think....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:13 AM
The Bahamas, City of Freeport, Freeport
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
rrg, do you have any e boards?
Bahamas Michael is offline Find More Posts by Bahamas Michael
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:27 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamas Michael View Post
BM,

You may want to consider replacing the e-board with a couple new brushed speed controllers and a gyro. Will take a little tinkering if you are up to the light task, but will work much better and will be cheaper too.

That is what I did when mine blew as could not justify paying the amount they want for that unit. Fortunately I had the ESC's in my parts bin, but they are pretty inexpensive to buy.

Marko
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamas Michael View Post
Sorry man but no i dont.....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:34 PM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
925 Posts
Well after a few flights, I have to say that the little Axe CP is growing on me. The head seems to be loosening up, and the stability is improving - especially when out of the rotor wash ground affect. It's all stock, but I did clean-up the wiring a little and ditched the foam pad and zip ties for the control board and went with some RTV silicone to mount.

She gets around OK outside, but she's no power house. Don't get me wrong - she has plenty of power to tool-around and do a few little tricks, but I say this because any wind over 10mph can potentially sweep her away before you know it.

The main plastic mast seems a little curved and causes a little wobble as seen at the top head button, but thankfully it straightens out at the blades. A replacement mast showed the same defect.

I do not reccommend this heli for a beginner because the tail is a little loose and can be a distraction for them, but for an intermediate pilot, it's sufficient and actually is quite fun to fly in a park-flyer sense.

The manual warns against spending too much time dialing in the gyro and I agree. There's not much adjustability, but a little tinkering has allowed me to get a somewhat consistent response from beginning to end. But the occasional tail kick is unavoidable.

Where this bird finds it's place is for those learning to get more comfortable with normal and inverted flight, but don't want to risk the TREX 450.

Parts are plentiful too, as the V4 shares many of the same parts with its predecessor and almost any local hobby store will have a few bits laying around.

IMHO this bird is ment to stay cheap and as-is. Upgrading is not at all cost effective - cause by the time you add it up, you could get yourself something with a nicer plateform in the heli classifieds. And what they want for the factory metal upgrades is absolutely rediculous. MicroHeli does however still make an all metal top-end for about $150 for those who are interested - but I won't be getting them...ha.
FNFAL is offline Find More Posts by FNFAL
Last edited by FNFAL; Mar 04, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:43 PM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
925 Posts
Well, after a handful of flights, for no reason, the 2.4ghz radio system is no longer working. It appears to be either the Rx or the TX. And while the TX LED light does come on most times when the switch is turned on, the Rx LED does not at all. Either way, it's hard to tell.

I've got two emails into Hobbico/Heli-Max but no answer yet. I'm toying with the idea of using a futaba R6106HF.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:27 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,053 Posts
maybe the Rx lost its bind. there should be a procedure to rebind it in the manual
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
925 Posts
Thanks, I kinda suspected that too. Upon seeing your post, indeed the rx has some sort of bind button. There is no mention of it in the manual and it's not marked as such. When I push it, and go through what I find is a normal bind proceedure for other makes, it just flashes red at me...hmm..

Rx and TX sent off to inspection & repair per Lennie.
Last edited by FNFAL; Mar 16, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
925 Posts
While the stock radio is being fixed (Hobbico was nice enough to send me email confirm of receipt), I decided to use a Futaba. Initial results are very positive.

Although the new 2.4 is glitch free and is satisfactory when it's working, I find the Futaba upgrade wonderful. Now the servos has much more resolution, are not notchy, and input delay is greatly reduced.

All this adds up to significantly more precision when flying in tight quarters like indoors. The tail gyro is still a little nervous, but now that I don't have to anticipate my next cyclic correction, I have more focus on things like the tail.

SO, if you have a spare rx laying around, you may want to try it out too.

UPDATE: OK, now the gyro driver is screwy. It runs full-blast all the time. Just started with no reason. So now I got to send the board back too. Ugh!
Last edited by FNFAL; Mar 24, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
AMA 988154
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Replacement Lipo Battery

Hi All: This is my first post on AXE CP thread. I am awaiting delivery of the AXE and was wondering what batteries are being used to replace the supplied lipo? I would like to use one with a higher C rating. I think the stock battery is C15 not sure?

I look forward to future posts. The AXE CP is my first CP heli, been flying a Hirobo Quark SRB.
k4pacific is online now Find More Posts by k4pacific
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:10 AM
"If it ain't broke,fly again"
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
UPDATE: OK, now the gyro driver is screwy. It runs full-blast all the time. Just started with no reason. So now I got to send the board back too. Ugh!
Why don't you just replace it with either the blade cp pro 2, 2 in 1 and use a separate gyro. The blade SR 2 in 1 works too.

douglas
douglas4 is offline Find More Posts by douglas4
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:26 PM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
925 Posts
That's a good idea. Will explore it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
Why don't you just replace it with either the blade cp pro 2, 2 in 1 and use a separate gyro. The blade SR 2 in 1 works too.

douglas
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, GA, Kathleen
Joined Dec 2007
338 Posts
I have not posted anything in this forum for years, but I had to chime in. I learned to fly helis using the old Helimax CP-L (the L stood for Lipo). In the old CP-L manual, which I have attached, it describes how to install a separate gyro (the Futaba GY240), and a separate tail motor ESC in place of the ones on "e board" of the AXE. I later actually removed all the original Helimax electronics, both the eboard and the receiver, and put in a Spektrum receiver and a separate Great Planes ESC for the main motor. It actually flew much better with the changes and I flew the AXE for several years with these modifications. I still have it, though I pulled out the receiver for another project. I also later replaced the GY240 (which I needed for another helicopter) with a Telebee gyro and later and Eflite gyro. I don't know how much difference there is between my old Axe and the new one, but the attached manual may help you figure out what to do on the new AXE CP.

johrich
johrich is offline Find More Posts by johrich
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:24 PM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
925 Posts
Thanks. I'm not sure why HeliMax removed this info from the current version. Perhaps they think it's all better now. But clearly with my most recent experience, it's a valuable another option.