HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
200 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger Whisper

Anyone know anything about this glider?
I had a quick search round on here but it didn't turn up much.

I've found one on sale and it included a mini histart, so I snaffled it up as my first proper glider...
Stu L is online now Find More Posts by Stu L
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:30 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,575 Posts
"snaffled"...... another fun British word for me to use. Thanks Stu!

Sorry that I haven't any of the info you're looking for.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:39 AM
Joined Nov 2012
200 Posts
Anytime

snaffle
ˈBritish - informal
past tense: snaffled; past participle: snaffled
take (something) for oneself, typically quickly or without permission.
"shall we snaffle some of Bernard's sherry?"

Well, if this is a rare bird, I'll try get some pics up.

*Oh, and I was using snaffled with regard to buying it quickly - I did pay for her
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
200 Posts

Box says RTF, but this one needs radio, battery adding etc. Plus a little assembly...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:24 PM
Joined Nov 2012
200 Posts
So lots of excitement for my first proper glider. I thought I'd post some pictures and a few comments, but nothing in depth - I'm not experienced enough to.

First impressions are good. You get the fuse mostly built, just requiring the horizontal stab to be attached and the wing in two halves that needs a bit of work.

I really didn't find the instructions clear, but first up you need to slice into the prebuilt and covered wing. I won't lie, this terrified me. If you've never built a wing and get one pre-made and are told to cut into it... it's very scary.

Anyway, you can hold each section up to the light to see where the two sections of the wing are joined, then slice down the middle of the wing covering on the top side only:

Having made a cut, there's a little wedge of balsa that you need to dig out of the wing. It's sat between the two wing halves and is keeping the wing flat. With it out the way, you can bend the wing to add dihedral. Here it is peeking out:

Then you pour glue into the gap, bend the end up and let it set. Ta-da dihedral:

Honestly, I don't know if this is a common method to assemble a wing on something that's RTF (ish)? It doesn't seem a great method as it's hard to know where to slice and then you end up with lots of covering loose on the top of the wing.....

Then assemble the tail, doodles the dog helping at this point:

Having glued that on, I noticed there's a twist in the vertical stab. Bit annoyed as that part comes pre-built. I don't know how you'd fix that, so I guess I'll just fly it as is and hope I can trim it out:

Then some electrics to mount and we're all set. Servo's come pre-installed and I was pleasantly surprised to see two Hitec servo's in a kit this cheap. They're probably absolute bottom end Hitec, but I was expecting something unbranded. There's tons of room inside to mount everything.

One thing to note if you buy this plane - it's advertised as requiring Tx/Rx, batteries and battery holder. I ordered a 6v pack to power my receiver, but it actually comes with a battery holder for 4x AA's wired into the fuselage. There's an on/ off switch on the outside too.
One thing I'm not keen on is the canopy is held on with a phillips screw - I have no idea how long a battery pack will last, but if you're doing a lot of flying, or if you decide not to use the built in battery holder as I have, you'll be taking the screw in and out all the time to turn the glider on and off and to recharge your packs. The screw just goes into balsa, so if anyone has any tips on how to modify that so that I don't wear the balsa out, I'd love to hear them.

There we are, finished glider!
I just need the wind to die down and the rain to stop and I'll go see how she flies.

All in all, not bad for 44.

Ace hobby kindly supply the manual here, should it be needed :
http://www.acehobby.com/manuals/plan...erEPManual.pdf

Cheers guys
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:37 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
591 Posts
I just ordered one, 'clearance special' too. Almost half price.

I got the EP version with a 400? motor.

Looking to set it up for FPV/OSD use in place of my Bixler.

Not sure how that will work out.

How is the quality of the finish ? Covering etc.

When I pulled the trigger I thought it was a ABS or plastic fuse. A bit pee'd off to find after that it is a balsa box !
BieneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by BieneFlyer
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:16 AM
Joined Nov 2012
200 Posts
Fpv eh?

Should be interesting, you'll have to update us with how it goes.

Difficult for me to comment on the finish as Ive only had foamies before (inc a bix), but I'd say its fairly good. There's no wrinkles in the covering.

I have a slightly wonky stab as mentioned above, but not too bad.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:15 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
591 Posts
Yes, might be a tad small to carry a camera/tx etc. I'll see what can be done when it arrives.

But at half price I couldn't resist anyway. Looks a lot like a little Graupner I had years ago.

Shame the fuse is balsa.

Have you flown her yet ?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2012
200 Posts
Yes, I've taken it out twice. Both days were quite windy, which made for some interesting histarts, but all went really well.
The whisper wants to glide forever and is very relaxing compared with my other parkflyers.
I needed a touch of trim thanks to that stab, but its ok. Cg was spot on using a 6v battery pack right up front.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:49 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
591 Posts
Good to hear Stu,

Look forward to getting mine.