Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aae55555 View Post
Yep! Was concentrating on the footage rather than the flying and even that didn't come out great :P It's not a park as such and usually this spot is empty, but there was a function or something on today.. Anyways I drove to the end of this open space and was flying around there. definitely made me re-evalutate flying anywhere close to people And also I won't be getting the GoPro gimbal or at least using it as soon as I wanted to Especially since the GoPro is naked on these gimbals!

Here's the crash vid since it was requested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1rTw...ature=youtu.be

Don't be too harsh on me

When things are not going as expected... STOP and hover in GPS mode.
Give it a little stick to see which directing it goes and get your orientation back.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:08 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad54 View Post
Nice move. but where is the car you were chasing?
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:20 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada View Post
Anyone have an idea when the new DJI landing gear will show up?
Good Question....I think the guys in here will have 3D printed legs before DJI puts them out, one guy ( Kyle) is already testing them out on his f550, there is a video and they good. This guy actually looked at the picture DJI released and duplicated them in a matter of hours,,,I did compliment the guy for his skill and talent to be able to do that, I wish DJI would release a "black" version..OH Well? I will try to purchase some when available or when a person offers up a 3D printed version, I like the weight & the look.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:43 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Apr 2013
288 Posts
Good eye sight HGT
Quad54 is offline Find More Posts by Quad54
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:28 PM
AMA member since May 2013
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined May 2013
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
@HighGainTuning

Although your posts are showing up, I cannot reply with a quote because you have "violated forum rules".

??????? Seems rather a weird response!

@everyone - whatever happened to sense of humor around here?
It seems to me that there was a disconnect between those who think themselves "old pros" and those who are "new". A lot of bashing going on here and some other forums for what might be considered learning situations. Teachers need to teach, not bash or chastise the ignorant. It is a huge multirotor world out there and these machines are very attractive to those who would never fly helicopters or fixed wing or have any experience with R/C prior to buying their Phantom.
So, when the pros come down hard on the newbies, it looks like a flame war and people get defensive. Not everyone here has 10 years of R/C flying behind them, some don't have 10 hours.
While some thought it cute, others take offense at plastic figures making universal obscene gestures. I personally could care less.
Supreme Balloon is online now Find More Posts by Supreme Balloon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FLY to KML utility
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:51 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jun 2013
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Balloon View Post
It seems to me that there was a disconnect between those who think themselves "old pros" and those who are "new". A lot of bashing going on here and some other forums for what might be considered learning situations. Teachers need to teach, not bash or chastise the ignorant. It is a huge multirotor world out there and these machines are very attractive to those who would never fly helicopters or fixed wing or have any experience with R/C prior to buying their Phantom.
So, when the pros come down hard on the newbies, it looks like a flame war and people get defensive. Not everyone here has 10 years of R/C flying behind them, some don't have 10 hours.
While some thought it cute, others take offense at plastic figures making universal obscene gestures. I personally could care less.

(A ) FREAKING MAN!!!

You said it 10000% correct! its sad but so true!

Thank you thank you for stating the Freaking Truth! Supreme Balloon!!!
photoboi is offline Find More Posts by photoboi
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:15 AM
United States, ID, Pocatello
Joined Apr 2013
456 Posts
Quote:
Yep! Was concentrating on the footage rather than the flying and even that didn't come out great :P It's not a park as such and usually this spot is empty, but there was a function or something on today.. Anyways I drove to the end of this open space and was flying around there. definitely made me re-evalutate flying anywhere close to people And also I won't be getting the GoPro gimbal or at least using it as soon as I wanted to Especially since the GoPro is naked on these gimbals!

Don't be too harsh on me
Buy a wltoys v222 / v959, and practice with it, there a lot of fun too. Best to learn on something cheap, and cant do much harm, plus its got a cam.
And highgains right, throw it in gps and stop, you can also use home lock and bring it back to you if you cant figure out orientation.
Good luck
_Milo_ is online now Find More Posts by _Milo_
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:17 AM
It got away...
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2013
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Milo_ View Post
Buy a wltoys v222 / v959, and practice with it, there a lot of fun too. Best to learn on something cheap, and cant do much harm, plus its got a cam.
And highgains right, throw it in gps and stop, you can also use home lock and bring it back to you if you cant figure out orientation.
Good luck
I may add v959 is a superior micro quad! Thing can handle anything you throw at it!!

@ae thanks for sharing crash video!
Number2 is offline Find More Posts by Number2
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:20 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number2 View Post
@ Oliver way to fly it over that lake, there was a lot of speed it seemed on that last take! Another really beautiful place also, thanks for sharing!!
Thanks, got much more to come !

This speed thing happened many time this day, because GPS reception was not good, and with this firmware the FF speed difference is huge between ATT and GPS, I don't think it was that much before, but cannot be sure. When the GPS lock goes from 2 red blinks to 3, thats like "ENGAGE TURBO MODE !!!" and the quad is rushing forward, can hear the raging sound even if its far.

Quote:

Don't be too harsh on me
Some are a bit harsh on you, I don't see what's wrong there, that's an open space, people and cars are far enough, sh*t happen, damn these trees.

I myself fly over people, sometime, usually I try to avoid it, but it happens, I fly over my boys when they're with me, they know the drill, never touching the damn thing, when there's bystanders watching close I always tell them that's normally not dangerous but you keep an eye on it, and if it comes at you you don't ever touch it, you dodge, thats all. When there's not much space I ask watchers to stay near/behind me so I know where everyone is at all time. The only person I fly very near is me.

Anyway, our copters are among the most dangerous RC I've piloted so far (maybe only second to single rotors ?) because these are heavy enough and got fast spining props and we can fly it close to us/people. Just have to be responsible and prepared, I know I will not hesitate a single second to smash this 1000€ piece of hardware into the ground to avoid hitting someone, not a single millisecond.

As soon as I take off, priorities are, by order :

- Safety of the kids
- Safety of the adults
- Safety of property
- Integrity of the quad

Of course some will argue there's always the risk of a loss of control, the dreaded fly away, the copter doing its own thing uncontrolled, but this is as likely to happen if you pilot for real than if you're just hovering a flying radio tower in your backyard... And when things go wrong, it's much safer if you can fly it.

About the naked Gopro, I agree with you, the fact that there's still no Gopro casing compatible gimbal is puzzling, this tech still got a looong way to go.

Everytime I see an unprotected GP3 black in the air, I tell myself than Woodman (Gopro boss) will continue to make tons of money for many many years to come
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jul 14, 2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 04:24 AM
Joined Jul 2013
520 Posts
Thank for the comments and advice guys Indeed HGT pointed out the RC car I was attempting to chase. Unfortunately it didn't come out as planned. I should have had my LEDs on it may have helped me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
When things are not going as expected... STOP and hover in GPS mode.
Give it a little stick to see which directing it goes and get your orientation back.
Unfortunately I was in Atti mode not GPS mode and I've noticed it drifts more in this mode when I stop giving input (perhaps more in the new firmware update) but I'm sure that is because it's not in GPS mode so it's not locking itself into GPS co-ords.

So when I was going towards the tree I panicked and tried to correct it as I knew that if I let go of the sticks it would still carry on going into the tree as it wasn't in GPS. Unfortunately in attempting to correct it I made it even worse

Will definitely learn from this guess that's the all part of a hobby! Learning the hard way..
ariZedA is online now Find More Posts by ariZedA
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:39 AM
Unregulated User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
812 Posts
Someone had asked about operating their lights with the TX, here's a look at how I set mine up using turnigy receiver controlled switches. You need to have some free channels available on your receiver of course.

F450-024 (1 min 50 sec)
Sac D is online now Find More Posts by Sac D
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:32 AM
Joined Mar 2013
66 Posts
Just an observation for anyone attaching aluminum arm extenders to the Dji arms. In a hard crash, the extenders will bend, cushioning the impact and saving the arms. That's ironic though, since an extender costs more than twice as much as an arm.

When installing the extenders, don't over tighten them or they'll be a bitch to remove. The screw heads can strip and then need filing on the sides to let pliers get a grip.

I fixed my F450 but something vibrates and one esc is running way hot. Today I need to remove the top plate and find out what's going on, looking at every motor and esc individually. I would have flown it this morning if I hadn't discovered that one hot esc. Seems most of us spend more time tweaking and fussing with our craft than flying.

- Rob
RobertsUp is offline Find More Posts by RobertsUp
Last edited by RobertsUp; Jul 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Joined Sep 2004
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTague View Post
Hmmm...let's see:

Noob pilot (self proclaimed) + unfamiliar with controls + concentrating on chasing RC car instead of flying + flying in public place + got scared & mashed on the gas = crash into tree.

I'd say you got off lucky. Trees are much more forgiving than innocent bystanders!
Blame 3.12, it's easier.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Joined Sep 2004
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Balloon View Post
It seems to me that there was a disconnect between those who think themselves "old pros" and those who are "new". A lot of bashing going on here and some other forums for what might be considered learning situations. Teachers need to teach, not bash or chastise the ignorant.
I (mostly) agree.

I have little patience with people coming to the forum asking a question that is clearly answered in the manual, or has been previously answered a dozen times.

Or with people blaming hardware for what is builder and/or pilot error.

The entire BNF attitude doesn't work when assembling a complex machine with parts from several vendors, mixing FC, ESCs and motors from different vendors, running FPV or WiFi systems in close proximity to receivers and GPS antennas, locating magnetometers near wiring or motors, etc.

Just because it flew OK a dozen times doesn't mean a self-induced problem won't bite you on the 13th attempt.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:04 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
I (mostly) agree.

I have little patience with people coming to the forum asking a question that is clearly answered in the manual, or has been previously answered a dozen times.

Or with people blaming hardware for what is builder and/or pilot error.

The entire BNF attitude doesn't work when assembling a complex machine with parts from several vendors, mixing FC, ESCs and motors from different vendors, running FPV or WiFi systems in close proximity to receivers and GPS antennas, locating magnetometers near wiring or motors, etc.

Just because it flew OK a dozen times doesn't mean a self-induced problem won't bite you on the 13th attempt.
The thing I really dont understand is that half of the posts that are pointing to problems in here could have been solved with a simple Google Search. Also there is search tool at the top of this Forum that looks through hundred's of pages and finds what your looking for that people totally ignore. Like, kallend said, these posts with problems are not just duplicates, they have been asked dozens of times or it's in the manual but still people post. These types of posts Wears members thin after a while and the posts start getting aggressive. Perfectly uderstandable.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK