HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:17 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Suggestion for newbie

I've checked the start here thread. I've browser through a few pages, checked Mike's Subworks, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Are there any pre-made working/complete RC subs you can buy that are worth the money (or at least work fairly well?). I've found lots of information on parts, builds, but since I don't even own a RC vehicle I figured I'd start with something that works just to get my feet wet. I've always had a love for subs and it's exciting to see so many amazing builds. I just don't have a lot of confidence I could pull off such a build just yet.

If someone can direct me to a place where you can check out some ready to go RC submarines that would be awesome. If I've missed some obvious links in the
"start here" thread my apologies. =)
sigfawn is offline Find More Posts by sigfawn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:54 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
currently, there is only one RTR submarine available in the US that is worth buying.

get the thunder tiger neptune:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRYK1&P=ML

or

http://mikessubworks.com/neptune.html

it has its quirks, but it works fine out of the box, and is complete, except for AA batteries for the transmitter. there are threads here on RCGroups.com about it, with tips and upgrades.

more importantly, it functions just like the "big boys" and will teach you everything you need to know if you wish to stay in the hobby.
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Wow that thing is nice! Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for!
sigfawn is offline Find More Posts by sigfawn
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:21 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
626 Posts
Hi,

You can also take a look at this Sub from Engel, it's also an almost ready to run kit.

http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalo...hp?cPath=3_225

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfawn View Post
Wow that thing is nice! Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for!
I just bought a Tiger Neptune as my first submarine. The lakes are frozen where I live, so it may be a while before I am able to take it out. From everything I have read, it did seem like the best starting point. You can even get a camera system for it, and there are upgrades avaliable. Anyways, I wish you luck with making your decision!
mikethenerd2 is offline Find More Posts by mikethenerd2
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:47 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
Hey Mike, where are you located? there are several sub groups around the country and some of us are lucky enough to have access to indoor pools once in a while.
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
25 Posts
The TT Neptune is a log in the water, you'll be bored silly with the hobby in a week.

Worse it looks like a ten year old's toy! Maybe ok in a private lake, but I wouldn't be seen in public with it. Best thing to do with that is cut your losses = E B A Y!
thunderguts is offline Find More Posts by thunderguts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
432 Posts
I do not agree with Thunderguts. I would have no problem being seen with it. Learn from it and then if you are bored, you can sell it. It is a great way to get started in subs!
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,743 Posts
I don't agree with thunderguts opinion either. At the last few SubRegattas in Carmel, IN there were several TT NEPTUNES there. Most are owned by experienced sub builders/drivers, and the NEPTUNES are painted in other colors.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
Hey Mike, where are you located? there are several sub groups around the country and some of us are lucky enough to have access to indoor pools once in a while.
I'm up the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so I doubt there is a group close to here, or much unfrozen water for that matter But thanks for asking!

I'm not too worried about getting bored with the Tiger Neptune! I plan on building a scale naval submarine at some point which will certainly fun...but I like the fact that the Neptune is just a yellow submarine (may change the color at some point though) that is fully functional and can upgraded with a camera and lights. I'm probably less worried about losing it (which means I will run it more) because I haven't invested any time in building it. Call me crazy, but I actually like the look the Neptune....
mikethenerd2 is offline Find More Posts by mikethenerd2