HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Discussion
wiggle drive propulsion

Hi, i was looking at using the wiggle drive for a surfboard application - whereby two fins could be oscillating and a system will be in place to lock the fins in initial position once desired speed is achieved.

I am a final year mechanical engineering student, I am wondering which principle is used for the following: (ill try my best to explain)

The two fins will be Vertically mounted, they will flap from left to right and the pitch will be around +- 15 degrees.

It will be running off the same idea as this video

Swashdrive™ Fin propulsion 2 (1 min 21 sec)
SudorracMechEng is offline Find More Posts by SudorracMechEng
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 12:29 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Interesting, but is there any mechanical advantage to this over a propeller?
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old May 07, 2012, 12:43 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
Impressive to see that kind of speed out of a couple of fins. As for seeing it before ..... nope.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old May 07, 2012, 02:01 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,574 Posts
Interesting idea but a lot more moving parts to break than a shaft and prop.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old May 07, 2012, 02:37 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,240 Posts
High speed sculling... exceptional engineering.

I can see where that might be applied to an RC or robotic squid.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 07, 2012, 02:43 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,953 Posts
Hobie uses that system in the their pedal powered kayak. The flippers only move in one axis and rely on thier flexing to provide the thrust. I would guess they move through 80 degrees of motion. The video looks to have a very complex motion through multiple axis. One advantage of the Hobie system is that you can short stroke the fins at the end of their travel to traverse very shallow water.
Interesting, either way.

Dave

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 07, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,442 Posts
not to be negative but she does look like she could use a little trim, maybe lower the bow a little as she comes out of the hole. Neat idea though.....
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old May 07, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
35 Posts
I want one! where do I order..? looks like that boat has a hydrofoil on it too - might explain the erratic behavior.

On watching the first video it doesn't appear to be a hydrofoil - just a small fin.
Rhizome is offline Find More Posts by Rhizome
Last edited by Rhizome; May 07, 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old May 08, 2012, 01:50 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
Hobie uses that system in the their pedal powered kayak. The flippers only move in one axis and rely on thier flexing to provide the thrust. I would guess they move through 80 degrees of motion. The video looks to have a very complex motion through multiple axis. One advantage of the Hobie system is that you can short stroke the fins at the end of their travel to traverse very shallow water.
Interesting, either way.

Dave

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/
The Hobie Mirage drive is pretty ingenious and it takes a fairly small physical effort to get the boat cooking along, if you were hand paddling at the same speed, you'd be working your butt off...and the fins actually move through 180 degrees of motion.

I had to assemble and water test 20 of them for a project and they all worked great, you can adjust the height of the pedals and the length of throw, so a really short person or a really tall person can adjust the boat to suit their size.
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:30 AM
Mad on everything Swash
Joined Jan 2012
77 Posts
Heah Guys

thats my mad lil invention, it uses modified cranking swashplates to create the fin movement ,in fact the 2 fins cancel each others lateral forces, providing exceptional thrust. Its a similar motion to the hobie mirage but a totally different mechanism.
the question on bow up getting on the plane is because throttle feathering in required, to mush power at this point and she blows bubbles, it has a nature of more in fin surface speed more grip !
Happy to field any questions
regards
Craig
Swashdrive
Lil aus is offline Find More Posts by Lil aus
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:22 AM
Chuck
Arizona
Joined Jan 2008
147 Posts
Can it go in reverse, also???
fredspak is offline Find More Posts by fredspak
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,273 Posts
I wouldn't think so.
lil aus, any chance we can see what's inside? I'm really interested to see how you did it, wouldn't you need multiple swashes to move through all the axis?
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
Mad on everything Swash
Joined Jan 2012
77 Posts
Heah

Too set the record strait, this unit is a swashdrive, not a wiggle drive, that is another bloke Kjell doing a similar thing !

Yeah, sure does work in reverse, but i don't have a phase relay on the 3 phase motor, it would mean swapping 2 wires as you prob know, but yes the mechanism work backwards as well as forwards .

At first loading the video i was fairly reserved at showing any detail of working parts, but already some Orni guys soon figured it out, its now well & truly public and any chance of a Patent are gone, worthless anyway, doesn't stop china !

At first bearings may seem an issue, but if you after run with oil, or use a ceramic its not a problem.
Efficency of it is outstanding and a very weird beast, its almost backward to the way it drives, I never really thought it would work as well as it did, so i'm as surprised as you guys. I don't really want to give a % in Efficency, cause i don't want to fight with sceptical ones, fact is it works !.
This should show whats goin on, the technology is a Lill' complex at first, but there is enough info there someone could build it !
regards
Craig
Lil aus is offline Find More Posts by Lil aus
Last edited by Lil aus; Aug 17, 2012 at 05:42 PM.