HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:59 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
Espirit sells a 45mm Hub diameter 3-bladed Folding prop spinner that you can install some Graupner or other folding blades on...

i dynamically balance my folders pretty well (just like my heli blades) & it takes a lot to do right. I don't relish the idea of dynamically balancing a 3-bladed folder...

cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:39 AM
Russian Federation, Nizhegorodskaya oblast, Nizhny Novgorod
Joined Feb 2012
31 Posts
I again with the flights....
высота 750м. полет нормальный (1 min 9 sec)
nedz is offline Find More Posts by nedz
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,316 Posts
I use a 3-blade folding prop on my Scimitar. Not much advantage except to reduce the diameter an inch. And they are somewhat expensive. I may try it on the X8 one day but for now, the X works just fine as is.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
81 Posts
Who got airbrakes installed? Mind sharing a picture of how you mounted your servos for the airbrake? Also, great to have your measurements for the airbrake cut out.
frviana is offline Find More Posts by frviana
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Covering the X-8

Hi all!
Ive got many questions about covering of the X-8 after i put up some pictures in this thread of my covered X-8.
I baught the Pre-covered version but they were kind enough to send some spare vinyl with my X-8, so i know what they use for covering.
The vinyl brand is "TR-1" and is available on E-bay, just search for "TR1 carbon"
The vinyl is very easy to apply when adding some heat from hairdryer or heat gun (but be careful not to melt the foam). When applying some heat the vinyl will follow the shape of the body very nice and gives some protection to the foam.
R.Grimm is online now Find More Posts by R.Grimm
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
South Africa, WC, Vredendal
Joined Sep 2008
114 Posts
Thanks for the info on the carbon. I bought 2 different types of carbon on Ebay.
The 1 was cheap & VERY bad quality & it's very thin - also made lots of bubbles. Here it is.

The next was very good quality, much thicker & very nice to work with - no bubbles! Here it is.

Did you use Di-noc before? Would like to know the difference between Di-noc and yours...
henlo is offline Find More Posts by henlo
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement carbon fiber tube? I broke the big one. It looks like it's 3/8 inch diameter and very long. I'm having trouble sourcing one. Thanks!
jb_bak is offline Find More Posts by jb_bak
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:20 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
jb,
in the US, you can try a place called GoodWinds. i know of them from my kiting days & the cabon tube i ordered for my Art-Tech Diamond 2500 wings.

http://www.goodwinds.com/

once you get your measurements exact, check their catalogue.

cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:32 PM
failure is not an option
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
3 bladers definitely won't move out of the way on landing, and will break.
They're also a pain to balance.

ian
ian, I saw a folded 3-blades, but i dont remember where....
any info??
peppe_i8uza is offline Find More Posts by peppe_i8uza
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:36 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,316 Posts
You can buy folding 3-blades here:
http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ropellers.aspx
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
When I said 3 bladers were a pain to balance, 3 bladed folders, especially so.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:44 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
When I said 3 bladers were a pain to balance, 3 bladed folders, especially so.

ian
So, for the record - what is the process....to balance 3 bladed folders?
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
NOT for the record, but ................................
The ones I buy usually come in packages of 2. I'll buy 2 or 3 packages. I'll weigh them all on a gram scale and pick the 3 closest ones. I can usually find 3 that is within a gram and I pick the lightest ones. I put those on and go for broke. So far, so good. If I break one, I'll go to the remaining new ones, and sand off a little at a time on the back side of the blade till the weight matches the others.
It is possible to balance a triple when mounted on the central hub. Just adjust the bolts really tight so the blades can't swing. Flatten them all out on a flat table and put it on the balancer. Sand the back side of the heavy one, repeat as many times as necessary. I balance fixed 3-bladers that way and it seems to work well. This is using such blades on low kv motors that don't have extreme high rpm. A high speed motor will spin the thing so fast that even the smallest imbalance will cause problems. The Scimitar I use my triple on has a 32 size, 1010kv motor and it spins it without any apparent harsh imbalance. I think most motors used on X8s are in that same kv range. I use a 1000kv motor.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
Well, the process to balance a regular folder is to carefully tape all the blades to the hub
(using exactly the same amount of tape in exactly the same place so the tape doesn't
throw off the balance) or tighten the bolts down (for that type of folding hub) so
that the blades stick out at exactly the same angle. Then mount in regular prop balancer and go to work
either adding weight to light blades (with tape or CA) or removing weight from heavy blades by sanding them.
What makes this a pain is it's very hard to keep the blades from moving around on the hub or shifting
on their pins and the balance changes dynamically if the blades move out of alignment (not in same plane) with
each other. Also made trickier because the blades are bent at the hub so can't tape them straight out.
I've done it a few times, with limited success, and usually just resort to replacing the
blades with a brand new set that are pre-balanced. I have found that mixing a blade from
one set of two with a blade from another usually guarantees they won' be balanced.
The problem with a 3 blade setup is that they don't sell blades in sets of 3, so you're likely
to find that using one blade from one set and matching it with another set of 2, will
mean it starts out of balance, and then add in all the hassle above, plus trying to distinguish
between a single heavy blade, and two blades moving a bit on their pins which will
appear to be heavy. It's a mess.

Note that it's a lot more critical to get the balance perfect on an FPV plane, otherwise you'll
end up with jello in your video using CMOS cameras and such. On a LoS piloted plane
you can get away with a fair bit of vibes.

On the other hand, you could get lucky, but like everything else about the X8, for
what possible purpose would you go out of your way to make it so complicated?

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
I'm exploring the idea of sending my X8 up to around 30K feet with a 1300g weather balloon. If this goes well I might try higher. I have an APM2.5 that will autonomously fly back overhead and circle while coming down.

I need to strengthen the wings and elevons to handle the higher true airspeed anticipated. I was thinking of .73 oz fiberglass cloth on wings, and kevlar on the nose (I already have some, just finish off the upper part and cover the holes)

Can anyone shed light on ideas on getting the X8 up for the challenge? Maybe running an extra carbon fiber spar or two?
jb_bak is offline Find More Posts by jb_bak