SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:46 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,046 Posts
So who's going to have the grand honor of posting the first flight report?
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:08 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
I hope someone has a chance to fly and video over the weekend! I have to wait another week for mine.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:58 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
1+
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
First flight impressions...

Well she tracks very nicely, turns on a dime, snap rolls like a spinning top and speeds through the air with great ease. i'm really stoked. for an acrobatic plane, this thing has perfectly matched electronics.

I'm really please with how this plane flies.

i packed 2200 3s in the nose of my red 260 and my mate used a 1300mah in his blue 260.

the weight difference between 2200 and 1300 didn't affect cg much and both flew extremely well. i think i might have used 1 click of trim and it wasnt until his second flight that my mate put in one or two clicks - i love a plane that flies this well out of the box!!

on the 3d front... she certainly has large surfaces and whilst they look great for 3d, i think the motor might let it down in terms of pure 3d style flying. i didn't try much 3d, as my 3d skills are somewhat lacking, but my mate tried his with a little 3d and she did 'hang' for a while but, throttle response and motor power, even with lower weight 1300 was a little shy of what is needed for really good 3d work.

again, my 3d skills are crap, so for me, this thing flew 150% of what i wanted it to do. great rolls, great knife edges, lovely!. my mate was also 150% happy with his plane, even though he couldn't get much 3d action going.

not all goodness though... i only had two flights though, as my motor started to smoke up. i have a feeling that i have a crossed wire in the winding at the back of the motor. its happened to me before and they were the same symptoms. i just hope i didnt smoke her up too much. i'll open her up this week and see what i can find. there was a fair bit of moisture on the run way, but i dont think it was that. funny enough, the blue one came in after about 6 flights with a motor problem as well. he thinks it was an over heat from 3d stuff, but i have a feeling it may be the same issue as mine.

will report back on the motor front when i know..
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
p.s., sorry, no vids or pics, i forgot.. i had to do an airport run at 4am to drop off a friend at international and then whilst waiting for the sun to rise, i got side tracked watching "air crash investigations" on TV. Thankfully air crash inv' didn't effect the 260 maiden ;-)
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:40 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,259 Posts
Thanks for the flight reports!

Too bad about the motor already!

If your motor is pulling 27a like the other guy posted, I can see why it's dead already! A little 28-30 CAN'T take that many amps for long. Did you ever run yours up on a wattmeter?

How did it do for landings?
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
no i didn't get to do the watt meter thing. i dont have a meter, but i might get my mate to check his out.

landings were very smooth. this thing glides in very nicely (touch of nose down). i'm used to driving in these type of planes in under power and a decent speed before the final flare and touchdown, but with this one, dead sticks are no problems at all. she will stall, but you'd have to be trying to stall her.. (or just a newbie to these type of wings.)

my under carriage held up with no major problems - very small bend (must be my stylish dead stick landings..) but my mates ripped out. it was a 2 second job to glue the base plate back on with CA and he was in the air again in 5 minutes.

i think long term i will probably change out my landing gear, but i havent done any damage yet,,, so no rush ;-)
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
wow, 27a hey!. i must have missed that post. that cant be good..

i think i'm going to upgrade my engine.. anyone got any recommendations??

maybe i have too hastily rating electronics as perfectly matched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Thanks for the flight reports!

Too bad about the motor already!

If your motor is pulling 27a like the other guy posted, I can see why it's dead already! A little 28-30 CAN'T take that many amps for long. Did you ever run yours up on a wattmeter?

How did it do for landings?
Last edited by PMRfly; Apr 30, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:21 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,259 Posts
What kind of control throws did you use? All you could get?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:30 PM
USA, NC, Earl
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Either your numbers were typed wrong or your battery is VERY poor.

268w / 27.49a = 9.75v

Any pack that sags to less than 10v under load is bad news. If the pack is fully charged (and should be capable of the loads) I like to see them stay above 11v, at least for a while, and then slowly drop towards 10.5v.

I don't see this 28-30 motor lasting very long at all if it's pulling 27amps!
Will retest in the morning with several battery's and see. I have never gotten a plane from HK that had a ESC that was rated way over what they thought they could get away with.

WARNING WARNING programing my plane and I thought the ailerons were acting funny, well the servos were NOT GLUED into the wing, just stuck in there, so you might want to check, may have been a bad day on the production line that day.
nova50073 is offline Find More Posts by nova50073
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
USA, NC, Earl
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
manual does not mention the trow. Maybe an idea to take the settings adviced for my SU-26m which has the same size and very simular wingshape.

Ailerons Low rate
Up 3/4-inch (19mm)
Down 3/4-inch (19mm

Ailerons High rate
Up 1 1/4-inch (32mm)
Down 1 1/4-inch (32mm)

Elevator Low rate
Up 1-inch (25mm)
Down 1-inch (25mm)

Elevator High rate
Up 2-inch (50mm)
Down 2-inch (50mm)

Rudder Low rate
Up 1 1/2 inch (38mm)
Down 1 1/2-inch (38mm)

Rudder High rate
Up 2-inch (50mm)
Down 2-inch (50mm)

Maybe this will work....
Thank You, at least it is somewhere to start, might get it in the air sunday.
nova50073 is offline Find More Posts by nova50073
Old May 01, 2011, 05:49 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova50073 View Post
Will retest in the morning with several battery's and see. I have never gotten a plane from HK that had a ESC that was rated way over what they thought they could get away with.

WARNING WARNING programing my plane and I thought the ailerons were acting funny, well the servos were NOT GLUED into the wing, just stuck in there, so you might want to check, may have been a bad day on the production line that day.
Sorry... I forgot to mention, because I notided as well.

- secure the aileron servos. They are loose indeed. I used hotglue piston for it.
- check all the screws. One screw at the motor mounting was loose and also wise to check "all"other screws you see included the horns

ANYHOW: basic rule is to check everything twice.... I learned my lessons the hard way

The weight of the plane is 836gram with 2200 3s 25C Nano (which is 177gram).

Unlucky very windy here in Netherlands. Maybe this evening ...maiden.
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Last edited by TreeDiver; May 01, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old May 01, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
What type of battery Connector is on the ESC!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
And in case I missed it is there any information on what motor that comes with the plane so I can check out the website for more information.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 11:19 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
And in case I missed it is there any information on what motor that comes with the plane so I can check out the website for more information.
All that is mentioned is that it's a 28-30 motor. No mention of Kv, etc.

Here's a similar motor (notice the max amps at 17):

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail