SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:16 PM
Australia
Joined Dec 2004
73 Posts
That clip of the Battle of Britain stuff is great, I saw that movie as a bright eyed
kid at the old Savoy theatre in the corner of Christchurch square, from that day
I became a Warbird and old aeroplane nut. If you haven't seen the Battle of Britain
go out and get a copy, awesome. Great stuff Kaikokid and sorry to take this away
from P40s!

By the way the Buchons and Spitfire where sold recently so we may see some of
them airborne in the near, or distant, future?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Interesting.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzeux7ZfFuQ
Of coarse he's never flown a P40 ?

One for Dan.
Desert Hawks by Robert Taylor ( $320.00)
Attachment 7054729
http://www.aviationarthangar.com/p40warhawk.html
A flight of Kittyhawks of No. 3 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force on a strike mission over the North African Desert in January 1942, in the build-up to the Battle of Alamein. No. 3 Squadron RAAF was the first in the desert to achieve 100 confirmed victories, and continuing in combat throughout the fighting in North Africa, became the squadron with the highest number of air victories of the Desert Air Force squadrons.

Signatures:

•Nicky BARR
•Bobby GIBBES
•Peter JEFFREY
•Alan RAWLINSON

Interesting that out of the 36 different paintings of P40's about 30 of them have sharks mouths.

Also I became so focused on trying to get the fairings right I completely overlooked the fact that I had inadvertently downsized the wings !
Attachment 7054759
Back to the drawing board. Such fun.

And an interesting glimpse back at P40ish times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-_...MOVkZg-XrU3yUw
Society sure has changed. Could we go back and live like that ? Seems like it's every man for himself now. Just an illusion perhaps...human nature won't have changed I'm sure. But the war must have changed peoples attitudes just for a little while.

Brent.

As a footnote....
THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN

Bf-109s

The Messerschmidt Bf-109 fighters used in the movie were actually Spanish-built Buchons, built under license by the Spanish and being very similar to the Me-109 (Bf-109). The main difference was that a Merlin engine was used instead of the Daimler-Benz engine used in the German WWII fighters. In order for the aircraft to better represent a 1940 Bf-109E fake cannon barrels were added to the wings and fake machine guns were added to the upper engine cowling. Tailplane struts were also added, and the rounded wingtips were removed. The movie production company was fortunate in that as they started their search for available German fighters the Spanish air force had just retired their entire fleet of Buchons. A large pile of scrapped Buchons was purchased at auction, and 19 aircraft were reconstructed from the salvage to be used in the movie.
Peter Phillipps is offline Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:33 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,576 Posts
I have watched that film so many times since I saw the premier in London UK.

I still love to hear the 109s scream over the french airfield strafing it at low level

Pity they did not have the DB motor
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:46 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,470 Posts
Cheers Peter. Glad you enjoyed it.
The movie was great for me also back then. It got the general gist of the story right and made 'us' all feel proud. But 'Hollywood' stuff can also run rough shot over the facts and even completely distort them.
Samsung's official curved TV ad (0 min 31 sec)

Notice how the Emperor gives him the thumbs down...well back in those days a thumbs down meant "NO you can't kill him"
Such a nit-picker !
I remember way back then been aware of my dad and co having a laugh at many of those war time movies. Some of those 'old' guys could get quite worked up over the fact that the wrong jeep or uniform was been used. It was dear to them but due to my ignorance it didn't seem so important to me. Things have changed. I hope Peter Jackson gets it mostly right with his Dambusters movie. Lord knows we've had enough hobbits.

Brent.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:57 PM
Australia
Joined Dec 2004
73 Posts
I used to be a bit fussy about accuracy in my youth, I guess my rivet counting days have mellowed with age.
In the case of the Battle of Britain they could never had made that movie as well without the Buchons. As
many would know they did use models in many scenes and you can tell this. In some respects we are lucky
they had the Buchons at all? Another great movie with from the Battle of Britain era, Dark Blue World,
chase it down and watch it, great film! Check out for the train attack scene, link below, way cool!

Train attack (2 min 14 sec)

The most expensive scene in Czech cinematography history, worth every cent!

Sorry folks back to big P40's..............
Peter Phillipps is offline Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Last edited by Peter Phillipps; Aug 29, 2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,470 Posts
Scale LG.

Take a look at this....http://www.rcaf111fsquadron.com/aircraft.html
"3) George Maude: On the landing gear
George Maude bought a P-40 in a war surplus sale in 1946 (he also bought three Bolingbroke bombers). He told me about a further idiosyncrasy of the P-40. The landing gear could not be depended upon to lock itself into a secure in-place position just before landing. The prudent pilot needed to use a hand crank to be sure that it was locked and ready for landing.
Of course, in the excitement of a tricky landing, this detail was frequently forgotten. The Squadron Daily Diary has many accounts of landing gear failure."

I have a feeling the 'N' didn't have the hand crank for the LG in order to save weight. Dad has no memory of them what so ever !
This despite flying lots of different types including 'E's. So they can't have been THAT important ?
Anyhow....HK are just trying to stay 'true' to the sprit of the P40.

The only thing I would say about the LG for this model is that HK have provided nice wheels. There's plenty of room for them in the wheel well and they look so much better than those 'moped' wheels seen on many other models.

Brent.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:49 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
This is another favourite of mine .

P-47 Thunderbolt squadron during World War II - 1945 US Air Force Documentary (41 min 53 sec)

I don't think there a many models used in this footage as it appears to be pretty much a news doco from the front line.

I get back home in a while but I have been told that I have received some autographed photos of Angry Bee signed by the none other than its great pilot Flt Lt Ken Goldring and organized by his good friend who occasionally visits this site. I sure hope I can get to where he lives and shout a beer or two.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,470 Posts
Deserves a look.
Fav Warbirds (10 min 0 sec)

You know how old people go on and on about the same old things ? NO ! I'm not talking about myself.
Whenever we see blue skies with big cumulus clouds dad will often say " You can have a lot of fun chasing one another around those."
Name: fb72e43da.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 30.3 KB
Description:
I think those were his all time favourite experiences during the war. Might have been a bit different if it had been with the enemy.

Brent.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,470 Posts
Coffee ?

AVG stuff. Shark mouths !
Dick Rossi Interview - Flying Tiger and CNAC Pilot (41 min 19 sec)

Go to 25.20 at the very least.

Brent.
Old Today, 04:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,470 Posts
First up some nice photos...
Name: 10616683_10152329687518388_1284884373920292196_n.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 61.5 KB
Description: Name: 10649745_10152522699520753_3798786518574630243_n.jpg
Size: 15.6 KB
Description:
Those are empty shell cases coming out of the P40 in that 2nd photo. Notice the amount of pitch that prop has.

Now...my 3d printer arrived.
Name: prop 004.JPG
Size: 820.1 KB
Description: Name: prop 005.JPG
Size: 810.7 KB
Description:
It took 3hrs to print this first prop. It only just fits in lying down. Seemed to waste a lot of plastic with the raft and supports but has made a good job of the prop.... I think. I still need to sand it down etc.
It doesn't weigh much, about 20g I think. Not sure what the stock ones weigh. I wasn't really sure what I was doing but the machine took charge and I assumed it knew what it was doing. I noticed it didn't print it solid. However it doesn't seem too bad to me. I think it's much like the stock ones in regard to it's flexing/bending qualities. Of coarse the stock ones are a lot shorter so seem stiffer than the printed one which bends easier because there's more leverage.
Name: 1.PNG
Views: 3
Size: 206.9 KB
Description: Name: 2.PNG
Views: 3
Size: 102.0 KB
Description:
Some snipping shots from the computer showing the prop lay out and also the spinner as it could be in my 3d printer. Would like to know what you think of those Dan.

Brent.
Old Today, 05:02 AM
United States, OH, Mt Vernon
Joined Nov 2010
335 Posts
Anyone have any good replacement prop screws? I was putting my prop and hub together and all 3 screws snapped off the heads without screwing in all the way.
00Smurf is online now Find More Posts by 00Smurf
Old Today, 05:36 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,418 Posts
Congrats on your first 3D print! Yes, you will use plenty of ABS for support material.
Enjoy!

Looks like you've got more build area than me. That spinner assy layout would probably fail on mine.

Cheers,

Dan
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:53 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Smurf View Post
Anyone have any good replacement prop screws? I was putting my prop and hub together and all 3 screws snapped off the heads without screwing in all the way.
I cut the screws short, because mine were too long. The holes are not tapped, so you can use any corse thread screw that fits. You could even drill the holes bigger to accommodate a larger screw if you needed to. It's not that critical.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Today, 06:42 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Smurf View Post
There was instruction from Andy Chen, the designer of this airplane, that the prop screws were only to be put in until they just touch the back plate on the back side of the prop blade. They are not to be threaded into it any.

Don't like that method much. It works o.k. but leaves the outer screw boss to take all the force from the screw if the blade begins to throw out of the socket. I drilled about a 3mm recess into the back plate where the screw point would touch to give two points where the screw would be supported. It still is just 'nested' in that hole, not threaded in.

I used some #4 sheet metal screws to build up one of my spare prop assemblies and it seems to be adequate.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Today, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,470 Posts
3d printed prop ....round 1.

A little better than just a still photo I guess...
3d prop 001 (3 min 42 sec)

Of coarse Ging HAD to be there.

Brent.
Old Today, 07:08 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,632 Posts
Very impressive, Brent. /\
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82