HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
Anyone got any tips for flying the RP in 10-15mph wind?
The RP easily handles 10-15 MPH winds. Just be sure to launch & land directly into the wind, and be sure to keep the wings level during the landing. If it's gusty & turbulent, bring her in clean & land a bit faster. If you usually fly with a neutral or near-neutral CG in calm conditions, move it forward a bit for better wind-penetration. In stronger winds, use a higher-capacity pack to add some ballast.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby58 View Post

For info, I emailed Spektrum the other day, see below.

Hi guys,

I am trying to find out which receivers have Preset Failsafe, and not just Smartsafe.

Your article under 'technology' explains about Smartsafe, but no mention anywhere on your site about Preset failsafe.

Some of us want receivers with preset failsafe, and it would be handy to list the receivers with this feature.

At the moment, if I want to know, I have to download EVER receiver manual to see if it has it

Hopefully, they will do something about it, and make it easier for us to find the info.
Follow up to this. First reply was
All receivers are capable of traditional preset failsafe (fail safe set when binding to a predetermined position) Below are the instructions for preset failsafe.
To which I replied that that was wrong info, as I had tried PreSet Failsafe with a Rx and it didnt work.

Follow up reply from Horizon Hobbies

I apologize, It appears you are correct in that the AR6100 is not capable of preset fail safe. I did some more research on this and not all receivers are capable (obviously). Currently we do not have a list available of those that do and those that do not have preset fail safe available. Are there any receivers in particular you're looking for I might be able to research for you? I would need to check the receivers individually.

So, I intend to respond and ask them to list the info on the website so we can all check.
Moby58 is online now Find More Posts by Moby58
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Don't turn downwind. Fly crosswind and then turn into the wind 180 degrees and then fly crosswind and turn upwind again. Fly in figure 8s this way and always keep it going upwind

And actually, depending on the wind, you keep the nose turned upwind so your ground track stays horizontal so maybe your turns are closer to 120 degrees than a full 180
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:28 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,952 Posts
Thank you for your efforts Moby58. The strange thing is that the basic DSM2 receivers in the Parkzone micros have this ability, even though they don't make a big deal about it in their documentation. I am referring to the AR6400 in the micro Corsair, and also the 3 channel receivers in the Vapor, Ember, and Mustang. If you have any of these planes, it is easy to see for yourself that it works.

I was suspecting this functionality might have been lost in the switch from DSM2 to DSMX, so I asked about it in July on the DX6i forum. There was a Spektrum representative named Andy Kunz who used to contribute to that forum and he was a great source of information. Here is his answer to my question about the possibility of using DSMX receivers in DSM2 mode in order to possibly activate that failsafe feature

"It's not a function of DSMX. Different receivers have different failsafes. Just read up on which type you want and purchase appropriately. The AR6255 also has preset failsafe on all channels."
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
544 Posts
Quote:
1. Remain upwind of your intended landing area, at least while low and slow.

2. Add 8 to 10 oz of ballast inside the wing spar. A larger battery helps, but ballast in the wing spar is better.

3. With the programming you have in place, select FM1 (normal), flip AUX2 up (reflex) and add elevator down trim. Combine this with ballast for even better upwind penetration.

4. Fly a bit faster than usual until a second or two before touching the ground.

Mild crow/flap while holding its nose low brings it right down. This allows a higher faster approach providing better control response and wider safety margin (clearing trees, fences, etc.), then drop rapidly to the ground under full control.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:58 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Rick, I respectfully disagree. First the Mystique is around than a $100 more than the Radian and Radian Pro plus the cost of all the electrics. For $100 you can buy more than 2 spare R and RP fuselages to fix your "measured wrong". And that is key... "measured wrong". We have all done it whether is it modeling or in the home, remodelling. Measure twice cut once yada, yada, yada.

In the case of foamies like the R and RP; if you measured wrong, mod it again and fix it. It's not like cutting your last 2 X 4 too short and sending more on gas to go and buy another.

There are folk who will mod regardless of how great others think any particular craft performs.

I mod therfore I exist ( with apologies to Descartes )

Alan
We can disagree. So far, I've gone through about 3 1/2 radians . . . All I'm saying is that modifications can run up your tab . .

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:40 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Don't turn downwind.
...you keep the nose turned upwind so your ground track stays horizontal so maybe your turns are closer to 120 degrees...
Sounds like tacking a sailboat.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:04 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,275 Posts
Quote:

> FLYING IN WIND - Ballast
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=315

You may also find these interesting

Thermaling for Beginners
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208889

BIRDS, THERMALS AND SOARING FLIGHT
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/nature/q0253.shtml

Thermal Scout – A low cost thermal detector
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404609
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 13, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Thanks guys, I guess I should have been better prepared for the windy day yesterday and asked these questions before hand. Oh well live and learn, now I know. 10-15 seems to be the common wind speed around here at the time of day I have to go fly so I should probably just fix my plane to always be ready for it, and be able to change it if it happens to be calm. I had a 1300mah battery put all the way back in the hole which made the plane balance level at 77mm. Looks like bringing the CG forward a bit could help.

I don't know any way to add ballast in the wing spar, but I've got access to plenty of automotive wheel weights. I could add a 5 gram on each side under the wing spar between the plastic and foam. Would that work? I also have some 2200mah batteries, but I think they would just be too heavy all together.

Once my plane started getting away from me down wind is it possible that the flimsy tail boom had something to do with the trouble I was having getting it turned back around? I don't know if it did or not, but I do know my rudder and elevator wasn't doing much for me.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,502 Posts
Quote:
I don't know any way to add ballast in the wing spar ...
Insert a length of steel rod (rebar) into the spar. You can try various lengths, using wood dowels at each end to center them.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:19 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,234 Posts
I would fly with the heavier battery in those winds, that is what works for me.

Quote:
Thanks guys, I guess I should have been better prepared for the windy day yesterday and asked these questions before hand. Oh well live and learn, now I know. 10-15 seems to be the common wind speed around here at the time of day I have to go fly so I should probably just fix my plane to always be ready for it, and be able to change it if it happens to be calm. I had a 1300mah battery put all the way back in the hole which made the plane balance level at 77mm. Looks like bringing the CG forward a bit could help.

I don't know any way to add ballast in the wing spar, but I've got access to plenty of automotive wheel weights. I could add a 5 gram on each side under the wing spar between the plastic and foam. Would that work? I also have some 2200mah batteries, but I think they would just be too heavy all together.

Once my plane started getting away from me down wind is it possible that the flimsy tail boom had something to do with the trouble I was having getting it turned back around? I don't know if it did or not, but I do know my rudder and elevator wasn't doing much for me.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:33 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,275 Posts
Quote:
snip...

I don't know any way to add ballast in the wing spar, but I've got access to plenty of automotive wheel weights.

snip....
As mentioned in the article at the link I posted, you use a piece of steel rod. Did you read the article on flying in wind?????

I buy mine at Home Depot. They have a bin of smooth rod and threaded rod. I think mine is 1/4" or 5/16 smooth rod, cut to the length of the wing rod. Weighs about 5 ounces.

I just slide it inside the wing rod and put the wings on as usual. Nothing else to do. Works great. I use it for slope soaring too.

I can put in a thicker rod that goes to about 7 oz, I think, but I dont' find that I need it. Some people buy the thickest steel rod that will fit inside the wing rod, then make up dowel spacers and vary the mix of wood and steel to get the weight they want. That works, but too much bother for me. If I needed more weight I would just have a second rod.

I cut a hole in the foam in my Radian box so the rod can slide in and be held in place. It lives in the box with the Radian so I always have it with me.

SOOOO easy!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 13, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
As mentioned in the article at the link I posted, you use a piece of steel rod. Did you read the article on flying in wind?????
Actually the first couple times I clicked on it, the link did not come up on my phone, then after I responded I seen that you added more links and the first one worked. I'm reading it now, seems to be exactly the type of article I've been looking for! Thanks!

I will be off to Home Depot soon to look for that rod, thanks also for that info!
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:

You probably know this, but going downwind in a 15 mph wind you need a ground speed of about 35 mph to have an airspeed of 20mph. Less than 20mph airspeed and the control response will begin to lessen.

Not to mention that dreaded downwind turn....LOL.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,206 Posts
Sat RX placement

I just bought a used Rad. Pro without RX. I have an AR8000 and an AR6115e. I was thinking of installing the AR8000 but can't find a good place for the Sat. Would it work OK if mounted on top of the ESC? Or should I just use the AR6115e?

Whadda ya think?
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob