HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2003, 12:31 PM
Joined Apr 2003
14 Posts
Corona/AF Lift Problems

Hello all, this is my maiden post.

I have a Corona 120 and my Fusion just blew up. I purchased an Atomic Force and installed it last night. The Heli hovers 4-6 ft at 1/2 throttle, but that's it. There is no additional lift between 1/2 - Full.

I have not yet installed the provided capacitors, but that shouldn't make a difference. Right? Those are provided for RX interference.

I have checked the pinion gear and main shaft set screws. Everything appears tight, no slippage.

I am using a JR 662 radio.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

hobbes74 is offline Find More Posts by hobbes74
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2003, 01:01 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hello hobbes74. Welcome to E-Zone! I came on board last October and it is great!
Obviously you are not getting any more head speed past 1/2 throttle. If there was slippage, you probably would hear it (it happened to me and I heard a definate increase in motor rpm). The only thing I can think of is that your throttle curve on your Radio might not be dialed in to max 100%. Are you using conventional 7 cell nicad batteries, 9 tooth pinion, ESC? It can't hurt to solder your capacitors on. You can solder directly to the little metal tab bewteen your posative/negative so there is no need to solder to the Can itself. Someone else will have some ideas as well... Best wishes and let us know
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old Apr 03, 2003, 01:05 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,387 Posts
A couple of thoughts.

Are you using your radio in Heli mode ?
If so, are the pitch and/or throttle curves set up so that they turn the speed controller on fully ?

If not in heli mode same thing for the throttle channel.

What type of connectors are you using ?
Some connectors have very high resistance.

Are the connections to your motor soldered on or are they the friction connectors ?

Are your brushes seated properly ?

Do you have too tight a gear mesh in your pinion gear or tail gear ?

Are the batteries you are using capable of supplying the 18 Amps required to hover ?
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Apr 03, 2003 at 01:08 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2003, 01:49 PM
Joined Apr 2003
14 Posts
Thanks both for your quick response. To answer a few questions:

Yes, the TX is in HE mode. Regarding the pitch and curve, is this the same as travel adj? I set that to 125% in both directions. Unfortunately, I don't have my manual to look up throw and pitch.

I am running the stock ESC, 7-cell GP 3300 packs, and 9 tooth pinion. The gear mess had a little play, so I don't think it is too tight.

Brushes are brand new (as is the motor) and seem to be seated properly.

Connectors are friction.

The speed controller not fully engaging seems to be the most logical, which would mean the problem is in my TX. Damn, wish I had that manual...

Thanks guys, I will let you know what I find.
Old Apr 03, 2003, 02:29 PM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
Sounds to me it is the setting in the Tx, go to the website, as most manufacturers have downloadable or viewable manuals for the radio systems.

Try this link, maybe you can use one of these to check your's.
Radio Manuals @ Radio Information

Other JR Manuals -- Including the JR XP652 (Similar?)

Hope this helps you out, you'll love flying the Corona!!
Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old Apr 03, 2003, 03:33 PM
Joined Apr 2003
14 Posts
I just reset all the data settings in the TX and the problem still exists.

Maybe a bad speed controller? I did literally fry the Fusion. However, it visually looks fine. The AF motor is not even warm after trying to fly it, so I think I can dismiss a bad motor.
Old Apr 03, 2003, 04:09 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,387 Posts
The reason that I asked about friction connectors on your motor is the fact that these connectors can have significant voltage drops at high currents.

Regardless of whether this is the problem, I believe it would be prudent to solder your connectors to the motor.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Apr 03, 2003, 04:25 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hello Martyn. Thanks for the good advise on soldering the friction connectors. I just use the regular Radio Shack ones, but will add a dab of solder to each one!
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old Apr 03, 2003, 04:33 PM
Joined Apr 2003
14 Posts
I just read the Pegasus 35P ESC manual. Have you guys programmed your ESC's to Option 2-Fixed Throttle Range?
Old Apr 03, 2003, 11:03 PM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
Did it fly ok with the Fusion motor?

If so, the AF motor my be defective.

Does the pinion have a little free play?

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
Old Apr 03, 2003, 11:57 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Ah, A VIRGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check to see if the AF motor has been advanced or retarded. That will cause a mojor power loss if set wrong.

Not sure if I read right, but get your radio out of heli mode and turn up the throttle ATV to 125%.

With the blades off, see if the motor keeps increasing RPM after mid stick.

Check the ESC for the throttle setting. I fly mine in auto end point and like the feel.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Apr 04, 2003, 11:18 AM
Joined Apr 2002
18 Posts
Timing

I think Fred is right. If the timing is set way off, the power will peak at about 1/2 throttle (I did it when I first got my AF as this was where it was factory set). Since the Corona flew with the EF7, there probably isn't a problem with radio or ESC unless either the ESC has a lot of resistence in the connections to the new motor.

Installing the caps is a good idea, but I'd be surprised if that is your problem. The caps help with glitching.

Andy
abrown is offline Find More Posts by abrown
Old Apr 04, 2003, 07:08 PM
Joined Apr 2003
14 Posts
Problem Solved (Kinda of)

I took the heli into the shop today and the first thing they said was "that motor has too many turns, no wonder it won't fly). Skeptical, I informed them this is what a lot of people are using.

They inspected the set up and I adjusted the timing. Still, the heli would get a foot off the ground.

I picked up a new Fusion motor to test. Sure enough, after installing the Fusion, I have my old heli back. Hovers great!

I will be the first to admit my disdain for the Fusion motor, but this will have to do until I make the Hacker plunge. The difference in power with my setup is HUGE.

Thanks guys for your help. I'm sure I will need it again in the near future.

Ben

p.s. Anybody want to buy an Atomic Force motor?
Old Apr 04, 2003, 07:15 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Sounds like you had a bum AF, or the timing was way off.

The AF will put the fusion to shame!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Apr 05, 2003, 04:31 PM
Charlotte NC
Joined Feb 2003
148 Posts
Re: Corona/AF Lift Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by hobbes74
I have a Corona 120 and my Fusion just blew up.
What do you mean blew up.. I have a fusion on mind.. sounds like I will be switching my motor out soon... once I can hover it.
hstewarth is offline Find More Posts by hstewarth