HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:04 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Discussion
Best way to cut plans from foam?

I am going to be taking a shot at my first scratch build tonight and was wondering the best way to cut the plans from foam? After taping the plans together should I trim close to the plane outline, lay it on the foam and then cut along the lines(cutting thru foam and paper) to cut out my model? Or should I cut the plans on the exact plane outline, lay on top of my foam, and then just trim around my paper template(only having to cut around the outside of the plan)? Hope this makes sense the way I wrote it

Thanks,
Jared
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:14 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined May 2007
279 Posts
I use sewing pins to fix each part (from paper plan) on the foam, and then use craft knife to trace around the edge.
saotome is offline Find More Posts by saotome
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:15 PM
Frequent Crasher Club
Crestview, FL
Joined Sep 2007
67 Posts
Good luck on the build! There will probably be a bunch of different ways of doing it and you have to try a few to find the one that works for you. The way I do it is to cut out the plan along the lines. After that I lay the plan on the foam and trace around the plan with a ball point pen. Then use a scalpel to cut out the plane. I like scapels with a #11 blade, they are real sharp, cheap and I just replace the blade after it gets dull. I got the box I use off Ebay and it came with a free handle. Whatever method you use just make sure you have a sharp blade and go slow, you don't have to cut all the way through on the first pass.

Hope this helps

Tod
pcfisher66 is offline Find More Posts by pcfisher66
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:19 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys , I'll putting them to good use tonight building my f22
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:46 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
918 Posts
I glue the plans on posterbord, then cut out templates from it. The templates can them be traced out on the foam, and they are reusable for later build/repairs.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Sep 09, 2008, 03:38 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin' roller
I glue the plans on posterbord, then cut out templates from it. The templates can them be traced out on the foam, and they are reusable for later build/repairs.
me to
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Sep 09, 2008, 03:53 PM
Joined Jul 2004
85 Posts
sticking plans to foam

I have been using a Scotch Restickable Glue Stick (catalog # 6314) to temporally attach plans to fff, epp, metal and balsa. The plans don't move around and it comes off cleanly. You can also leave it on for a couple of days as well. Just rub the stick directly on the back of your plans in spots, lay it on your material and rub it down. It is like the glue on Post-It-Notes.
Tcat is offline Find More Posts by Tcat
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:01 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
ForceFedDSM, if I were you, I would use this. www.phlatboyz.com It's the Phlatprinter. We're probably a little biased though

Mark and Trish
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:06 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram242
ForceFedDSM, if I were you, I would use this. www.phlatboyz.com It's the Phlatprinter. We're probably a little biased though

Mark and Trish
I can't wait to use mine!

For now I am stuck with printing on paper, taping the freaking pages, cutting out the templates, taping the templates to teh foam, cutting the foam around the templates.....and finally actually building the plane......

Like I said....I can't wait to actually use my PhlatPrinter......
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Sep 09, 2008, 06:41 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram242

Mark and Trish
I saw that, but since this is my first model, I figured it would be a little overkill for now BTW great work!
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:14 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,272 Posts
I cut out patterns and then apply glue stick to back around the perimeter(heavy).
Then I use a jumbo magic marker and put tip half on paper edge and other half on foam and trace it out. After you peel pattern off you can cut the patterns out with a rotary razor cutter(use large and small) and then use x-acto for sharp corners.

Then take patterns and stick on posterboard to save for next plane.

Rotary cutter:
http://www.amazon.com/Olfa-Extra-Lar...d_i=B000B7M8WU
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:25 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2008
72 Posts
BB52, could you describe this cutter and how it works? how is it better than a knife? Is it like a Dremel or what?

Rotary cutter:
http://www.amazon.com/Olfa-Extra-Lar...d_i=B000B7M8WU[/QUOTE]
Ondaweb is offline Find More Posts by Ondaweb
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:43 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,272 Posts
It is basically a razor blade that is disc shaped mounted in a handle.
I use the larger one on long strait cuts and smaller one on more curved cuts. Be very, very careful with this cutter as it will cut you bad if you slip. Stay's sharper longer than regular razor blades and would not trade them for nothing. Needs to be used with a cutting pad or similar surface to keep it from being dulled. Buy mine at a dollar store 3 in a pack for kitchen chopping veggies(cutting pads).

Blazer
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Sep 09, 2008, 08:07 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
121 Posts
I have a Fiskars rotary cutter that I use. I bought it at Walmart, and it is designed to use either 45mm or 65mm blades in it. It also have a nice full grip on it, a thumb release for retracting the blade, and a full wrap guard over your fingers. What I like about this is that if you put a 65mm blade on it and extend it to the 45mm setting. With this setting, you can easily cut 2 layers of FFF in one pass.

eboggs59
eboggs59 is online now Find More Posts by eboggs59
Old Sep 09, 2008, 08:13 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
121 Posts
Here is a link to my posting in 2005 regarding this. There is a pic of the rotary that I use.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378840

eboggs59
eboggs59 is online now Find More Posts by eboggs59