HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2002, 11:29 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I need HELP building skimmer 400

This is my first kit plane. And I have NO idea where to begin. The pieces need to be cut, the parts don't match the plans, etc...

What I need is help from someone who has built the skimmer 400 and can provide me with help along the way. I will supply pics as needed, but i would like to finish this plane by september.

jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2002, 10:12 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,499 Posts
September ?

Would that be September the 58th, Jay ?

I'm sure I offered you my help, in an IM ?

Perhaps it was a dream ?

I may never have made one of that particular model, but have designed and built many like it.

Good luck with it Jay, be sure to install all parts in the correct orientation

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Aug 09, 2002, 03:56 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Jay,

Am wondering if you ever got the photo (thru e-mail) of
aileron servo location and wing of my Skimmer (you asked me about 3 weeks ago).

Ron
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Old Aug 09, 2002, 04:54 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
kev,

You know I am gonig to talk to you about it.

electric flyier,

I didn't see how you placed your aileron servos so if you still have the pic send it to me at soholingo@aol.com.

Thanks,

Jay
Old Oct 17, 2002, 02:23 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
ok,

I finally got this thing going.... What is a shear web and any timps on building them?

Thanks,

j
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:04 AM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
soho, shear webbing are structural components of the wing that go between the top wing spar and the bottom wing spar in the skimmer. Use small pieces of balsa with the grain in this direction llllllll relative to the spars. They are placed between the ribs, starting from the root and continueing to about half way the width of the wing. Place and glue to the front and back of the main spars. you will have two webs between each rib.
They help in reducing the torsion flex or twisting motion of the wing. Dont leave these off, you might regret it.

Here is a quick drawing to illustrate

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Oct 17, 2002, 02:51 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
killer,

Thanks for the reply. I would have put this on only 1 side of the spar, but I like the idea of putting them on both sides of the main spar.

By the way, how do you guys keep CA from burning your eyes?????

thanks,

j
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:43 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,364 Posts
I am just done building one as well, my second.

I tell ya, the quality of that kit is terrible. Most of the wing ribs had to be cut out and various other parts like wing joiners don't fit without sanding. I guess that's what under $20 gets ya for a kit though.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Oct 17, 2002, 04:19 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
yes this is my first kit and I hill have to do a lot of sanding to get the wing surfaces smoothe.

mt_100, why is this your second skimmer kit? Did the first one buy the farm?

j
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:21 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,364 Posts
The first one...well, some of it is now part of the farm, literally.

I was flying in way too much wind, gusts to 30mph, and made my downwind turn, wind gusted and caught the wing tip, flipped it over and dove in from about 50 feet. Fuze was burried past the front wing dowel and in toothpicks, wing was fine. Picked up the pieces and salvaged the geat, threw the rest away because it wasn't repairable. Wing later died in a tree incident on an HLG fuze.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Oct 18, 2002, 01:38 PM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
CA Fumes

Soho,
There really isn't a perfect way to keep CA fumes from stinging your eyes, other than to use white glue.
A couple things I do is to work on a small area of the plane, then stand back when the CA "goes off". Using CA across an entire wing (or fuse) will increase the chances your face will be near the structure when the CA does its thing.
Another item is to get a small fan from, say, Wally World. Place it at the end of your bench to blow some of the fumes away from you. Make sure the instruction book is secure so it doesn't get blown to the wrong page. I guess ventilation is the key thing I'm trying to get across.

Have fun building! Remember to sand outside too, and wear a dustmask. Balsa dust will go everywhere. -- John
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz