HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:12 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
727 Posts
I hear you on the idea that you need to use what you have. I am based far away from decent prices and fast shipping, so I tend to do the same. At the moment I have three electric planes; the mossie, a HK 1600mm Skyraider and a TF P-40,....ALL of them fly on 6S 5000Mah packs :-) I get different flight times and performance, but I have 5 packs and I don't always fly all the planes.

I hope you find the best "mix" for yours, and hope to see it in its completed state soon!
Cathurga is online now Find More Posts by Cathurga
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:06 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post
I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, I guess. I had forgotten about the start amp loads on a data logger. On my My Mosquito, I'm using the Castle data logging ESCs, which are great because they give you the data for the full run of the motor. However, I've built these into the center wing, behind the "oil coolers" in the LE of the wing so it was more convenient to use another ESC for bench runs of the motor. These are the Turnigy dlux ESCs with built in data logging and only show max and min loads, along with RPM and other things. This really makes them worthless for doing an accurate test of a motor in varied conditions. They are good for what they are, and come at a more affordable price than the Castles but you get what you pay for. I finally started using the Wattmeter for the tests and now have a much better idea of where I want to be with the motor/prop combination.
Not a problem... I sometime ask too many questions but I like to be on the same page. Good to hear you are using the good stuff ( CC Esc's in the airplane) and yes they are more money but more features and dependability plus great factory backup if you should ever need it. And... the big feature is that you can fine tune the ESC's to suit the motor.

I put my esc's in the same place as yours as per earlier posts.
stegl is online now Find More Posts by stegl
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:46 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
727 Posts
Ok, I got two more flights on her this week, and she is still in one piece. It looks like my landing gear mods have worked well enough. Both landings were a little bouncy, but all has survived well.

I measured the amount of Mah I put back in after the maiden and it was 3100Mah so after a 5 min flight she is using just over half a pack. I will see what the 2nd and 3rd flight usage was, and then adjust my flight time. Ideally I would like 6 min of flight time, and have enough for a go-around if I need it. I make a point of managing my throttle and both flights this week, I was around half to 3/4 throttle with the occasional burst of full when entering turns into the wind.
The flights were great in that I was flying at sundown and the colors in the sky made it a great environment to be flying in. She looked good in the air and low wing fly-by's are a sight to behold! I have noticed that she has a bit of a 'wiggle' but all the flights thusfar have been in 10-13km/h winds so I am not sure whether this is having some effect. It is almost a dutch roll sort of thing that I associate with all the corsairs that I have had, just a little shimmy. Another factor could be that I have not got any gear doors on her, and those nacelles are like buckets, especially when going into turns. I am going to have a look at some gear door setup, either with some spring hinges and cables, or I will get some 9G servos hooked up to my DX18 sequencer.
I had my first landing with full flaps, and with the headwind I had going on, I had to nose her down quite a lot to get her to touch down, and then foolishly let off on the elevator as she did, and she wanted to climb again. Avoided a go-around, and after 3 hops she was down. The second landing I used no flaps and it was a bit easier to manage altitude with the throttle. It was all going perfectly until the first touch down, and again, I was almost still in a flare, and she wanted to climb again, so more bounces.....but she is down, and home safely.

Next on the list, along with the gear doors, is to put the leading edge slats on, although at this point, she is a surprisingly good 'glider' and I seem to have her under the weight that most people are flying them, so I might leave this mod for now.
I also want to do something about improving the 'rats-nest' of wiring, and also see if I can shorten the wires from battery to the ESC's.
I will also look at reducing some weight by getting rid of a few inches of cable by doing the above, and although I have been flying her on a redundant pack for the RX, I am going to see if I can reduce to ONE Rx pack, and this should gain me some weight consideration for the gear doors.
Then, some detailing. I am not going to go beserk on this plane, but I would like to get rid of the God of Death rubbish decal, paint my spinners to match (grey) and get a set of low bounce wheels, the foam ones on her now are from my TF P40, and she will need them back soon!

Keep up the mossie work lads, and I will try to get some footage of mine in the air this weekend.
Andy
Old Nov 15, 2013, 07:01 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,628 Posts
Seeing your, and other's, success in getting this beast to fly encourages me to keep going with mine. I'm nearly there on the construction. I just have the hinges to pin and then put all the big pieces together, like the wings and the tail parts. At this point, I'm only going to do enough to get the airplane in flying condition. If all goes well, I'll add details like the gear doors. I'll make the initial flights without them and then add them later. I plan to make mine operate like they did on the real Mosquito. On it, they were spring loaded closed and the landing gear pushed them open when the gear came down. This would seem to be the easiest, and lightest, way to do it on the model. I made the nose on my airplane removable and the battery pack will be inserted through this opening. Like you, I am working to make the power leads as short as possible. For flying, I will always be using a grass field. The big wheels should handle it OK and the grass should dampen out the bouncing that you are experiencing. We're rapidly approaching Winter, and snow, here, so I hope that I can get at least one successful flight in before it's too late and have to wait until Spring. However, since I've had this plane for at least four years, mostly just sitting on the shelf, unfinished, it's time to get it done, one way or another.

Jim
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Sep 2010
37 Posts
Cathurga, Andy,
I was busy and a bit out of the thread...its very nice to see You back here and congratulations for Your successful 2.Maiden, and thanks for your nice words.
Its a beast, that little Mosquito, but I love her so much,I will try to put some more weight
into the nose, because shes so tricky on the elevators...I wish You many nice flights

Andy
Spitty123 is offline Find More Posts by Spitty123
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
727 Posts
Jim,

Mine was on the build table for a year, but it is sometime worthwhile to take a slow approach with a build like this. Getting the motor/prop/battery combo was not so simple, and although we are not pioneers on this plane, I think there is a lot to be learned from this thread and the remnants of the RCU discussion.
I like your idea on the gear doors, and will look into that as an option. I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible on this bird, and that might be the way to go. I have seen it mentioned somewhere before, but never seen the details of how people have done it. I have some considerations myself, but always good to get the input of others, so freely show us your plans as they develop.

Andy, I find mine a little elevator sensitive, but I think my problem is more related to the build of the elevator so that I could have the linkages inside the body (I recall you did this too?) The horn I have on the elevator connector between the two halves, is very short and as a result, the mechanical link makes the ele very sensitive. When I was building, I never had much choice to make it longer or it would not fit, so I have a VERY short servo arm at the other end, and I use expo liberally. Although I love expo, I don't like imperfect mechanical connections unless I really have no choice. The servo resolution over it travel is reduced, and is not the best solution. But it is working ok for me right now.

I charged the batteries from Tuesdays flights, and put 3000 and 2800mah into each of the packs, so I have at least another minute of flight time in them. 6min with some reserve for a go-around is enough for me on this plane. I concentrate a lot with this one, and until she has done 10 perfect flights, I will still get the nerves, so any more than 6 mins, and I will be a wreck!!

Keep up the good work lads, and get them in the sky while you can!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:46 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
727 Posts
Racked up another 2 flights with her today, but kept the times down to 5min just to make sure that I have enough in reserve to bump it up to 6min. When I recharge the packs I used today, I will see how much goes in, and then make that call.
I am going to put her on the bench again this week, and try to shorten the batt-to-esc cables and also to look at the gear door option, and work a plan for them.

I had some troubles on take off on the first flight, she was veering off pretty sharply and I couldn't figure it out. After 2 aborted takeoffs, she went up easily. The landing was a little better than the previous, but I was carrying too much speed. I need to get the flap/elevator mix perfect before I use full flaps for landing. I feel they will be more controlled. I did some inspections after the first flight and found that one wheel was tighter than the other, and this resolved the take off problems I was having. She took off perfectly and I had a great flight. All the guys at the field stopped what they were doing to watch her. The landing was on stage one flaps, and a lot more controlled, but still with some bounce. I will keep working on it.

6 flights on her now, and I can see this being a good plane to take to the field regularly. The more time I get on her, the better I will learn her quirks, and I look forward to some confident flying, with maybe some more 'aerobatics', she is not an aerobatic bird, but maybe a roll or two in future flights.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:02 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,628 Posts
That's great. I'm glad that you are having the success with it. Are you using counter rotating props with your setup? Aside from sticky wheels, I think that this would help with the takeoff. I'll be using this setup but will also have a small amount of differential power programmed to mix with rudder. This will be deactivated with gear retraction. I feel that this would be good for ground handling and as long as I keep the mix to a minimum I don't think that it will hurt any. I'm also thinking about the flap/elevator mix as a good way to go. My Mosquito will be ready to go as soon as I do the final assembly of wings and tail surfaces, just a matter of lots of epoxy. I've been waiting as long as I could to do this since it's easier to handle the airplane during construction when it's in smaller modules.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:10 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,628 Posts
A busy place
Old Nov 22, 2013, 05:51 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,628 Posts
I'm finally finished with my Mosquito but I haven't decided yet when I'm going to try and see if it will actually fly. With a CG of 109mm, measured at the leading edge of the wing next to the fuselage, I'm at 16.3 pounds, with a pound of lead ballast added to the nose. From what I gather, this isn't totally out of line so I guess that I will have to try it sometime. Right now, it's snowing so I won't have to decide when to do it too soon.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:09 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,288 Posts
Looking good. Have a good one!
Dangaras is online now Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Nov 23, 2013, 02:30 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
727 Posts
That looks awesome! I especially like the spinners painted. I am going to do mine in grey, they look silly in silver, IMO.

16.3lbs is a little podgy, but I am sure it will fly ok, but you want to keep the speed up a bit. I have had some mixed landings with and without flaps, but in most instances I had some headwind so not really sure how effective they are in a calm scenario. I have never really done any proper stall tests, and I probably wont, I just don't know how easy it will be to recover.....so I keep the speed up a little on landings.
Normal flight envelope is good, but she does twitch about a bit in crosswinds....

Very nice looking plane you have, and I hope the snow abates enough for you to get her airborne! ..and GOOD LUCK. Be sure to send some photos!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:06 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,628 Posts
Thanks. I agree with you on the spinners. I can't imagine a Mosquito going to war with a couple of shiny spinners. I only had the olive drab paint for them but I think that I may go to gray, also, when I get some paint. I don't have a lot of optimism that my Mosquito will get off the ground and back in one piece But I will have to try it eventually. I'm going to wait until I get a blue sky with no wind and the field clear of snow and then I'll give it a go. I'll try to get it to as much speed as I can and then, hopefully, it will want to fly. My feeling, with this plane, is you only get to do one stall--so don't let it happen. I'll try to get videos.
Last edited by parkcityskier; Nov 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
37 Posts
Parkcityskier,

lovely, Your Mosquito, and good luck for your Maiden.

Keep the speed up, and some wind ( direct ) will helps to bring the groundspeed
on landing down.

Cathurga, You wrote :
"Andy, I find mine a little elevator sensitive, but I think my problem is more related to the build of the elevator so that I could have the linkages inside the body (I recall you did this too?)"
"Yes,I did it, and the horn was just around 15 mm.I now changed it.
Now I have a normal rudderhorn on one Elevator half, Im in hope, that will fix the Problem

Kind regards to all

Andy
Spitty123 is offline Find More Posts by Spitty123
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:45 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,816 Posts
I've been watching this thread for a long time now. Interesting to see the different ways of getting things done. All kinds of unique ideas.
I'm posting a pic of a very simplified drawing of a system I used to close the doors on the nacelle wheel doors. Scaling and size will have to be determined by the actual size and room within your nacelles.
I used this method after destroying several small servos, that always wanted to buzz or strip their gears at the slightest loads.
This has proved so far to be working good. Have a look, maybe you can use it or a modified version to solve the door issues some are having. fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley