HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:19 AM
Joined Apr 2014
54 Posts
Discussion
Are these good backyard rc cars?

Are these good backyard rc cars?

http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX01000 1/18 ruckus

http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX01001 Torment 1/18 4X4 Short course truck

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...o/18scale.html

http://helion-rc.com/animus18TR/ ANIMUS 18TR

http://helion-rc.com/animus18SC/ ANIMUS 18SC

Do these rc cars handle good in the grass but not tall grass
pricelessppp is offline Find More Posts by pricelessppp
Last edited by pricelessppp; Sep 27, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:27 AM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,718 Posts
1/18 scale cars and trucks are severely hindered by grass. To the point that they basically become useless. Unless you're running them on a putting green, any grass will be too long for that scale.

1/16 does a little better but not much. Ideally 1/10 or bigger is the way to go for backyard running.
fastmax is online now Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Sep 28, 2014, 04:24 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,007 Posts
disagree on that.... Different parts of the country have different grass, and the time of year matters too, as well as how often and how deep its mowed....

Here in Utah, I generally have no problem running 1/18 and 1/16 on grass (losi mini lst and mini e-revo) I used to run evem my mini quake on grass, but it really looked like a toy the way it bounced around....

Of those you listed, the rucus would be the best IMO, as it has the longest wheelbase.

Idealy yes 1/10 scale is the way to go if you want to play in a BIG grassy area, but only if its 4X4. 2 wheel drive, even in 1/10 scale, is crap on grass, don't even think about it. Going to 4 wheel drive 10th scale doubles or triples the cost, which is why I run 1/18.....

The other problem with 1/10 scale is the space it needs to run. If you are going to run this in your yard, unless you have a HUGE yard, 1/10 scale just isn't fun, you don't have enough room....

The best tip I can give for running 1/18 on grass is gear down. You will increase runtimes and decrease motor and battery temps. Most if not all 1/18 are set up out of the box to run on the street or packed dirt. Run them stock on grass and you will see high motor/esc/battery temps, and reduced runtime/motor life.... But simply changing out for a smaller pinion or bigger spur gear will increase the runtime by decreasing the load on the motor. You will lose a little top speed, which you wont notice on the grass, but you will gain increased acceleration, which you WILL notice on the grass....

I highly recommend a mini e-revo for grass running.... Its double the price if the ruckus even in its brushed verson, but handles WAY better, and you wont have to worry about stripped gears. (not that the ruckus is known for stripped gears, I don't know, I just know the e-revo uses sealed metal diffs, super tough)

Another one you might look at, is the latrax Teton for $150. Latrax is traxxas... I don't know why thye though they needed a new brand, but there it is. Unlike the others it actualy has separate RX and ESC, and is waterproof, so wet grass isn't an issue.... It also has a lifetime electronics warranty... and one of the features I like best about my mini e-revo, it has a training mode that limits it to 50% power...... great for new/young drivers, or for low traction conditions to keep from spinning your tires.... it also uses bearings, not bushings like a lot of 1/18 trucks do.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2014
678 Posts
1 inch of grass will stop these 1/18 scale in any state any grass..
ElectricMann is online now Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:41 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,007 Posts
you must have really sticky grass then.... that is the opposite of my experience. Even my mini quake, which was smaller than any in the above list, did ok in grass unless it had gone unmowed for 5-7 days with ample water so was growing fast..... That is, once I lowerd the gearing.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:28 AM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Idealy yes 1/10 scale is the way to go if you want to play in a BIG grassy area, but only if its 4X4. 2 wheel drive, even in 1/10 scale, is crap on grass, don't even think about it. Going to 4 wheel drive 10th scale doubles or triples the cost, which is why I run 1/18.....
We run 1/10 2wd short course trucks and stadium trucks on grass in the backyard and at parks constantly. They have zero issues with it. Rarely do they ever even get slowed down by it. I too own quite a few minis and micros and not a single one of them including the 4wd stuff can come close to performing as well as a 2wd 1/10 on grass or in the rough stuff.

An ECX Torment or Ruckus 1/10 brushed 2wd truck is barely more than a Latrax Teton and is infinitely more capable. The smaller scale stuff definitely has its place, and I love my minis/micros, especially for their versatility in confined areas, but they are not up to serious off road running.

Also I agree that there is a big difference in grass from one location to the next. However since we don't know the type of grass the author will be running in I simply couldn't recommend anything 1/18. 1/16 or 1/14 maybe. Still depends on how thick the grass is and how well it is maintained.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:05 AM
Joined Jul 2014
678 Posts
so what ur saying is a rc with tires less than 1.5 inches in height will go thru grass 1" tall so a rc with less than 3/4" ground clearance can magically do this..LOL.just not possible or feasible in real life fantasy is Great glade you have it
ElectricMann is online now Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Old Sep 30, 2014, 01:45 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMann View Post
so what ur saying is a rc with tires less than 1.5 inches in height will go thru grass 1" tall so a rc with less than 3/4" ground clearance can magically do this..LOL.just not possible or feasible in real life fantasy is Great glade you have it
Yes, because 1.5" tall grass isn't like a 1.5" tall solid wall. Grass will fold over easily when a car runs over it.

Sure it'll be slower than running on pavement, but it's not going to stop it dead in it's tracks.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:11 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax View Post
We run 1/10 2wd short course trucks and stadium trucks on grass in the backyard and at parks constantly. They have zero issues with it. Rarely do they ever even get slowed down by it. I too own quite a few minis and micros and not a single one of them including the 4wd stuff can come close to performing as well as a 2wd 1/10 on grass or in the rough stuff.

An ECX Torment or Ruckus 1/10 brushed 2wd truck is barely more than a Latrax Teton and is infinitely more capable. The smaller scale stuff definitely has its place, and I love my minis/micros, especially for their versatility in confined areas, but they are not up to serious off road running.

Also I agree that there is a big difference in grass from one location to the next. However since we don't know the type of grass the author will be running in I simply couldn't recommend anything 1/18. 1/16 or 1/14 maybe. Still depends on how thick the grass is and how well it is maintained.
A park is a much different scenario than a yard, the OP was asking about backyard cars, which, other than crawlers, no 1/10 fits IMO. You are right a 1/10th scale 2 wheel drive is fun at the park, as long as the grass is dry. A recent rain or morning dew sucks the fun away fast.
If what the OP is really looking for is something to run at the park, my recommendations would be very different.... For the average backyard, a micro fits. If my grass is too long to run my micros, its time to mow it .

As for the ruckus blowing away any micro, you obviously haven't raced one against a mini e-revo vxl. I would pit my stock mini revo against any stock 2 wheel drive 1/10 in the grass.....
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:34 PM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,718 Posts
Ahh but a mini e-revo is 1/16 not 1/18. My statement was specifically directed at the Teton which is considerably smaller than the revo.

My roommate has mini e-revo that we play with frequently, and while it is definitely more capable in the grass than most other minis it still does not cruise through the grass nearly as effortlessly as my 1/10 trucks. Now keep in mind that the grass around here is very lush and thick, and really slows down even 1/10 buggies.

What is this "stock 2 wheel drive 1/10" you refer to? I thought those were only spotted on rare occasion. Kinda like the sasquatch