Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:09 AM
Cloudrider
Manchester UK
Joined Feb 2008
205 Posts
Stab Weights

Sure do :-)

My Libelle Stab weighs approx 0.42 OZ My Blaster 3.5 Stab weighs approx 0.27 OZ

Couple this with an Elf Rudder and you effectively save HALF the Tail weight of a stock Libelle.
Which goes without saying is a massive saving in the nose!!!

Paul UK :-)
Cloudriderurt is offline Find More Posts by Cloudriderurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:58 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,950 Posts
What's it gonna cost to get all these parts from other planes?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:00 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
No extra nose weight, just the stock 4 cell. 😬
So this plane flies well without added ballast? Would that be best for thermal, or light wind sloping?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:07 AM
Cloudrider
Manchester UK
Joined Feb 2008
205 Posts
3CH DLG extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacketsRC View Post
What's it gonna cost to get all these parts from other planes?
Like most things I guess, if you want to move away from stock it's going to cost you more.
But if you are replacing parts for example, I'd say it's worth considering purely for the upgrade for DLG flying. Slope wise there's no real need, unless your compulsive and addicted to such purchasing
In real terms though you can offset some of the extra by subtracting the rudder servo cost with the tail upgrade. So it's not too bad tbh. Plus you loose all the sloppy tail nonsense and track well on launch.

Paul UK
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:18 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
YellowJackets, I've built two (and trashed one), and they both needed ~20g of weight in addition to their battery to balance.
barry d is online now Find More Posts by barry d
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:47 PM
Great Day for Up!
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Mar 2012
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudriderurt View Post
Like most things I guess, if you want to move away from stock it's going to cost you more.
But if you are replacing parts for example, I'd say it's worth considering purely for the upgrade for DLG flying. Slope wise there's no real need, unless your compulsive and addicted to such purchasing
In real terms though you can offset some of the extra by subtracting the rudder servo cost with the tail upgrade. So it's not too bad tbh. Plus you loose all the sloppy tail nonsense and track well on launch.

Paul UK
No Rudder?!! Sacrilege! I am very doubtful the Libelle is a more efficient flyer with no rudder. 10 ft more on launch? Perhaps... but other mods do more for that.

Next time we have 2 Libells on a light wind slope, I'll try and take a video of turn performance, one using rudder, one using aileron only. I will eat my shorts if the no-rudder bird can float like the one using its rudder. we could even strap an extra 6 grams on the CG of the bird "with" a rudder to make it a more accurate test (seeing as all the Libells in my area have not been declawed)

Stoked to try a lighter, full flying stab!
dadablacsheep is offline Find More Posts by dadablacsheep
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:34 AM
Cloudrider
Manchester UK
Joined Feb 2008
205 Posts
crossed swords perhaps

Did you skip the bit where I mentioned "I'd say it's worth considering purely for the upgrade for DLG flying" dada?..........

Paul UK
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:46 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,805 Posts
Dada, have you flown a Polaris rudderless? It might change your mind. That said I Like a real plane and rudder too.
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski