SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2013, 01:04 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
681 Posts
I'll give a smiley to the first person that identifies the muffler installed in that helicopter. I'll date myself a little here.....

Old stuff man:
The fact that your engine is tought to spin when the glow plug is tight is a good sign. It means that the engine is healthy and has not been abused. The flat on the shaft only needs to be that, a small flat on the shaft, nothing too deep. Just enoguh for the grub screw to sit on. If you can visualize the grub screw as it touches the shaft, the flat does not need to be much bigger than the contact area between the grub screw and the shaft. Here is an example:

A little smaller would be even better.

As a little historical background, Indentations or "flats" on shafts did not appear on helicopters until the late 90's and early 2000's.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Last edited by Rafael23cc; May 06, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2013, 01:05 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
681 Posts
Here is an even better example:

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old May 06, 2013, 03:07 PM
heli/plane/old stuff addict.
United States, MA, Winchendon
Joined Apr 2013
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael23cc View Post
I'll give a smiley to the first person that identifies the muffler installed in that helicopter. I'll date myself a little here.....

Old stuff man:
The fact that your engine is tought to spin when the glow plug is tight is a good sign. It means that the engine is healthy and has not been abused. The flat on the shaft only needs to be that, a small flat on the shaft, nothing too deep. Just enoguh for the grub screw to sit on. If you can visualize the grub screw as it touches the shaft, the flat does not need to be much bigger than the contact area between the grub screw and the shaft. Here is an example:

A little smaller would be even better.

As a little historical background, Indentations or "flats" on shafts did not appear on helicopters until the late 90's and early 2000's.

Rafael
wow thanks for the little bit of history. that muffler is a (extra quite) muffler for a 60 glow engine, i have the magazine it was ordered from so i could get more info on it of needed, they still did have the tube mufflers then this was just one of those deluxe models. I will try to make the little flat in it ASAP maybe next weekend.
old stuff man is offline Find More Posts by old stuff man